Page 375 of 389 FirstFirst ... 275325365373374375376377385 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,750 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Walking on Sunshine

Sorry I haven't been on much this summer. We lost all the maters due to blossom rot, learning experience for us. Everybody around here has lost their peas due to the heat. Salad greens have gone nuts, got about 10 cuttings from the plants. Gave some to the lady that does my hair, she wanted more but the plants have bolted. Now waiting till the seed pods form for next year, carrots are going good. Got 6 peppers off the ( 2 free) plants DH got AND they have more buds, so hope we can get more before it gets too cold here. Did get more canning jars, they were on sale plus I had coupons for two dollars off every case, SCORE!! It worked out to less than $3.00 per case. DH and I went to an estate sale (part 2 of this sale) got a lot of new towels, brand new for bath room for VERY little, hot pads and mitts. My mitts and pads are 15 years old, worn out, can't patch them any more,so DH says "Maybe it's time to replace them " LOL. He didn't get a change to snag some of the the totes the sale had. A lady said she was moving and took all the the good sized ones. The owner passed a few months ago and she was a hoarder so there was a TON of stuff there. MANY,many multiples of things. She had Christmas, all holidays, tons of unopened packages of bed linens,curtains and bath towel sets, dishes , costume jewelry, etc. DH said she put my dad, the King of the pack rat hoarders to shame with all the stuff she had stuffed in the pole barn and two story house.

I'll most likely shit myself

Mostly been gardening in my free time from work. We've already put up 2 dozen jars of maters, almost 4 dozen jars of pickles. Wife's been freezing okra, I think 7 gallons so far. Froze 4 big bags of bell peppers and a gallon bag of jalapenos. Also harvesting butternut, acorn, and patty pan squash, cantaloupes, watermelons, cabbage, kidney beans. Hope to dig my onions this weekend. That is if the rain hasn't rotted them in the ground.

Walking on Sunshine

Went to a Family Preparedness Expo today put on by one of the counties near me. Very interesting, met a younger couple and their 10 year old daughter that are prepping and exchanged contact info.They said they are concerned with what's been going on for the last few years so they decided to try and become more self sufficient. Met a lady that calls herself the "Canning Diva" and got some good advice about canning. Met someone that is part of a preparedness group north of me, was invited to the expo they are hosting end of the month. Looked them up and it's looks to be a large one, supposedly there are about 50 different vendors and lecturers so I'll be going to that end of the month. I saw them on Prepper Shows.com. Called a friend who lives there, she said they had done one last year and it was pretty good, no she doesn't prep (normalcy bias) but she said she had fun when (her "nutty" as she called him) cousin dragged her to it. So I'll let you all know how it was. I brought home some literature from today's expo and DH has been perusing it, so maybe there's hope for him yet. He actually pointed out an article Consumer's Report had on Get home bags and a couple of other articles on being prepared, imagine that.

Bacon saver

Built, sanded and sealed my control board for the solar power, 4'x8' sheet of plywood, in the new "AMB" Agricultural Maintenance Building. Then once I've installed all the appropriate pieces on the board, I'll be ordering batteries. More to follow
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Do you have a robot?
    I'm in the process of helping to put together a new range. We have a general purpose 100 yard shooting area with a more formal 600 yard range. I have about a dozen pieces of old reactive steel. All of our target stands are pretty beat up. We are also going to be welding up another 24 target stands. I just took delivery of 5 pepper poppers from MGM targets. Hopefully after the winter rains we can finish it up. We are looking to adding two plate racks, 12 knock downs, several stationary and at least 5 to 7 more poppers. The steel is being financed by our spent brass which we recycle. It is a shame we can not find a source to buy for reloading. Right now I have about 1,500 pounds of mixed 9 mm, 40 cal, 45 acp and 223 brass in my garage which I am going through and cleaning all the junk out. The nice thing is when this range is in operation there will be limited use but I will have access whenever I want.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

Just got the first 6 quarts of salsa canned. More to come on the weekend.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    I'm currently at the Remington Armorer school in Salinas (armpit) Ca. The 870 is an easy system to work on but I need the cert renewed. The nice thing is I get 50% off msrp one gun from Remington. Next week I will be shopping!!!
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Walking on Sunshine

Went to the expo last week end, think I posted elsewhere ,was a bit disappointing as half the vendors didn't show .Got some good information and met a few like minded people.Came home re energized(been a bit down lately). went this week end to university annual fruit and veggie sale. Came home with a flat of Roma tomatoes, a huge butternut squash,acorn squash and some peppers. They had as well as EVERYBODY around here tons of apples Haven't finished getting ours off the trees yet has been raining something awful here last two weeks so most of the apples are still on the trees. Monday we are processing the maters and it should dry up pretty good beginning of the week so we can get the ladder set up safely and get the rest of the apples, we're going to be VERY busy this next week. I'm still somewhat restricted,so DH will have to get the pots on the stove, lift the jars AND screw most of the rings on for me. We also celebrated our 44th anniversary last week. I got a new water canner OH and a beautiful bouquet of flowers. It's official I gave DH two boxes for his present. It's the Chantix I started today so far so good no reaction(allergy wise). Just pray I DO NOT react badly to this stuff. Will let you all know how I am doing in the next 2 months.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Careful with Chantix, I had some crazy shit going in my head when I was on it. Had to stop taking it. I quit cold turkey 8 years ago.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Walking on Sunshine

Thanks helo, Tried cold turkey twice but due to me being a hyperactive person(per my doctor, mother , grandmother) started to develop an ulcer. AND YES, my doctors do call me "Abby-normal". I had the chicken pox twice as a kid and then freaked my doctor out,caught them again as an adult. He believed it's due to the Lupus but couldn't actually prove it.
    Forgot to add. Just did up the tomatoes, very disappointed about a third were bad (no can't get money back). Got 7 pint and a half jars cooling , rest were cooked down for sauce , got 2 pints and a half pint. Half pint is in fridge , couldn't get it to stop floating in the canner. Called my aunt and she said just use it up as you cooked it already, should be fine. Gotta believe her as she's been doing canning for over 40 years now.