Page 371 of 389 FirstFirst ... 271321361369370371372373381 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,710 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Getting the physical body back into shape. I have dropped almost 20 pounds since mid September.

Stocking up on some reloading components.

Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
    Years back we camped with a family that had a 3 burner gas stove. They are very cool. As Kesephist suggested I would get that propane adapter.

I'm big on the propane end of prepping - for the kitchen area I use a "tree" that I DIYed - vertical pipe coming off a 20lb BB size tank - couple of "Ts" midstaff for running auxiliary gear like a stove and the topper is a gas lantern ....

if you're looking to do some propane DIYing - Mr Heater company has a full assortment of the complete hose attachments but also the individual propane fittings ....

if you're out & about and see a propane BB garbaged - usually the tank isn't there but the hose attachment is - a single hose with a regulator and the all important tank fitting (approx $10 retail) - sometimes they split the hose into a double feed with a "Y" fitting .... pays to keep a 10" adjustable wrench handy ...

once and a great while you might get lucky and find a grill with a quik-connect tank fitting - important propane fitting to have in your prepper stock in the case of SHTF salvaging tanks .... finding even a partial filled tank and not being to access would be a pizzer ....

may be in trouble

Another 50# bag of rice, a 25# bag of pintos and a 25# bag of red beans. Getting the FM 2000, and scales to start making vacuum sealed 1 lb rations of the stuff. 75 per 5 gallon bucket. A resealable quart Ziploc full of vitamins, and a similiar resealable of buillion cubes for flavor.

Advice?

may be in trouble

Update: got the Foodsaver FM2000 last night & the scales. Didn't know that either rice was that cheap, or beans that pricy. And on review gonna go for 60 lb per bucket, not 75. An extra bucket to futz with, aye. Gonna go for the gamma lids, too. The pound ration will be 8/6/2, rice/pintos/red beans.

Walking on Sunshine

Kes,
    Don't know if you have a source for the seals but I got seals from this place.http://freckleface.com. they also sell the buckets and a few other things as well
    Katrina

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

+1 on Freckleface.com for Gamma seals and buckets in quantity.
    Just recently I bought 4 green buckets and matching Gamma seals fromhttps://pleasanthillgrain.com/preparedness/buckets-lids for another project.
    Also remember that it is not necessary to put a Gamma lid on each bucket. Ideally you would want them I only on buckets you are using. When you finish off a Gamma sealed bucket of beans, you can just open the next bucket of beans that was sealed with a much cheaper single use lid, and shift the contents to the bucket with the gamma lid. I have NOT been successful at removing a gamma seal ring from a bucket. They are built to last.
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Just recently I bought 4 green buckets and matching Gamma seals fromhttps://pleasanthillgrain.com/preparedness/buckets-lids for another project.
    Also remember that it is not necessary to put a Gamma lid on each bucket. Ideally you would want them I only on buckets you are using. When you finish off a Gamma sealed bucket of beans, you can just open the next bucket of beans that was sealed with a much cheaper single use lid, and shift the contents to the bucket with the gamma lid. I have NOT been successful at removing a gamma seal ring from a bucket. They are built to last.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaTea View Post

100% correct - for food create a bucket "pantry" after you crack open your various food long term storage buckets - I utilize the ability to buy a color mixed batch of Gamma lids .... that food needs to be protected from rodents, pests and the outside environment more than EVER - but you need eazy daily access - thus the screw top opening Gamma ....

another handy hint - you can buy zip lock type mylar bagging for closing the food up during a SHTF usage - better to get a quantity of the office supply binder clips and clinch that bag roll up - I've found the zip locks not to be fully bullet proof ....

some preppers like to buy the expensive Gamma for their long term buckets that are being created for permanent 10/15/20/25 year storage - Why?? - 3-4 times the $$$$ - put the $$$$ elsewhere into your prepping ....

another reason for using a standard locking lid vs Gamma for permanent storage - damage - they can't take a stacking load like a conventional lid - that food grade bucket is a critical part of the overall long term storage system ....

may be in trouble

Got a local source... not THE cheapest per unit, but I can pick them up, and reduce shipping worries. And while it does sound as though a sound notion in execution, I'm going with anything that needs sealing will be gamma'ed, in case I can't find a bucket wrench. (Got three of the damn things floating around.)

96 aawu

Kesephist

KI7CIL

Wifey just reminded me that we recently saw white Gamma Seal lids in our local Lowes. The price was $7.28 each.
    THAT is cheaper than just about every where else.