Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EMT Training

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

2 tests and 2 quizzes later, I am left with 3 100's and a 91... So apparently studying does pay off! looking for all A's and so far its working!

Lots of work though, not as hard as i was expecting... just straight up hours of homework, studying, and research...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Hard work and preparations pays off?

No way.

ETA: Keep up the good work Twitchy.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

CC Gray Panther
    Way to go Twitchy!! Keep up the hard work and it'll pay off in the end.

On a side note :
    Sure glad you're learning all this. Because between Grumpy & Sniper over at the saloon I'm pretty sure we're going to need some of you talents.

Wow, Great job, Twitchy!!! Not that i'm surprised, you are a bright guy. Keep up the good work!

lol, thanks guys! and eagle, you are NOT kidding!!!
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

I'll most likely shit myself

Excellent work Twitchy. Keep it up Bub.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Outstanding!!
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Congrats on the good scores!

I've been a paramedic now for ten years, love this job! I know others have said to start medic school as soon as possible. You know what works best for you (learning style, willingness to go back to school etc.), and another poster was right about it being easier to find a job with a medic licence instead of EMT, but I think I'd recommend trying to get at least a little field experience before starting medic school. Last time I saw numbers, EMS had about a 70% burn out rate in the first five years.

Trust me, medic school makes EMT look like a liesurely stroll through the park. I'm not saying this to be discouraging at all, like I said, I love this job. But with medic school, you've got 2-3 semesters of pure, unadulturated scholastic HELL, plus litterally hundreds, maybe thousands of hours of clinical time. The last thing you want is to go through all that effort, and then decide you don't like this job. I've seen people who have taken both options. So far, most of the best medics I've seen had a couple years experience before going on to medic. Also, if there is any family/spouse/significant others involved, make sure they understand the extreme stress of school. I've personally seen more than one divorce over medic school. That being said, my wife and I did fine, because she knew what to expect beforehand.

Best of luck whatever path you choose, and if there's any way I can be helpful, send me a message.

Quote Originally Posted by m4gery View Post
    Congrats on the good scores!

I've been a paramedic now for ten years, love this job! I know others have said to start medic school as soon as possible. You know what works best for you (learning style, willingness to go back to school etc.), and another poster was right about it being easier to find a job with a medic licence instead of EMT, but I think I'd recommend trying to get at least a little field experience before starting medic school. Last time I saw numbers, EMS had about a 70% burn out rate in the first five years.

Trust me, medic school makes EMT look like a liesurely stroll through the park. I'm not saying this to be discouraging at all, like I said, I love this job. But with medic school, you've got 2-3 semesters of pure, unadulturated scholastic HELL, plus litterally hundreds, maybe thousands of hours of clinical time. The last thing you want is to go through all that effort, and then decide you don't like this job. I've seen people who have taken both options. So far, most of the best medics I've seen had a couple years experience before going on to medic. Also, if there is any family/spouse/significant others involved, make sure they understand the extreme stress of school. I've personally seen more than one divorce over medic school. That being said, my wife and I did fine, because she knew what to expect beforehand.

Best of luck whatever path you choose, and if there's any way I can be helpful, send me a message.
    Thanks for the helpful words! I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll stick to being an EMT / FF for a few years before going to medic school...That as more than one benefit to me...

Update, first quarter final grade of a 94.2, not bad if I must say... Onto the fun nights of homework for anatomy and physiology now! hehehe!

In other news, I have scheduled my first ride along with the County Fire department for next month on a rescue truck!