Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Prevention

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Fire Prevention

Most of us store an overwhelming amount of preps in our homes. Should our homes bes lost to fire we'd face a huge loss of our supplies.

So....how "fire proofed" is your home?

Smoke detectors?
    Fire extinguishers?
    Sprinklers?
    Fire proof safes for important documents?
    Alarm system with monitoring to report issues more quickly?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Save a copy of all our important Documents on CD/USB drive and place it with a parent/bank lock box/BoB.
    Insure your residence appropriately.
    I have Fire Extinguishers around my residence.
    Smoke alarms are in each area. They are all main line Voltage activated with battery back up.
    Safe:I have documents backed up.
    Don't have a company 'monitor' your house if you allow it they know what and where you got (if you include video surveillance)

Last night we had golf ball hail, water rose to where it was 20' from my fence (normally about 100 yards from my fence) and tornadoes close by. Wife and I went to bed fully clothed with the documents and key items at a fast exiting point to grab on the way out. And always have the hounds from hell sleeping in our bedroom at the foot of the bed. In order it goes weapons, documents, dogs and shoes. Then exit as a team never solo.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

We have many large fire extinguishers.....all buildings at BOL have metal roofs....made of masonry....

A pond with a large pump and enough hose to reach the main buildings....

And we have a '68 fire truck....500gal pumper...

Where's the epi?

Do any of you keep a rider on your homeowners policy covering your weapons? It's kind of a double edged blade...if you don't have it and there is a loss, it can be huge due to the cost of them (especially the antique collectible ones) on the flip side then an outsider knows about your stash.
    I apologize for nothing...

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I just plan on pee'in on it...........

Seriously though, I'll have a serious response after I get some sleep......
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    Do any of you keep a rider on your homeowners policy covering your weapons? It's kind of a double edged blade...if you don't have it and there is a loss, it can be huge due to the cost of them (especially the antique collectible ones) on the flip side then an outsider knows about your stash.
    Yup....had to....my policy only covers to $4000.....So I dispersed a few to family homes....and upped my policy.....

NVG....totally a work deduction!

I have a separate policy, have had several, but currently have the NRA endorsed policy where you don't have to provide serial numbers or anything except for individual weapons over $2500. So currently only my 50 bmg rifle is listed.

Bacon Spam

I live across from a huge state forest, the previous owner installed an 1 1/4 pvc line from the well to the roof for a jerry rigged fire sprinkler system for forest fires, I cut the line to fill my pool, but could easily put it back in place, as long as I can run my well pump off the generator, if I had to leave , I could fill the gen with fuel, start the water flow and bug out
    Not sure how the FD would feel about the gen full of fuel running in the middle of a forest fire, but the cascade of water off the roof and flooding my yard should be an equal consideration

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    We have many large fire extinguishers.....all buildings at BOL have metal roofs....made of masonry....

A pond with a large pump and enough hose to reach the main buildings....

And we have a '68 fire truck....500gal pumper...
    where do i signup?

eh... We have a fire safe, good for 30 minutes active fire, fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, etc...

Now, when i get a place of my own fire prevention will probably be one of the largest preps i have simply because I've dealt with a house fire in the past... if i have my way, sprinklers in the main residence, with a 500 or 1000 GPM water pump hooked up to a water source with 2 inch and a half attack lines... preferably, on a mobile platform (Gator, pickup, you get the idea)... That would be useful for any number of things from small grass fires, bonfires that get out of control, etc. Not cheap though :/

edit: If this post didn't make any sense, its because i was tired!
    Last edited by Twitchy; 06-08-2012 at 05:27 AM.
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    where do i signup?

eh... We have a fire safe, good for 30 minutes active fire, fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, etc...

Now, when i get a place of my own fire prevention will probably be one of the largest preps i have simply because I've dealt with a house fire in the past... if i have my way, sprinklers in the main residence, with a 500 or 1000 GPM water pump hooked up to a water source with 2 inch and a half attack lines... preferably, on a mobile platform (Gator, pickup, you get the idea)... That would be useful for any number of things from small grass fires, bonfires that get out of control, etc. Not cheap though :/

edit: If this post didn't make any sense, its because i was tired!
    It's ok, everyone is allowed brain farts once in a while
    I apologize for nothing...