Page 42 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome new members! Introduce yourselves here

Hello Preppers.

I'm Highstrung both in name and nature. I'm a whopping 25 years old and have been married for seven years to Mrs. Highstrung. We've have a highstrung two year old and a very highstrung baby in Mrs. Highstrung's belly that just won't come out till January. I'm an electrician at a major steel corporation. I got that job mainly because I served in the Navy for six years as an electrician on board the USS George Washington, three of which were in Yokosuka, Japan. We live in the Memphis area now and that's where Mr. Highstrung became Mr. Very Highstrung. We didn't exactly find any oases right away. We got our healthy dose of fear served to us by the local populace who find it amusing to take by force what they want, be it physical items, sexual intercourse or your very life. After three years in Japan with the most subdued and generally polite people I think I'll ever meet, watching the news here was like a slap in the face.

And so, being a good husband and father, I worried about my family. We are over nine hours from the nearest family and have yet to make any close ties here. I bought a pistol and got my CCW. I've been teaching myself about personal defense in everyway I can think of. After a while though, another idea began to consume me. 'What will these people do if something big happened?' Be it a loss of power due to a storm or an economic collapse, I think I'm safe in assuming that they'll do 'whatever they want.' So, I started buying some food and making plans to get out of apartment living. I now own a house and although it is in subdivision, it's outside the city in a safe little town. I've always been an avid backpacker and practice primitive survival skills often. My goal now is to prepare to bug in and build a makeshift fortress when the SHTF. I've got no one to turn to and the idea of 'planning' to travel nine hours is just stupid. We plan to stay quiet always and dark at night.

Now we'll stock up on firewood and food, diapers and medicine. I'll keep enough lumber to board up the doors and black out the windows. We have a garden we keep up. Not much, but it'll be nice to have. I'm setting up a rain catchment system. As far as security goes, I just pitty anyone who tries to take us on.

If anyone is in the area and would like to network a little, feel free to drop me a PM, even if we never meet. It'd just be nice to bounce ideas around with someone in the area. Escape routes and stores to buy prepping items would be among the first few questions.

Nice to be here. Hope to learn a lot.

I'll most likely shit myself

Welcome to the forum HS. Glad you made it here. I'm pretty much across the state from you but feel free to bounce away.

I think you made a great call on getting out of the city. From what i hear Memphis is pretty rough. We used to live in Louisvill Ky and i would compare them closely. The rest of your plan sounds like your off to a good start on the other essentials as well. Take a good long look at your water situation both storage and ability to gather and filter. To me that has always been my top priority.

Thank you for your service BTW.

Where's the epi?

Welcome HS. Sorry to hear you ended up over near Memphis. Like Bp we are further east in the state (actually central TN) and made sure that we stayed our of the Memphis VA system (both prior military) when chosing our properties. I would guess if shtf you would be looking at a situation like New Orleans when Katrina hit, not a pretty sight. There is a lot of great info here and wonderful people to help you with your prepping questions....welcome to The Colony!
    I apologize for nothing...

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Welcome to the board.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Welcome in Highstrung. I'm on the other side of Nashvegas, but if you ever need anything, give me a shout. My wife is from Memphis, so I know all about your concerns.

There's a fairly high concentration of folks from the site scattered throughout the state. Settle in and make yourself at home.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Walking on Sunshine

Welcome to you and Mrs HS and family. Have her get on the ladies forum

GunnerMax
    Welcome abord former EM

GM2(EXW/SW/PSU) here

For the Love of Cats

Welcome!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

If I've missed you, I apologize. Welcome again to all the new folks!!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

A laugh a minute
    Welcome to the colony to all the new comers. Haven't been here lately. But I do want to welcome you.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.