Thread: Gear Review: CoiTac Firearm Video Camera From Combat Tactical

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues

Gear Review: CoiTac Firearm Video Camera From Combat Tactical

Ok folks, After seeing some of the great gear reviews, I decided to do one of my own! So heres the latest in Gear Queer Technology. . .

The Coitac Gun Video Camera from Combat Tactical.

• Rail Type:Picatinny
    • Rail Length:1.6 inch (+/- 2%)
    • Body Weight: 0.9 oz (+/- 2%)
    • Video Resolution: VGA 640x480
    • Operation System Compatibility: Window XP, Window Vista, Window 7
    • Recording Time: 1 hour
    • Battery: Rechargeable battery
    • Special: function: one touch on/off button
    • Free USB cable and 2GB MicroSD Card included

After seeing all of the issues with CCW going on right now with the Zimmerman case, I began wondering if there was a camera system out there that attached to a ccw firearm. This way, if you had to deploy your sidearm in a self defensive posture, there would be video evidence of it to back up any claim you would have. Well after a little bit of research, I found this little gem. MSRP on it is $59.00 and I got free shipping on it as well.

So after a very quick turnaround, I believe from ordering it to receiving it, was only 4 days from California, I went ahead and mounted it on my 1911 and gave it a few test runs. Here is a few pics of it mounted on the 1911.

Pros:
    • Small lightweight platform that does exactly what you would expect it to.
    • Has a picatinny rail underneath to mount a light or laser system.
    • Extremely affordable. Imagine what a $60.00 investment could have done for George Zimmerman if everything panned out exactly as he said it did.
    • Complete package is sent to you, nothing to buy.

Cons:
    • I didnt like how the screw attaching it to the picatinny rail was a bit longer than necessary. I am sure this is to accommodate larger size frames.
    • I also found that the rail system underneath it is not a "spec" rail system as the grooves themselves are not deep enough to accommodate adding another system like a light or laser. A few minutes work with a flat file or a dremel will solve this issue quickly.
    • I also did not like how the system could be easily activated as well. Seems I spent more time erasing files of anywhere from three seconds to a full hour in length from it getting accidentally activated.

Video quality was fine, as was sound quality. I transitioned from a dark room to a totally well lit room and it seemed to work just fine as well with this. Here is the video I made demo'ing it. (please dont mind my son who just got out of the shower at the very end of the video!)

Hope you all enjoy it and find it useful to one extent or another!

Stay Frosty!
    Stormfeather
    Last edited by Stormfeather; 04-21-2012 at 12:20 AM.

I'll most likely shit myself

Thats pretty cool. Great price. And like you said, could save your bacon in certain situations. Nice find.