Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons I have learned recently

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Lessons I have learned recently

As many here know, I recently moved to a free state. I thought I would enumerate on the things that happened and the things I learned moving halfway across the nation. These are just from my perspective, YMMV.

1) Things I cherished for yers really weren't valuable for my long term good.

2) Some preps couldn't be taken so I shared with friends,

3) I divided things into 3 groups: 1, Need to have; 2, Good to have; 3, Nice to have. Guess how far I got. Need to have with a little bit of nice to have. An eye-opener for sure.

4) I'm not as young as I used to be! I really pushed myself and I am paying for it. A man's got to know his limitations.

5) Books, tools and equipment are more important than furnishings and decorations.

6) If you haven't used it or looked at it in 1 year, it is not important.

And finally: It's only stuff, and it's all God's stuff! I'm just taking care of it for him!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

I'll most likely shit myself

Glad you made it safe Grumpy. Good words of wisdom as well.

I'd hate to think about moving, that's one thing I detest doing. Of course sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

A laugh a minute
    3 yrs ago I told my grown kids Mom was done with taking care of everyone but me. I told them they are grown now, have their own family to raise and I was headed to the mountains. I left with only my clothes, Gym, 1 set of pots and pans, my computer, play station and a few small antiques to sell on ebay. Everything fit into the back of My Daughters truck. She drove me to my new home, 600 miles away from My kids and grand kids. I sold my furniture, truck, everything that would not fit into the back of a pickup truck. I never looked back and I have never regretted that move. I felt so free and like all the weight of the world came off my shoulders that day.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

For the Love of Cats

wow! great job Grump!

the whole Need/Want thing... is a killer.

careful now... things will start adding up on you again! hopefully you are done moving, and can start accumulating wants again!
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 02-13-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    As many here know, I recently moved to a free state. I thought I would enumerate on the things that happened and the things I learned moving halfway across the nation. These are just from my perspective, YMMV.

1) Things I cherished for yers really weren't valuable for my long term good.

2) Some preps couldn't be taken so I shared with friends,

3) I divided things into 3 groups: 1, Need to have; 2, Good to have; 3, Nice to have. Guess how far I got. Need to have with a little bit of nice to have. An eye-opener for sure.

4) I'm not as young as I used to be! I really pushed myself and I am paying for it. A man's got to know his limitations.

5) Books, tools and equipment are more important than furnishings and decorations.

6) If you haven't used it or looked at it in 1 year, it is not important.

And finally: It's only stuff, and it's all God's stuff! I'm just taking care of it for him!
    I can relate Grumpy, we just went through a big move and are doing the same thing. Still at it and still giving stuff to the kids. We are now regrouping .
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

prepguide
    Thanks for sharing this, good real world information and a terrific reminder to us all.

This weekend when K have more time I will continue to elucidate on my lessons. Right now I'm concentrating on adapting to my new job.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Walking on Sunshine

Good Luck, glad you made it and take two aspirin for the aches and pains

For the Love of Cats

So what is the new job?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

QA/QC Manager for a Ready Mix concrete company.

Quo Vadis?