Thread: Gear Review: CRKT Folts Minimalist

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Gear Review: CRKT Folts Minimalist

Finally, a chance to review something that's not a Gerber product...lol.

What I have today is a small knife made by Columbia River Knife and Tool.

This is the Folts Minimalist.

Weighing in at 1.6 ounces and having a blade length of 2.125 inches, this knife is perfect for EDC.

It is 5.13 inches in overall length.

CRKT markets this as a neck knife, but I have found it is very versatile as both a neck knife and as a belt mounted tool.

The knife includes a neck lanyard as well as a belt loop and the hardware to mount it.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The scales on this knife are made of a very attractive green micarta and feel good in the hand.

Even though it is small, it lends itself well to a variety of cutting tasks.

I've been carrying this knife on my belt for two weeks now, and am increasingly surprised at it's cutting ability.

I'm not one to carry on the neck, so I have been carrying it on my belt. I wear a wide riggers belt every day. The only problem I have encountered with the knife is that the included belt loop is to small to accommodate my rigger belt. To rectify this, I made some belt loops out of 550 cord.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

This knife is virtually undetectable when worn on the body. I love it.

Here it is next to my EDC Bechmade Auto-Stryker:

I paid $25.99 for mine, but as always, I am sure you can find a better deal out there. I just didn't feel like paying for shipping.

I would highly encourage this knife as a small backup for defense (check your local laws) or addition to your small survival kit.

FREAKIN AWESOME KNIFE!!

Izzy sends.

I'll most likely shit myself

I've got it's twin. I got the same knife back in October. You beat me by a buck.

I agree it is a nice little knife. I haven't used mine a ton, but it served well when I did. It seems to hold a decent edge as well. I could see it being useful in a GHB as a back up.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

What sorts of things have you cut with it Izzy?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    What sorts of things have you cut with it Izzy?
    nylon strap
    paracord
    hemp rope
    cardboard
    aluminum cans
    leather
    kydex
    myself

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I appreciate your candor Izzy!! I don't consider any of my knives broken in until I have personally made a blood sacrifice. ROFL
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Crotch Rocket

Same holds true for me, Grumpy. Hopefully less now that I have better appreciation for just how sharp I'm actually getting things. The 'hawk was my first clue. More recently I broke the tip off my EDC knife, and spent some time trying to get it pointy again (I gave up on doing it by hand, my knife guy will be getting a call soon).

Long story short, I used it after doing that, nicked my fingertip, and those who noticed it thought I had a paper cut. That definitively told me I really do discount my sharpening abilities, much as I've seen/ heard some other folks do of CRKT knives because they're "cheap". Inexpensive isn't cheap.

I don't have this particular knife, but I've EDC'ed and wholly abused a CRKT Crawford Falcon. I even used it to cut shingles on a small roofing job one day. It cleaned right up, took a new edge beautifully, and was my favored companion until I lost it. After reading izzy's review on this one I have no doubt their minimalist is just as bomb proof. Cool.

On another side note - I found my Falcon 3 months after I lost and, and within a week or two of buying a new knife. I love how that works.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!