Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low to no cost preps one should start?

Low to no cost preps one should start?

Hi,

Any ideas for preps everyone should have thats low to no cost?

For the Love of Cats

Mental preparedness: If you cannot afford the physical things you need, then learn everything you can. There is a wealth of information available through this site. learn it all, practice it until it is second nature.

Physical Fitness: You don't have to be a hulk, or Mr Olympia, but be able to carry yourself, and your gear. be able to help those that cannot.

Freebies: wherever yyou are, find out the days that the garbage is picked up. go cruise around the night before, or the morning before pickup. You'd be surprised at how much stuff you can get, and how much money you can earn by doing this.

Get a decent Job: It's no fun living hand to mouth, day after day, week after week. If at all possible, either get something better, or get something more (a part time). It's sad to say, but money makes the world go round, and the more you have, the easier it goes.

IMO

and welcome aboard!

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Knowledge is the cheapest thing to obtain and THE most valuable to have. You can make the amount for money that you have on hand go allot farther if you have the knowledge to provide the three basics.

Food: Can be harvested from a garden, gathered from wild eatables, trapped/snared/hooked/hunted, raised, bought on sale with coupons, and all can be canned/put-up/jared.

Water: Can be harvested from rain, collected from lakes/streams/condensates then filtered/pasteurized/treated.

Shelter: Can be bush-crafted/built/bought/leased.

Like I said knowledge is the cheapest thing to obtain and the more you have the less you need. Is it easy? HELL NO!!! Is it worth it? HELL YEAH!!!
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Where's the epi?

Look for sales especially at the dollar stores. Make a list of things you would like to get for your preps and each month dedicate whatever budget you have to an item. Like a 25# of rice one month, the next month do something for medical so you could pick up a couple bottles of rubbing alcohol and peroxide...very inexpensive. Depends on your budget as to how much you buy each week or month. Start out with what you need/want on paper and how much you have to spend. Make priorities and stick to the list.As Evolver said learn how to can foods to put up, you have no idea how much money you will save and how addictive it will become. Buy meats in bulk and pressure cook them in jars, put up veggies, soups, sauces, broths, jams and don't forget the dehydrator!
    I apologize for nothing...

Thinks it might be German

If you drink soda from 2 liter bottles or know someone that does... wash the empty's, and load them up with tap water. Store them in a cool place away from sunlight. If you don't have access to a municpal (treated) water supply, you can add a few drops of straight bleach to keep any bacteria from growing.
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Canned goods! I couldn't afford freeze dried foods so I stocked up on canned food when on sale. From what I hear, they can last just as long.

Thansk for the input guys, keep it coming. Not just for me but others. I know we all have the tendancy to think of the big ticket items and maybe leave the low hanging fruit we don't see that could really help us down the line.

I'll most likely shit myself

This is not a low cost item as in dirt cheap. But look for someway to to treat or purify water. You can store a lot if you have room, but at some point you will need to replenish the supply. I went with multiple ways as time has passed.
    1st I used to backpack a lot and got a good purifier (PUR) that I could carry, that will be great in a BO situation.
    2nd we ended up getting a Berky purifier for the house for everyday and BI use. It'll do 3-4 gallon a day as a gravity feed.
    3rd, I keep purification tablets in our GHB's for light weight and short term mobile use.

As time has went on I have picked up a second backpacking type (SteriPen) as a spare or for the wife should we have to split up for some reason. I will probably pick up a couple more of some type as time goes on. I also plan on setting up a pair of 5 gallon buckets with Berky type filters to use if we have more folks here. Plus multiple filters for spares.

On top of that keep a good supply of coffee filters, bandana's, or t-shirt material to use as a pre filter to keep your main filter as clean as possible.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

work on your body or mind

You can read books from the library, and make sure you are physically ready for low to no cost.

Beyond that, some simple things are not too expensive: water filter, lighter, knife. You'll know what to focus on after readying up some more... see above line about library.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

"Live like you will die tomorrow......learn like you will live forever"

TP....Buy TP