Thread: Survival camping round 2 extended version (HD Video)

Survival camping round 2 extended version (HD Video)

Here is some footage of me and the guys refining our survival skills. I believe being able to survive in the wild is a major part of being prepared for SHTF. Let me know what you think. What we did wrong and what we did correctly. I know you guys have lots of experience and I like to learn from the best.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Great Video Guys! Love the Nightcrawler treats! A couple of points I want to point out that may help. . .

1- great video overall!
    2- information and product explanations was awesome!
    3- descriptions about environment and weather conditions really set the idea on what you was dealing with
    4- The walk to your location could have been shortcut, it was almost 13 minutes I think of the video.
    5- Set up your fire in a lincoln log or pyramid would have eliminated your firestarting time.
    6- There wasnt any footage of your evening, it switched from firestarting, to the log bench to morning, there wasnt alot of info in the middle, so kind of threw me off.
    7- what tools did you use for cutting wood, I saw a hatchet, did you have access to a saw? Maybe do a gear turn out as a intro to the video?

All in all, a great video man! You showed some of the issues with gear, starting with the water bottle at the very beginning. You show a perfect example why its important to field test not only your gear, but the way your gear is set up as well! Your buddy carrying the pillow/blanket combo could have tucked that under the flap of his pack, freeing up both hands, and as you stated in your video, it can be a PITA to carry, especially for a long distance. I like how you guys gathered up available resources along the way, planning ahead in case your location didnt have a available fire fuel source. Definitely a great job on the video, cant wait to see more! Mind if I ask what kind of camera was you using?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Thanks for the feedback! Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I LOVE learning from other people that's the main reason I document this stuff. I also agree the walk to the woods was too long probably should have been cut short. I was on the fence about leaving that in or not. The guy carrying his sleeping bag was not really prepared. Trent and I let the rookies we take with us fail a little bit so they learn from their mistakes. That's how we learned. I figured if I let him carry that stuff a half mile next time he would come prepared. I know he was trying to act like it was no big deal but I bet next time it will be strapped to his back. lol Trent and I had extra supplies to make up for our two rookies. In a real bug out that stuff would be for our wives who can't carry as much as we can.

We would really really like to get our wives to go with us but that's a challenge since they are only 70% convinced that they need these skills. Taking rookies with us kinda simulate what it will be like if we can't convince our wives that these skills are important.

I really like the advise about the fire starting. I will use that next time.

I was using a Cannon HF-R200. The batteries that comes with it only last like 15 minutes... I got a set of 4 from china that last 40 minutes each off ebay.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum.../vixia_hf_r200

If you get a camera make sure you get us some footage with it!

Edit: I think I'll do a video on what's in my current bag. My last pack video is seriously lacking. I do like the idea of using that as an intro to the next video.

Quote Originally Posted by Richarddbeck View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I LOVE learning from other people that's the main reason I document this stuff. I also agree the walk to the woods was too long probably should have been cut short. I was on the fence about leaving that in or not. The guy carrying his sleeping bag was not really prepared. Trent and I let the rookies we take with us fail a little bit so they learn from their mistakes. That's how we learned. I figured if I let him carry that stuff a half mile next time he would come prepared. I know he was trying to act like it was no big deal but I bet next time it will be strapped to his back. lol Trent and I had extra supplies to make up for our two rookies. In a real bug out that stuff would be for our wives who can't carry as much as we can.

We would really really like to get our wives to go with us but that's a challenge since they are only 70% convinced that they need these skills. Taking rookies with us kinda simulate what it will be like if we can't convince our wives that these skills are important.

I really like the advise about the fire starting. I will use that next time.

I was using a Cannon HF-R200. The batteries that comes with it only last like 15 minutes... I got a set of 4 from china that last 40 minutes each off ebay.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum.../vixia_hf_r200

If you get a camera make sure you get us some footage with it!

Edit: I think I'll do a video on what's in my current bag. My last pack video is seriously lacking. I do like the idea of using that as an intro to the next video.
    All in all, it still was an awesome video! The walk could have been cut short, but its all a learning process! I like the idea of taking new people out, gives perspective on what they need to bring to make it! I actually plan on doing a 3 day bugout this summer on the same exact thing you are doing, except Im using just my bugout bag and whats in it. Ive done this every year, just never thought to document it! So I hope you dont mind if I steal some of your ideas as well about the video aspect! The wife usually doesnt accompany me on my survival week, but this year I may try to get her and the kids to tag along just for shits and giggles! It may actually be a good learning experience for all of us. The wife has done a week long desert survival course with me, she didnt like it, (desert survival training and being pregnant didnt agree with her!) but she toughed it out, so maybe she may be up for a wilderness survival course! Anyways, as I said, great video, and I look forward to more in the future!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Gee. . . what did I say to deserve that Katrina?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Good video and I love the background tunes at the the start!
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    Gee. . . what did I say to deserve that Katrina?
    Some people are just harsh. lol

That would be great if you documented it. Don't worry about video style and the haters that will come out of the woodwork. People have been making videos for a long time. I don't claim any of the creative ideas in my videos. I'm sure if I look hard enough somebody has already done it in the past. I'm just sharing my experience for the benefit of others and myself. Feel free to do whatever you want. I will not call you a copy cat. I'm sure we all have a thing or two to learn. That's why I'm here. I love to learn new things.