Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I was that f'in stupid at one time...

CC Gray Panther
    So when someone tells me "Thank you for your service" I really don't care to hear it. It's like they "have" to tell you, like "whew, got that out of the way" it's almost like getting spit on sometimes. Those are just hollow words to me unless you really know, unless you BTDT.................

This part here BWRR has always driven me nuts since it started. When I came home in 1971 from Nam we treated like some kind of diseased animal. All I wanted was to come home and have a normal life. The looks ;stares and questions from people made you feel unwanted because they believed what ever the media said about us. I never wanted thanked or patted on the back ; just a job and a good woman to be with.
    Then about 20 ; 25 years later the same people decided that ; In my opinion it was politically correct to give us a big welcome home party and we'd forget the spiteful past . Well wars may end but memories of home coming never fade.

I'm not a bitter man because of it ; But it taught me just how easily people ( sheep ) are lead. Over the years I've been able to discern mostly those who truly mean it when they says thanks. Many times when myself or with my wife is in one of the big box stores and an employee says it I just kinda look at them with a blank stare. They probably think I stupid or senile. The other thing that really pisses me off and I've told people in no uncertain terms at times ; Do not call me a hero. For I am not a hero!! ; I'm just an average guy like many others who understood what being and growing up in America means and it's sacrifice of being one.
    To me the heroes are those who gave their all and are marked by tombstones. So over the years I've learn it's about being a patriot not patriotism.

I guess what I'm trying to say is a lot of people spout phrases that ring hollow because I believe it makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside. They don't know me or even take time to speak about my time. How can you thank us for something you probably know nothing about. Never been there or done that but know more than those of us who were. Brains are a funny organ.

As a side note a little story.
    Worked in steel mill ; 40 yrs. old or so and and had a couple girls and guys at lunch table asking me stupid shit about Nam. One guy said he was told we were baby killers and why did we kill babies? I said because they were easy pickings. ; Do you have some that need killed? He thought I was a smart ass. Told him he was a fucking idiot for believing everything he was told or read. Needless to say we never became friends and he always kept his distance from me if possible.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Best thing about your military ID: Military discount at several places.

Other than that, whoopeee.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Best thing about your military ID: Military discount at several places.

Other than that, whoopeee.

EB
    Only sometimes. What gets me is these places that have the flag flying outside, a sign in the window saying "We Support Our Troops" and say they appreciate our service but when you ask if they give a military discount the say 'sorry, we can't do that'.....what the heck? So exactly what is the point of all the bull you have around your store? Nothing but lies and things to make themselves feel better. They really don't care. Unless it's a veteran run business or they have a vet family member they just don't get it. It took us years of constantly asking the managers of Home Depot to finally get it. We told them that Lowes was doing it and we kept on them until it finally happened.
    I apologize for nothing...

LHK, I understand... What I normally do is, when I find somewhere that DOES offer MD, I put them on my list of places to shop.

I found out that Lowes gives 10%, so I get all my food buckets there. :-)

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Crotch Rocket

This thread has some commentary in it I'm not at all impressed with, so I'm going to use this as an opportunity to refer you all to this thread.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    This thread has some commentary in it I'm not at all impressed with, so I'm going to use this as an opportunity to refer you all to this thread.
    Noted.

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Claptrap's Problem Solver

This thread should have been in Town Hall to begin with. It has nothing to do with prepping.

General Discussion is one of the prepping forums thus conversations here should have something to do with prepping (but don't fit neatly into a different category like say water or bushcraft).

For routine, funny, joke, general or personal type threads Town Hall is your general catch-all category.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

To the post about Thank Yous. Folks I can see where you are coming from and why. And I agree lots of folks most likely think that getting their thank you out there gives them a warm fuzzy.
    But I have to point out another group that say the same thank you, but for a totally different reason. I fall into this group myself. We truely do want to thank you each and everyone for your sacrifice be it great or small. We have or have had family or friends that have served in years past or serve now. This being whether they were in war or in at piece time. Regardless you have given a part of your life to serve this country. Those of us who havent served but have been touched by someone elses service are greatful for you all.
    Please dont take this as a knock to your thoughts on the matter just wanted to point out some of us really do care.

Bacon saver

OK, my "Thank for this post" button don't work. But I know coming form you it's real, thanks Bacpacker.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

I'll most likely shit myself

It is brother. I bullshit ALOT but not about something like that.