Thread: Review: Kelvin 23 Multi-Tool

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Review: Kelvin 23 Multi-Tool

Here is a quickie review of the Kelvin Multi-tool that my wife got me for Christmas this year. The Kelvin is a little different than any tools I owned before, and I think is a nice addition to the range bag, or even a GHB that isn't highly limited on space from use as a multi-purpose bag, not just a dedicated GHB like mine.

Please keep in mind, multi-tools are NOT the right tool for ANY task that isn't an emergency, or one-time, "I'll just fix this with my multi-tool, I wish I had a roll around tool box of Snap-On tools" IMHO, a multi-tool is a jack of all trades, and a master of none.

Mine is The Kelvin 23, (23 tools in one) It's basically a switchblade screwdriver with storage for 16 interchangeable tips stored inside the housing of the handle, with a hinged full length cover. Each head sits in a hex shaped pocket, so nothing rattles, the cover can be opened one-handed, and stays closed well. The body of the screwdriver is longer than most drivers that would be associated with a standard folding multi-tool. The square driver is able to be locked in 2 positions: straight, and 90* angle for reaching tight spots as well as having a magnet for the screwdriver head, and an independent magnet on the side for picking up screws, or testing whether a bullet is steel case or copper washed (that's what I use it for) The handle/case that the screw heads, and driver shaft auto folds out of, is as large, or larger-than a medium sized screwdriver handle in circumference, which I've found beats the poop out of using a driver on a Leatherman, or Gerber, and is WAY MORE COMFORTABLE than holding a non-ergonomic sharp edged, too small handle when you need the extra grip. There is an LED light built into the Kelvin that does just happen to point down at the screwdriver end when using the driver fully extended... It's not a blinding light, but it's good enough for driving screws in the dark. There is a bubble level built in, which believe it or not, I found useful for little stuff non-gun related. There is a hammer built into the Kelvin, which once again, has come in handy, it's NOT heavy duty, in fact, it seems to be aluminum or "potmetal" as my old man calls low-grade metals, but it works 1000 times better than using the handle of your leatherman, or the blunt side of your pliers in a pinch.

The only things I've found that kinda suck...
    1. The Kelvin has a 6' tape measure, built in. I've found it to be kinda sorry, but I may have bent the little tab that keeps it from rolling up inside the yo-yo that auto retracts it back into the body of the Kelvin.
    2. Rust - This may be something I exposed it to, but the torx head screws that hold the body of the light together, have a light patina of rust.

I'm thinking of getting another one, just for my range bag. Wife's company has them for 50% off with our employee discount card.

Official Website: NINJA BLACK | kelvintools
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Thanks for the review. It looks like one of those cool to have items.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Great review, AK. I hate it when you guys do this to me. Now I need one.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

In his experience the hammer head is better

Its very cool. Good review!

What kind of warranty is on the tool? I think I'll stick with my leatherman.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by digdug18 View Post
    What kind of warranty is on the tool? I think I'll stick with my leatherman.
    It's really not a substitute for a leatherman, I carry one of those too, no pliers, no file, etc. on the Kelvin, it's a different set of tools, and is mostly useful for those screws or fasteners that need a little more elbow grease than what you can get with the drivers on a leatherman. This one has a hammer too, which is ok, but better than using any part of a more expensive tool for a hammer in a pinch.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.