Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Physical Fitness

I have still yet to grow a brain
    I have been working on losing weight I was about 210 when I said to myself 'NO Bad bad!!!'. So it has been a struggle (if you havent read my posts yet I luv food) But I have knocked myself to 196 my goal is 150. I need to lighten the weight on my bones and start becoming more nimble again. In that sense I am a sloth. But it will occur this year.

One important aspect of my decision is supported by a food. Amazing I can find one to do it : ) Chia Seeds. It was brought to my attn from a friend I was thinking 'yea right sure it will' and worked its magic.

It works for me on a couple of situations Hunger and Reflux.

For Hunger I place 3 tbs of see into a glass about an hour b4 I eat. With it I put in about 2 cups of water and and 1/2 a lemon. What occurs is this the seeds absorb 9 times there size from the liquid present. What this means is you will have a mass of 2 cups in your stomach when you eat/drink it. That is 2 cups of water and only 3 tablespoons of seed.

Reflux usage I place about 1/3 cup of water in with 3tbs of Chia and 1/2 a lemon. A drink this as fast as poss at that moment. What happens is the Chia seed is immersed in the stomach acids. It will absorb enuf to where it wont bother me.

Either way look it up with a search on the web. You will find more articulate explanations than what I present to you here. It can be placed in recipes for food or drink, I just use it as a drink. A pound of the seed is about 7 dollars and it lasted me for about 2-3 weeks of every day usage.

Crotch Rocket

Yep. TMTS. And it fits perfectly for me too. I'm gonna get on my elliptical machine tonight so I can get some cardio in and see how that feels. It should be low enough impact to allow me a good run, then get back into outdoor jogging next week. Same for the gym, I'll go back to (lighter) weights next week as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be ok doing an upper body workout for tomorrow.

I was amazed at just how much was affected by this.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMax View Post
    so far this deployment I have lost 20 pounds. I chalk it up to:

No beer
    No soda
    insane amounts of water
    and my meals are now 80%+ veggies
    I have seen Soldiers get fat there eating nothing but pogey bait or I call it fobbit food.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by alika2die4 View Post
    I have seen Soldiers get fat there eating nothing but pogey bait or I call it fobbit food.
    Or eating the always awesome KBR enchilada's.....
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    A few weeks later I am down to 193. The seeds are doing decent by making me 'think' I am full. As an added to do I stop about every 2-3 hours and go and find a physical chore to do for about 30-40 minutes. And it turns out that losing the weight is not a task it is really mindless. Once I know you all better I can explain that part in more detail.

I need to try me some of those seeds. While they wont help me improve my agility and cardio ability, they will at least help me lose the tire....
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    I need to try me some of those seeds. While they wont help me improve my agility and cardio ability, they will at least help me lose the tire....
    The tire is what we call 'first line food storage'
    Not subject to spoilage, theft, or being off premises when needed.

See, I can rationalize anything

LMAO

Crotch Rocket

We haven't really visited this topic for a while so I figured I might as well bring it up again!

I've had better intentions than results for some time now, but got a new gym membership at a much improved facility last fall. I fell away, making it only sporadically, again this winter for a variety of valid reasons and bad excuses, but getting outside and moving again is showing a drop in weight just from the increased activity, even though my diet has suffered with the change to these 12 hour overnight shifts I now have to work. I defaulted back to liberal caffeine consumption and microwave meals.

The weight loss has given me a little push though.

I realized (again) that a gym is not the do all, be all, end all of fitness. So I am now removing that as an excuse. All I need for equipment is a swiss ball and a sauna suit to keep my uniform clean at work, and I'll be re-starting a body weight calisthenics circuit there. One I think will be much improved over my previous program.

Two minutes each of:
    Jumping rope
    Squats
    Swiss ball crunches
    Swiss ball back extensions
    Pushups
    Inverted rows from under my desk

No set rest periods in between so I'll have a balanced, total body workout done in less than 15 minutes, 3x per night for now, eventually kicking the intensity up to once per hour and adding weight as required.

I've only got one more month of sleep deprivation to endure, so I'm going to make a serious effort to work past that and make it to the gym Monday and Wednesday mornings. If I can keep from weaving like a drunk on my way home after work I'll forgo a nap on Tuesday nights to exercise then as well.

I've been following Pat McNamara's articles outlining his Combat Strength Training program in Recoil, and I'm going to follow that methodology for my primary routine. I'll post more details once I get what I have together and summarized.

Meal planning is a go at this point now as well, though it will take some major discipline and preparation to accomplish. I'm constantly switching back and forth from a night schedule to a day schedule, so I decided I'd just set meal times every 2.5 - 3 hours over a 24 hour period. It works out great for eating 6-7x a day no matter when I'm awake, and I can put workouts in between them to achieve the best possible results.

It is past time I get this done.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I have been working out hard since December. Lost 28lbs, and dropped about 10% body fat. Stopped drinking cokes (was drinking a lot about 6 to 10 a day). Dropped white bread out of my diet, and just started tracking my intake using myfitnesspal.com. Strength is way up, and endurance is great. I am 40 and don't think I have ever been as strong as I am now. I go to the gym 6 days a week, for 1 to 2.5 hours depending on what day it is. I am doing the Arnold Schwarzenegger workout program. It is very intense. Today is shoulders and arms, and will take me about 2.5 hours to complete, with only 45 second rests in between each set.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson