Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire Prevention

For the Love of Cats

I had a house fire a few months ago, and had the fire extinguishers and the tools to put it out. The extinguishers have since been replaced, and added to, I have three water pumps and all the associated tools (I would like more hoses), and a large pond to pump from.

I would like to cut some trees, and clean up some brush yet, to get the burn zone a little farther away from the house, but over all, I am in pretty good shape.

Here's a good link for some information, including a quiz at the bottom to how firesafe your home is. There is also a decent pdf at the bottom worth downloading...

Alberta SRD - FireSmart
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post
    Save a copy of all our important Documents on CD/USB drive and place it with a parent/bank lock box/BoB.
    Forgot about that one. Good point Vodin.

We just got a safe deposit box at the local bank and have begun filling it with papers. Need to get the thumbdrive of all the important info over there too.

Good call.....definitely part of a good fire prevention/response plan.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

For the Love of Cats

Here's a brief blurb about fire suppression from 1909. Personally, I think I am going to make a couple of these up. Esp for the garage.

Hand Fire Extinguisher.—Another
    device consists of a mixture of suitable
    substances combined in a glass
    vessel, which must be thrown upon the
    fire with sufficient force to break the
    glass. To make hand grenades or fire
    extinguishers of this sort take pint or
    quart fruit jars or any large bottles
    ,and charge them with a mixture of
    equal parts of sugar of lead, alum,
    and common salt, dissolved in water.
    Keep these tightly corked in various
    parts of the house. To extinguish a
    fire throw one or more of these bottles
    into or just above the burning
    parts, so that the liquid will fall upon
    the wood or flames.
    Or charge these bottles with a mixture
    made of 2 pounds of common
    salt, 1 pound of muriate of ammonia,
    and 3 quarts of water. Dissolve, bottle,
    cork, and keep at hand in various
    parts of the house for emergency.
    Throw the bottles into the fire with
    force enough to break them.
    Or dissolve pearlash, soda, wood
    ashes, or common salt in the water
    which is being dashed upon the flames
    from pails or pitchers, or in which
    are soaked cloths to beat out the
    flames.
    Fire Extinguisher Hand Grenades. —Fill round bottles of thin blue glass
    with a mixture of equal parts of common
    borax and sal ammoniac or calcium
    chloride. Add, just enough
    water to dissolve these substances,
    thus making strong saturated solutions.

Sorry for the formatting

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    Do any of you keep a rider on your homeowners policy covering your weapons? It's kind of a double edged blade...if you don't have it and there is a loss, it can be huge due to the cost of them (especially the antique collectible ones) on the flip side then an outsider knows about your stash.
    Yep. My regular homeowners policy only covered so much....which would have been about 1.5 of my rifles. So I had to go the rider route to protect us financially.

Don't really care about some drone in Bolingbrook Illinois knowing about my guns. My local agent is a different matter but the risk of financial devastation outweighs the remote chance the world melts down and my local insurance agent begins raiding policy holder's homes looking for loot.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by cwconnertx View Post
    I have a separate policy, have had several, but currently have the NRA endorsed policy where you don't have to provide serial numbers or anything except for individual weapons over $2500. So currently only my 50 bmg rifle is listed.
    cwconner:

shoot me pm....I've been wondering how that policy works.....
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Sniper, 50' coupled hose sections are rather affordable if you get them second hand... I can post an ebay link to a reputable seller if you wish!
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

For the Love of Cats

by all means twitchy. I'm always looking for more hose. I'm sure others would appreciate it too.

tx

moonnguyeno | eBay

Here ya go!
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

just a general rule of thumb on the hose, if its a 2 and a half inch line, at least 2-3 guys on the line... for residential fires, generally, most departments will use several 1.5 inch lines on two man crews... that is at least how they do ti down here... Obviously, in our case, unless you have the structural safety gear to fight a fire actively, your basically going to be spraying water into the structure from windows... It would also be advisable to practice with the equipment you have to be proficient in it... Make sure you aren't over pressurizing your pump, etc.

GunnerMax
    I am going to get fire extinguishers once I get home. I also have a fire escape ladder for the top floor. Also I plan on having a basket of some sorts with a line on it to lower my daughter down from the top floor.

My documents are going to be in a pelican case. everything is insured.