Page 151 of 389 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Premium Member
    Metro: guineas are famous for early warning systems in my part of the country, the'll make noise at any thing that comes around the homestead, anything from coyotes to zombies...

Re: What have you done to prep this week?

Ty Greg
    Ill remember that for when we find and purchase a bol. Can they sustain themselves when we are not there? Or will they sustain the local predators lol.

We live in a big city just a few blocks away from a mall with 500 or so stores, Starbucks, bestbuy, about 6 banks 15 or so restaurants etc.

I do have a 6'+ fenced Perimeter that has been breached by pos scavengers stealing my returnable recyclables. I was planning to run some fishing net across the top of the fence to visually and physically deter anyone from climbing over and Im thinking to run a single strand of cat5e wire as a detection loop braided throughout the netting. Will be hooking the loop into a monitored alarm system that will notify me if the loop is violated.

I did this in my drywall downstairs as well to monitor my tenants.

Sry i went off topic.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

Premium Member
    they are pretty hardy, they roost in trees, the dogs and cats can't reach them, they are kinda like a turkey when flying, more like a sail for a ways. some Muscovy Ducks might work, they'll chase and pinch the crap outta a person...

I'll most likely shit myself

Very little this week. Other than work, mostly been thinking thru how to deal with any situation with the wife laid up. Steps and vehicles are big obstacles to crutches.

On the plus side, the chickens are laying eggs up a storm.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post

On the plus side, the chickens are laying eggs up a storm.
    You're lucky....our layers are slacking....were down to 100 per month +/-.......That's from 250+ this past fall.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

I talked to another prep buddy of mine today. His have quit recently. They are less than 2 years old. I feel very lucky, mine are doing better than they ever have.

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    You're lucky....our layers are slacking....were down to 100 per month +/-.......That's from 250+ this past fall.
    Echo in fall when it starts getting dark sooner up here we put a red heat lamp in the coop and leave it on all winter till spring. It tricks the chickens into laying all thru the year with very little drop off in egg laying.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle326 View Post
    Echo in fall when it starts getting dark sooner up here we put a red heat lamp in the coop and leave it on all winter till spring. It tricks the chickens into laying all thru the year with very little drop off in egg laying.
    I've read that.....have just been trying to avoid running a cord out there.....I'll let the wife make the call to do so.....it's her project.

But we were selling enough eggs to pay for all the feed....I do miss that.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

How much do you charge for a dozen? I'm getting to the point of being ready to start selling some myself. I was thinking $3.00/dozen. Our eggs are mostly large to extra large.

I'm not sure what she's charging...I'll ask and report back.