Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 3 Pieces of gear you've acquired, and why?

Can I count my Jeep and everything I routinely carry in it as one item
    Sure hope I can as it is a mobile shelter that has food and self-defense as well as cash, basic tools, and recovery gear.
    Am just getting back into hiking/camping and can see where some of that gear will serve more than one use.
    So far, think my SAWYER All-In-One Filter to make clean drinking water has to be on the list.

Administrator

Non gun best 3 are:

My Rush 24
    Katadyn portable filter
    Gerber Prodigy

A good bag and knife are a must have

Because of my living arrangements I can't really store water so having a filter that can purify hundreds of gallons of H2O saves on space.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Ok...I've avoided this thread for three years....mostly because I could never really describe something as "the best".

As a card carrying, and certified, gear-queer, I am also adding new toys the the bin so today's "best" is quickly yesterdays "that was sorta cool but...."

So here goes....

1) Personal protection: Blue Force Gear LMAC plate carrier

Simple, light, flexible, just enough room to mount needed items without so much that you turn into GI JOE.

2) Force multiplier: Aimpoint T1 red dot

Insane battery life, crazy rugged, very accurate and lightweight makes this a personal favorite. Plop it on a LaRue mount and it's not moving.

Toss a 3x magnifier in a flip-to-side mount for bonus points.

3) All around handy tool: a spade shovel

There's so many things you can use this lowly tool for it's amazing. From digging a latrine to smashing a zombie to cooking an egg this guy can do it. This isn't my actual spade but I use mine constantly for all sorts of outside chores.

Not sexy but I think between this, a good pair of loppers, a decent handsaw and a drill press I can do about anything.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Crotch Rocket

Thought I might trot this one out again since I saw it while looking for something else. Any updates?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

As somebody already stated I can't qualify a best piece of gear because everytime I pick something up it would bump yesterday's purchase lower on the totem pole...

If I could qualify knowledge (or ready access to knowledge) as gear I would have to take up my top 3 spots with it. I scavenge the interwebs, bookstores and libraries daily for articles and homesteading/pioneer living content. If I don't purchase it (even if I do and it's too large to realistically carry in a bob) I will retype it into smaller print and bind my own books. I have a whole tote box filled this way with hundreds of recipes, survival tips, how to's, diy's, homesteading and farming info, etc. it's essentially a complete library condensed down into a 40-50 lbs treasure chest of knowledge. It's by far the best thing I have acquired over the years that can be brought with me all but the most dire of circumstances

NVG....totally a work deduction!

Quote Originally Posted by cwconnertx View Post
    I'm going to second the maxpedition versipack S, it is my every day carry.

My second choice is also easy, Glock 19.

Third choice is somewhat more difficult, but I think I will go with Leatherman surge.
    So to review almost two years later, as much as I loved the versipack, I wanted to carry a little more and ended up switching to the kodiak gearslinger, also s type, and love it just as much, but its a little easier to carry a little more weight.

I have a lot of things that I've used a lot more lately, so it is harder to say which items are my favorites, but the glock 19 and surge are still go to items.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Cant come up with much, but recently:

Tapco mags for my AK, both 30 & 20 rnds, have worked FLAWLESSLY!

I just bot a chest rig for AK mags from Blackhawk

http://www.botach.com/products/black...for-ak-47.html
    Up until now, I had no way to carry mags... This one fits eight AK mags with full cover pouches, which I like..
    plus two mag pouches on either side for pistol mags..

Thats about all for now... Ive got my eyes on a few other things, I want to adapt a set of Wouxon radios to
    patch into electronic shooter's muffs, so you can hear "normal" and radio traffic, but ambient sound shut down
    on report... also fix wiring to lapel mic so the mic still works, but no sound out the speaker.... (Im an electronics hobbyist)

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Cant come up with much, but recently:

Tapco mags for my AK, both 30 & 20 rnds, have worked FLAWLESSLY!

I just bot a chest rig for AK mags from Blackhawk

http://www.botach.com/products/black...for-ak-47.html
    Up until now, I had no way to carry mags... This one fits eight AK mags with full cover pouches, which I like..
    plus two mag pouches on either side for pistol mags..

Thats about all for now... Ive got my eyes on a few other things, I want to adapt a set of Wouxon radios to
    patch into electronic shooter's muffs, so you can hear "normal" and radio traffic, but ambient sound shut down
    on report... also fix wiring to lapel mic so the mic still works, but no sound out the speaker.... (Im an electronics hobbyist)

EB
    I've got a set of Howard Leight impact pro muffs that came with a jack and cables. That sounds like a cool idea.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Klein 10-in-1 screwdriver. http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/mu...ivernut-driver

Leatherman Micra http://www.leatherman.com/20.html#pr...n-Size&start=2

Littmann electronic stethoscope http://www.littmann.com/wps/portal/3...294958545&rt=d

Cause I use these daily, or at least many times a week.

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by cwconnertx View Post
    So to review almost two years later, as much as I loved the versipack, I wanted to carry a little more and ended up switching to the kodiak gearslinger, also s type, and love it just as much, but its a little easier to carry a little more weight.

I have a lot of things that I've used a lot more lately, so it is harder to say which items are my favorites, but the glock 19 and surge are still go to items.
    I've set mine to the side as well. Not for something bigger, but because I was able to transfer most of its components, their equivalents, or substitutes to my pockets, and I dont ever forget those at home. Not to mention the fact it was getting cumbersome carrying it and my school bag everywhere I was going. As much as I love the versipack I'd really like something with better integration capabilities.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!