Page 381 of 389 FirstFirst ... 281331371379380381382383 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,810 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

We save seeds every year, and plant them the next year. Not 100%, but we always get some.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I'll most likely shit myself

I do the same. Tomatoes, peppers, melons, squash, cucumbers, okra, beans. If I grow open pollinated corn I keep it to.

Walking on Sunshine

Our county/Township is having a "Recycle-Rama" tomorrow. So we are getting rid of the old broken printer, PC (no mother board or other stuff of value in it) and a bunch of other things he has cleaned out of the garage.They are also taking old medicines this time. So DH will be able to empty his Sharps container safely.Feels so good to get rid of the stuff.

I spent all day yesterday planting a dozen berry plants I had bought last year and repotted for a year to let them grow a little. Got almost half inch of rain this morning. The plants were all standing up nice and looking good.

Walking on Sunshine

Well it looks like we may get one or two tomatoes from the plants. Gypsy Bell Peppers are just now starting to get their red stripes but the salad greens bit the dust along with my 3 yr old poinsettia. Poor ole Fred,he's done given up the ghost. On the other hand I'm getting a new stove end of the month. Oven in the electric has been dying and of course can't be fixed anymore(planned obsolescence by companies). So when we went to Lowe's for the new blinds for bdrm windows, we went over to the appliance area. The stove we've had our eyes on went on sale BIG TIME. No not clearancing out just big sale. SO DH said time to get it YEAH now I don't have to pull the camp stove out to do my canning. Oh yes doors and windows are finally done. Now DH has to figure out the colors on the walls and touch up around the moldings and paint the french doors. For those of you who don't know DH is color blind so all colors look like various shades of grey to him so he can't tell subtle differences in colors, eggshell white and alabaster for example.They all look the same to him. That should be all for this year. Getting ready for our cousin's visit end of the month and his college friends visit end of September. Still plugging away at the "preps" . Went to Costco's and got a case of green beans and corn but they were out of peas but I didn't see any signs talking about shortages due to the bad weather. Picked those up at the market this morning along with some canned spuds (for easy meals).

Walking on Sunshine

Hi all,
    Hope you're all doing well. Stove is in, YEAH!!!. Was talking with neighbor cross the street about me learning to pressure can and she said she wanted to learn too. Since the tomatoes are gone off the branches of the plants,seems the squirrels and/or the raccoons may have stripped them off the plants including the ones with blossom rot, going to have to hit the farmers market. I'm going to invite my neighbor to go in with me on some produce and learn to pressure can veggies and fruit with me. we both water bath can things but neither one of us have pressure canned before. I think we've also lost the entire crop of apples this year as well. They didn't get sprayed in time due to the copious amounts of rain we got this spring, every one of them is either too buggy or rotting on the trees.This has not been a good year for anything, my neighbors garden is almost a bust too. I think they have squash and cukes but pretty much nothing else, that's what they've told us.We trade produce with them. He was ripping out plants this past week end, he didn't look too happy either. However the deer are anxiously waiting till the apples ripen and fall off the trees, LOL. Good thing we both have full larders to get us by this winter. DH and our neighbor will be trying again next year. Haven't seen any of the "Sorry for the inconvenience" signs in our local stores yet but I'm sure that might be happening soon. How's it going for the rest of you? Have a favor for you all, DH is a census worker this year (and next) so be kind to them OKAY?Have a good Labor Day Week-end and stay safe.

Walking on Sunshine

Hi all, sorry I haven't been on lately. Have been busy with house guests. Had old friends come and stay, then Son1 & Fam came up last weekend, spur of the moment before he starts another job in GA(with possibility of overseas again). Came home after being in Seoul for 4 weeks on a movie. Now DH's college room mate (and uncle to his BF) is here. Had just enough time between the guests and Son to wash the sheets and remake the beds and clean out the cat boxes LOL. Did get to an Emergency Expo Saturday, met up with a young couple just starting out. She is interested in learning how to can, so maybe I can get her and the neighbor here when I start putting up stuff. Did pick up an emergency trauma kit,Army surplus (brand new never been opened) for the BOB and a couple of those credit card style "knives", some Colloidal silver (local distributor, yeah!!) and a couple of tins of Wheat berries (from Thrive) that will go in the lower pantry. Didn't win any door prizes like last year but had a good time. This year they had a good program on DIY solar and wind. It was interesting and very informative. SO that's on my to do list now.

i ordered a eton am/fm/noaa radio on amazon last week.like the one in link below.but for less.it's delayed in Houston due to flooding.

plus I've canned 18 pints of chicken n rice soup.

edit..it aint letting me post the link.that suddenly remembered.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I found on Marketplace under the Facebook page, a 100 qt stock pot for a good price, but nowhere near me. I asked if he could mail it to me if I paid for the shipping, he said yes. To make a short story long, the missus and I are in Gatlinburg for the week with extended family joining us for the weekend. I sent the money through PayPal to the pot man, but he said he didn’t receive it. After 2 days, I found out I put his name in correctly, but was off one letter on his email. PayPal would not let me cancel it, so I contacted him again, admitted my stupid mistake, and told him I was in no hurry for him to send it as I was in Gatlinburg for the week. He wrote me back and said, no worries, but if I wanted to pick it up, he was just 20 minutes down the road in Colby TN.
    So, I drove there this morning and picked up.....so, now that I’ve wasted enough of your time with this, kinda strange how it turned out.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

DG,
    Glad the deal worked out on the canner. Did you mean Cosby instead of Colby? If so, That is one of my favorite spots in the mountains. Beautiful area. I'd love to find just the right spot near there or north just a ways to retire to.