Thread: Alarm Systems

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Alarm Systems

Anybody running one of those monitored alarm systems?

Any that you'd recommend over others?

Not sure which direction I am going on this. Would like to have a monitored one but we don't have a home phone and likely aren't getting one.

Then again, the main purpose for this would be to set off loud noises if someone tries to break in while we are home (or away, for that matter). The police/fire stuff is nice, but I'm really just looking for noise should Johny Methhead decide to come knocking.

Any experience yall have would be much appreciated. I hate calling in a salesdork because they are going to try to sell me the Fort Knox system instead of just educating me on the pros/cons of different systems.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Premium Member

I think they have them now that you can use with Vonage or the VOIP type phone lines now. My BIL is into this. Let me ask him and I'll get back with you.

I'll most likely shit myself

We got a system when we built back in 94 that can be monitored, but we never have. We got a package with smoke alarm and motion detector inside the house, the basement has a heat rate of rise detector. We also had all doors and windows set with detector that break when opened. We park in our basement so installed a control pnael there. Another on the top floor, master bedroom so we can set it before going to bed. The system has a couple of modes, one is Away mode, everything is fully armed. The other mode is stay, all perimeter alrams are hot, but the inside motion detector is turned off. We have a dog inside so that is very handy. mine is also expandable although not wirelessly to include an outside building.
    Bottom line, think thru what you feel you need, then talk to 2-3 different companies and see what they can offer. We went with one of the off brand co's. Got exactly what we wanted at what we felt was a good price.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

You can get monitoring through local stations much cheaper than through ADP and the big guys. They are the same ones that are often contracted by the big guys from what I understand. The hardware and monitoring are two different matters.

I have glass break sensors in every room with contact sensors on every entry point. I don't use motion sensors because I want the system armed when I am here. I am not as concerned about when I am not here, that is why I have insurance. I want to be alerted when I am here so I can take care of things, and since its monitored the police can come tag the body. I also have a smoke detector wired in, so if I am not home and there is a fire, the fire department can be notified.

My monitoring is 16.95 a month and is monitored via cellular signal (service included in the 16.95). This way criminals can't just cut the wires to disable the system. It has battery backup (which I replaced with a larger battery) so it works if the power is out.

Back in Nov. of 2014, my daughter arrived at her home around 8:30pm. As soon as she stepped inside, she could tell something was wrong and exited back to her car and called the local Sheriff. She does not know if someone was inside when she first went in or not, most likely it was a daytime burglary and entry through a glass door from her back deck.

She researched and bought a system similar to what backpacker described. All of those who might have a reason to enter her home when she is not there have a discreet code to enter. You have 30 seconds or the alarm goes off and the sheriff is notified. Seems to be a great system....EXCEPT...law enforcement is now saying that the bad guys now do not care if an alarm system is in place. They know it will usually take at least 5 minutes for a response to reach a house. That means the criminal has about 6 minutes to get in, ransack and quickly find valuables such as jewelry and get out before the good guys arrive. Now that does not mean an alram is not a good idea and in fact we may be installing the same system at our home. One fortunate situation for us is that our home is located on a deadend street, allowing only one way in/out. As a fairly tight knit community neighbors tend to call each other or sheriffs when a strange vehicle or "solicitor" is in the area.

Do you have a robot?
    Socal you are right about the cops. In our area I have contacted people in the past and ask them why they did not lock their doors. Their answer was they did not want to repair the door because no one would hear the crook breaking in. It is the same with an alarm, if no one can hear it the crooks then do not worry. If you live in a city the response time will be substantially shorter. If you live in the county then it could take an hour or more because alarms are not a priority. If you add snow or other environmental factors it could take until Spring. A hot prowl or a burglary in progress is a priority when someone is home but otherwise it is when they can get to it. So now what do you want to do, obviously keep people out. If you have an alarm and video then that has a deterrent effect. I want that but I also want to catch the dirt-bags too and video will do it better. They now have alarm systems which will alert you on your smart phone and will even allow you to watch live from the cameras in the house. Things I want in an alarm system would be the alarm, video, strobes both inside and out, and lastly an audible alert inside the home. The audible alert is important if it differentiates between a break in as apposed to a fire alarm. Mine says "Fire get out now". I recently had a complete remodel and I am going to replace my 20 year old system with a new wireless system. I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

One additional thing you said you live at the end of a dead end street. One thing some people are doing it getting with their neighbors and setting up camera at the entrance. This takes pictures of vehicles coming and going. It would give you a chance to find out who your neighbors are and what they are like. It never hurts to get the neighbors talking to each other.

Just my 2 cents
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    We have an ADT system, with the window break alert, motion detection, and carbon monoxide detection. The system was "free" to install, but with upgrades, the total was around $1400, not exactly free. Out monitoring is $52 a month. I know, way too much! I know it I cal, the police, or it it does, it will be about 20 minutes before a car arrives, unless one is close by when the call comes in. It is mainly to alert the neighbors who live about 1/4 mile down the road. They know if the alarm goes off for more than a minute to call me and check to see if everything is ok, and to call the police. Unless he is the one to break in.......

One other advantage of many systems is they can be set to go off immediately if a door or window is breached while you are home. Could be a huge advantage if you do not have a big dog! Those few seconds give you time to grab a means of defense and put in a 911 call.

Hey guys if you have any questions about alarm and home automation PM me. I install the Alarm.com systems.

No phone line required, it communicates by cellular. You can run preset patterns for lights and things to turn on and off. Or manually control it if you are stuck in traffic etc.
    You can be notified immediately by text message if a monitored door or sensor is tripped.
    It is also video camera friendly.
    You can get garage door sensors, gun safe sensors, tilt sensors, remote thermostats, 2 way voice.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.