Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 3 Pieces of gear you've acquired, and why?

Crotch Rocket

Best 3 Pieces of gear you've acquired, and why?

Mine are:

My Maxpedition S-type Versipack for every reason I listed in the linked thread, and now the fact that it'll sit lower than a standard pack while I'm riding.

My Morris File Belter. I can't say enough good about Mike's knives. It holds, keeps, and takes an edge well. The high carbon steel throws a ton of sparks for fire building. Its pocket sized if I have to dress "up" and can't have it visible on my belt, which is still a low profile option anyway with its horizontal presentation.

The Surefire E2D. I've handed it to guards at security checkpoints with nary an eyebrow raised. Its bright, light-weight, and capable of knocking an assailant for a loop if you need. Best of all, its billed as a "last ditch impact weapon" by Surefire themselves, so there's no chance of them testifying against you if you use it as such.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Premium Member

My game cart, PTR-91, and Remington custom 11-87 shotgun.

Followed closely by my camping gear set, primarily the Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1 tent and Slumberjack sleep system, and Kifaru packs.

I'll most likely shit myself

Vasque sundowner hiking boots.
    Marmont -5 sleeping bag w/gore tex shell
    Pur hiker water purifier

danner boots
    SOG tomahawk
    Katadyne water filter

all 3 items give me a warm fuzzy feeling

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

Tent, camelback, bob.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

I'm going to second the maxpedition versipack S, it is my every day carry.

My second choice is also easy, Glock 19.

Third choice is somewhat more difficult, but I think I will go with Leatherman surge.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I am not going to list any item I paid for (its easy to say how important something is if you bought it) I am going to list three things that I received for free.....I was given---

Blastmatch (gift from kids, awesome)
    Wal-mart hand saw (came with a purchase at a flea market)
    Gerber Suspension Multi-tool (gift from misses-done deal)
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Premium Member

Ruger All-Weather Mini-14
    Katadyn Pocket
    Kelty Redwing 3100 (All Black)

Bran <><

Crotch Rocket

Figured it might be fun to revisit this one.

My major change is in eyewear. I must live hard or something, because I trashed out my prescription eyeglasses. Bad.

Broken frame and lenses-that-look-like-they-took-a-round-of-birdshot bad.

Anyway, I hit on an option that saved on up front cost since I was still planning on getting to TN then (it will add up eventually, but eye pro is worth it imo), and should weather my lifestyle a lot better: Oakley's SI M Frame 2.0 Strike Array and a set of complimentary contacts with my eye exam.

The versatility of the M Frame has me impressed. The array came with a clear lens, a gray lens, the frame, a hard case, soft carry bag, head strap, and an antifog solution. The equivalent in RX eye wear would have cost me somewhere between $200 and $500+. I found these on ebay for $90, and they retail for $160-$190. Also, I wouldn't have been able to get ANSI rated lenses in anything other than clear - unlike the gray lens in the array.

Since I only use one eye, the ballistic and ANSI ratings were much of what drove my choice. As stated, I can get rough on glasses, and these should be equal to the task. The wrap around protection is another nice feature here.

Another advantage is I can get other lenses as time goes on. Amber for shooting, and most notably, prescription lenses. I can even get the prescription in a different lens style than the non-prescription if I want. The Hybrid lens looks good for this.

Finally, they're also designed for helmet and NV compatibility. I don't run around with a kevlar strapped on, but it'll be nice with my motorcyle helmet. I don't have NV yet either, but its one less integration issue I'll have when I do get some.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Ive got way more than 3 items that make me warm and fuzzy inside, Ive gone through great length in research and trying different things to get JUST THE RIGHT thing, whatever that "thing" is... so Ill pick 3 at random:

Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter... cause sleeping on the ground sucks, and bugs suck equally

Hill People Gear Kit Bag - Cause I just want my gun when I go out

Food grade buckets from Lowes - Storing canned goods right now, also first aid gear, comfort items, etc. etc. but Ill be doing some mylar soon. I can stack, store and move them around in the basement as I see fit... and if I do have to get the hell out of dodge, I can just put them on the BOT and wave bye bye.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"