Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The American Preparedness Radio Net. . .Prepper Radio!

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues

The American Preparedness Radio Net. . .Prepper Radio!

In my recent search for knowledge regarding commo, ham radio, and a way to be able to communicate with Ants not in my AO in case the SHTF, I came across this website. Being as im relatively knew at all the commo stuff, Im hoping someone a little more experienced here can maybe check this out and let me know if this is a good site or not. The American Preparedness Radio Net Seems legit across the board as I came across it from Essential Ops ( Essential Operations ) and those guys seem to have good info for the most part.
    Anyways, it seems that they have set up a network for preppers, have a "dedicated range of freq's, and are trying to get everyone on the same page as far as commo for preppers as a whole. Check it out and let me know what ya think folks!

Thanks!
    Stay Frosty
    SF
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

I'll most likely shit myself

Stomry I'll start off with this disclaimer. I have not had a chance to look at much of the information there yet. So take this with a grain of salt for now.

That said, from what I have read so far the info seems to be spot on. They are working some different digital modes, both on VHF and HF. I have used the Winlink system for 2-3 years. Our emcomm group here set up a pretty good local network (say 30-50 miles as a guess). We also had 2-3 guys that set up HF Winmor links that would allow them to relay info outside our area ( across the country and beyond ). It is a solid system and has been used by folks on Sailboats around the world for years.

Sounds like they are also using VHF SSB (single Side band) for voice comms. I've never used this but I will research that further. I believe that may be a partial solution to thecomms distance between some of us. Worthy of more research for certain. SSB does take more specialized gear than normal VHF/UHF provides. I have a ICOM 706 that I got mainly to use for HF mobile work, but it also has a VHF portion, both of 6M and 2M. I will check to see if it does SSB on those freqs. More on SSB later.

I will get back into the other site comms and learn what I can later this weekend.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Thanks man, basically im looking for me next investment prep wise, and I think that commo is going to be it. But the damn thing about it is, I dont know were to start (yea yea, I know, get a ham license) and what gear to get. So im kind of grasping at straws here when it comes to commo. Any help is of course appreciated.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

For now getting your licence is important. For one thing it allows you to use the equipment legally and just like firearm training, use breeds familiarity and skills. There are many intricacies with the antennas in particular, plus modes of operation, bands, and other things with equipment. I've been at it for 14 years and still don't know much about it.

I will go thru the other site in more detail as time permits and try to bring over what I can.

After doing a little more reading I realized I have used some info from the site Stormy linked to above, The American Preparedness Radio Net, in the past. They are one of the main go to's in ham radio for digital comms. I haven't been there in a while and from the looks are in the process of trying to create a nationwide radio network. It also looks like they are having the same trouble we did in our group. We ran a weekly net for our local group and had a lot of trouble getting folks to take turns being net control. Apparently TAPRN is having the same issues on a nationwide basis.

Here is some information I copied from the TARPN site. First is their comms plan for various frequencies.

Standardized Amateur Radio Prepper Communications Plan
    About
    In the event of a nationwide catastrophic disaster, the nationwide network of Amateur Radio
    licensed preppers will need a set of standardized meeting frequencies to share information
    and coordinate activities between various prepper groups. This Standardized Amateur Radio
    Communications Plan establishes a set of frequencies on the 80 meter, 40 meter, 20 meter,
    and 2 meter Amateur Radio bands for use during these types of catastrophic disasters.
    Routine nets will not be held on all of these frequencies, but preppers are encouraged to use
    them when coordinating with other preppers on a routine basis. Routine nets may be
    conducted by The American Preparedness Radio Net (TAPRN) on these or other frequencies
    as they see fit. However, TAPRN will promote the use of these standardized frequencies by all
    Amateur Radio licensed preppers during times of catastrophic disaster. The promotion of this
    Standardized Amateur Radio Communications Plan is encouraged by all means within the
    prepper community, including via Amateur Radio, Twitter, Facebook, and various blogs.
    Standardized Frequencies and Modes
    80 Meters – 3.818 MHz LSB (TAPRN Net: Sundays at 9 PM ET)
    40 Meters – 7.242 MHz LSB
    40 Meters Digital – 7.073 MHz USB PSK-31 (TAPRN Net: Sundays at 7:30 PM ET)
    20 Meters – 14.242 MHz USB
    2 Meters – 146.420 MHz FM
    Nets and Network Etiquette
    In times of nationwide catastrophic disaster, the ability of any one prepper to initiate and
    sustain themselves as a net control may be limited by the availability of power and other
    resource shortages. However, all licensed preppers are encouraged to maintain a listening
    watch on these frequencies as often as possible during a catastrophic disaster. Preppers may
    routinely announce themselves in the following manner:
    • This is [Your Callsign Phonetically] in [Your State], maintaining a listening watch on
    [Standard Frequency] for any preppers on frequency seeking information or looking to
    provide information. Please call [Your Callsign Phonetically].
    Preppers exchanging information that may require follow up should agree upon a designated
    time to return to the frequency and provide further information. If other stations are utilizing
    the frequency at the designated time you return, maintain watch and proceed with your
    communications when those stations are finished. If your communications are urgent and the
    stations on frequency are not passing information of a critical nature, interrupt with the word
    “Break” and request use of the frequency.
    For More Information
    The American Preparedness Radio Network: The American Preparedness Radio Net or @TAPRN on Twitter
    Catastrophe Network: ยป Catastrophe Network or @CatastropheNet on Twitter
    10/29/2011

Here is a little information about the HF comms and how they work.

LONG RANGE Comms:

In general, higher HF frequencies travel farther than lower depending upon time of day. Successful communicators select frequencies which are correct for where you want to communicate to, taking into account solar/terrestrial conditions, season and time. For example, if right now at 17:30 Eastern time my station in Virginia is to communicate with a station in Wyoming, the 18 MHz band would be a great bet. Maybe 21 or 14 MHz too. However, I would NOT be heard in South Carolina on those bands, because we are too close, and they are in ‘the skip zone’; meaning that my signal ‘skip’s over them.

http://theoriginalpreppernetworks.co...ipzone-III.png

Bottom line, this is a good site and well worth spending some time reading, if you are interested in learning some information about comms, digital in particular. As more time permits I will try and get more info and links posted up.

This one is for our Ants in Central and Eastern Michigan. I just ran across a link for CMEN The Central Michigan Emergency Network. These are all ham freq's. Even if you don't have your ham license or equipment. A scanner will pick up any and all these. With the proper programming so could one of the Sabre radio that have been discussed in other comms thread's.

Repeaters - cmen.us

I don't recall if we've got folks on here in Alabama or not. I do know we have some that live close to the borders, so maybe someone will be able to find some use from this site.

Amateur and GMRS radio repeaters in Alabama

This one should allow anyone to look at their particular state.

Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

much useful info at the site BP, thanks! I'm looking to get into Amateur radio operating, so im reading up on everything!
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.