Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tricks you can do in the garden

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    T, I did not do the pipe trick this year. It does work, but I entended to install a drip system. Circumstances hasn't let that happen yet.
    I have been working for a lady on a raised bed and have installed a drip system in it. I am very impressed with how it functions. Downside, trying to learn how much water to put to certain plants.
    Never done much with raised beds before either. I am amazed at how quickly they dry out around here. It is taking quite a lot more water to keep stuff growing. Not sure I'll transition to those fully ever.
    I only have one raised bed, 4'x8' for strawberries. We had so much rain this spring I never had to water them. The only thing I can think about the ones you speak of drying out quickly, do you think it is due to moisture escaping from the sides? And if you lined the sides with plastic, do you think this would help?

I'll most likely shit myself

That would help I'm sure. Really the big thing is getting seeds to germination ate.

The drought here in Calif. has forced us to do some things differently this season. We are under water use restrictions so that has had an effect on both what we planted and how we irrigate. I have taken some 5 gallon buckets and put about 2 inches of steer manure at the bottom and then fill with water. I allow it to "brew" overnight and then pour the water onto the tomatoes and peppers. So far it seems to be working, I am not overwatering and the crops are getting fed.

Do you have a robot?
    The drought sure has changed stuff however I will let the lawns go before I will ever change anything in the garden........its nice being on a well. I put in over 350 square feet of raised beds this year all with great soil. This goes with the two hundred square feet we had before. The garden is all on drip irrigation. Corn, beets, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, Kale, romaine, small potatoes, artichokes,lemon cucumber and some sort of star squash. My wife says she planted some melons but I have yet to find them I think she just planted more squash. Does anyone want some squash?????????

One thing having a garden really shows you it is important to practice and see what works. I would hate to have SHTF, with no experience and have to depend upon a canned garden I knew nothing about. People need to understand it is not just throwing some seed out and you have a garden in three weeks. It all takes a lot of work.

The one thing I am lacking is a good compost system, so that is what I am going to work on. I used to have a tractor I used to turn the pile but it died years ago. When I say a pile I mean 10 to 15 yards of material, it was wonderful. The wife has small ones but she does not turn or water them often enough.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Crotch Rocket

Gardening without experience would be horrible. Even a few years in now I struggle with some things. Not drought here, but too much water due to rain., I've slept through two tornado warnings in the past month. I can't remember the last time we had even one.

Drip irrigation is coming next year. I can't wait. Between this and other projects Ive been way more busy than I want to be. Its time.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

Gardening is extremely time consuming and very dependent on the weather. This year, spring started normally temps and rainfall, late May/June was very dry. Enough so I had to water a few times to keep plants alive, but little to no growth. July, it got hot, 90's plus most every day and an excess amount of rain. So much the tomatos were splitting open sometimes before they ripen. On top of that the weeds grew so fast I lost control of them. I am now trying to locate my onions to harvest what remains (we had already harvested about 1/4+ of them. And for the life of me I can't figure out my peppers. The Serranos have done great and are still putting out. But the jalapenos, cayenne, and bells had little to nothing on them. Most plants look decent, but they just aren't blooming.

Anyone who thinks they will just pick up growing their food WSHTF are gonna starve. There is no doubt in my mind. I have been gardening since I was a kid and growing a lot for the last 15-20 years at my own place and I still feel like a newbie at times. I couldn't imagine just starting out.

Most people have no idea just how time intensive it can be, even for a small garden. You understand the saying that for a farmer "...there are no days off."

Backpacker, I know what you are saying. Some years certain things do exceptionally well and in other years it is not very good. This year my zuchinni is doing well and is very tasty. My yellow crook-neck that is usually very good is not doing well. For the first time ever I planted some butternut squash and it seems to be doing well. I noticed earlier this week that the plants have set several small squash. I just hope I can see them get to maturity which should be in Oct. & Nov.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Without supplemental water my garden would never make it. I want to do a rain water collection with irrigation under the soil.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I have still yet to grow a brain
    This year was a testing period. I built a PVC Greenhouse, used 5 gal buckets and set the buckets up to wick water from a water trough. Got a lot of varying results but knowledge is key. With the buckets and water troughs I didn't have to weed, watering entailed filling the troughs up a few times a week and the corn trough needed water 2 times a day. I had some mold issues don't know if that is due to the buckets, coffee grounds or the soil. And again the weather threw a curve ball so I don't know if that had any bearing on the issues. Overall I have learned and hopefully will be able to apply corrections next year.

For the Love of Cats

Every day of every year is a learning experience. And just when you think you got it figured out... you'll learn that you don't. you really really don't.

sigh!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.