Page 2 of 389 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Crotch Rocket

I belive Dr. Stephen Covey would call that "sharpening the saw", Stig. Its the 7th of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" Organization is one of my weakest points right now, since I don't have a permanent home for too many things yet.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

Saturday we replanted most of our garden and put our watering system in the tomato and peppers.
    Tonight I organized a bunch of our storage food into some new totes for easy handling and storage of everything in one place.
    I got a bright idea to put some meds, anti dirreha, benadryl mortrin and a couple flashlights in several of the totes. I've had stuff scattered around and have been needing to organize it much better.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I did a ton of maintenance to both cars this week, on my Xterra we did, new belts, tire rotation, power steering hoses, and a new lower line for the ac and a recharge, as well as oil change, and a new cabin filter. On the Honda, we did: Synthetic oil change, rear brakes, power steering flush, coolant flush, transmission service, tire rotation. Not true preps but important for my long term budget, the ability to actually carry my gear if SHTF, and get to work to buy more preps, AND peace of mind that my wife is driving a safe and well maintained car with the baby on board.

re-organized the inside the house toolbox, which makes room for things that are currently in kitchen drawers or the laundry room, (This toolbox has picture hangers, hammer, pliers, a small level, screws, screwdrivers, Ikea furniture tools, and other stuff I'd use on a weekly basis) While doing that I realized that there was stuff that can go back to the big craftsman in the storage room down the hall, and some stuff that could be put in the truck toolbox. So... I ended up emptying out the toolbox for the truck, threw out some stuff that I have no idea how it got there, and washed it out and dried it, now I'm in the process of re-organizing it too. which is going to lead to me re-organizing the ammo can that's bolted to the top of my truck vault which holds bungee cords, tow rope and ratchet tie downs as well as cargo nets for adding a load on top of the truck in the event I'm bugging out and need the roof space.

Next week, I gotta find some more ammo cans, as the ammo has outgrown it's living quarters. The place I usually use, has a few left but they look like they've been underwater, and I don't feel like refurbing cans. Norhtern tool usually has them but has been out lately.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    I did a ton of maintenance to both cars this week, on my Xterra we did, new belts, tire rotation, power steering hoses, and a new lower line for the ac and a recharge, as well as oil change, and a new cabin filter. On the Honda, we did: Synthetic oil change, rear brakes, power steering flush, coolant flush, transmission service, tire rotation. Not true preps but important for my long term budget, the ability to actually carry my gear if SHTF, and get to work to buy more preps, AND peace of mind that my wife is driving a safe and well maintained car with the baby on board.
    I would argue that taking steps now to avoid/mitigate SHTF events down the road is the essence of prepping.

Prepping is not all about putting supplies on a shelf.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

I would argue that not maintaining your vehicles is somewhat irresponsible. You will have breakdowns at the worst possible moment if you don't. I have to have a vehicle I can depend on to get me back and forth to work and to other places I need to go. Same with the wife. It does suck having to maintain 2 cars, but you gotta if you use them.

Today I went to the local gun show and picked up a Isreli trauma bandage. I also got 100 rds of 147gr 9mm hollow points, 200 rds of 180Gr .308, & 400 rds of 55Gr .223. I also sold the SKS I had. First time I've ever sold one of my guns, but I decided to get rid of it since I didn't want to have to build a stock of another caliber right now. I was never crazy about it and felt like I would be better off stocking more for what I already have been working on.

I also picked up another oil lamp and another quart of lamp oil. Also got a package of wicks for it. Picked up another package of Esbit stove fuel.

Premium Member

Well, sometimes it is the little things in life. I took a couple hours and sharpened two of my axes. I tried to use one yesterday and it was like a butter knife on a stick. Took awhile to find my good file and my axe stone. Still needs some work but at least it now cuts instead of bludgeoning the wood to pieces.
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by alpmco View Post
    Well, sometimes it is the little things in life. I took a couple hours and to duracoat two of my axes pink to match my costume. I tried to use one yesterday and it was like a butter knife on a stick with that thick -like good bacon is- new finsih. Took awhile to find my good file and my axe stone so I could sharpen them. Still needs some work but at least it now cuts instead of bludgeoning the wood to pieces.
    Fixed it for ya!

And yes, sometimes it is the little things!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

I picked up my breacher bar today and got some orange 550 cord to wrap the handle. I also got a new pair of boots since the surplus store had some in my size. Goodbye black, hello tan! Good stuff!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Premium Member

I heard gas was going up 6 cents per liter in the next day or so (this was last week) So, topped up the Escape and all my Gerry cans....

And, the usual extra cans of food (Safeway had a special on soup, case of 12 for 4.99!!! Picked up tomato, Chicken noodle and vegetable) and case of water while grocery shopping. But, that has become habit now.
    Last edited by beginner; 05-17-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Made the downpayment on hurricane shutters for the house.

I'm sure the locals are laughing at the dumb Yankee but I have my reasons for the investment:
    Better protection
    Wife can install if I'm out of town for work
    Less install time means we can help my in-laws who will need assistance
    Easier to store
    I don't have to run to store like a maniac looking for plywood
    Don't have to spend an entire day cutting plywood
    The construction of my home does not lend itself to plywood use on the rear of the house (the one that would most likely face the storm)
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout