Page 3 of 389 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Crotch Rocket

That "dumb Yankee" cover is probably one of the best assets you can play on for a bit It will explain away a lot of "strange" behavior I'd guess. Good call on the shutters btw.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I finally joined a food warehouse. SAMS. they had a membership drive. cost me 20 bucks for a year. I havnt gone to them or costco in around 5 years. was just never impressed with them. They kinda suck up here to start with compared to some I have been in in the lower 48.
    funny thing is i can get a refund for it if done beore a year is up soooooo theoretically I could utulize it for most of the time then get my 20 bucks back

anyways we will see what kind of deals I can find. I will probably lean towards, Tp/paper products and toiletries in general.

I'll most likely shit myself

Nice call on the shutters Stig. I've been giving thought to buying plywood and pre=cutting everything I need. Predrill the holes to mount them as well. I have several windows and some of them 3 stories up, so it will take time to get them up. Having as much of the work done before hand will have to be a good thing IMO.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Made the downpayment on hurricane shutters for the house.

I'm sure the locals are laughing at the dumb Yankee but I have my reasons for the investment:
    Better protection
    Wife can install if I'm out of town for work
    Less install time means we can help my in-laws who will need assistance
    Easier to store
    I don't have to run to store like a maniac looking for plywood
    Don't have to spend an entire day cutting plywood
    The construction of my home does not lend itself to plywood use on the rear of the house (the one that would most likely face the storm)
    If the locals are laughing at you, they are the dumb one. This is one of the smartest thing you could do by buying these shutters. I am always laughing myself when a witness in a state like the state of Florida people running for the stores to buy plywood and groceries but just a few hours away from a hurricane. I have always said that if I was to buy a house in a hurricane prone state than my first purchase would be shutters. For that matter, shutters could be used for other situations like a riot or anything that would need to to prevent access through the windows. It is definitely a smart investment.

What you are doing is the essence of prepping!

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    If the locals are laughing at you, they are the dumb one. This is one of the smartest thing you could do by buying these shutters. I am always laughing myself when a witness in a state like the state of Florida people running for the stores to buy plywood and groceries but just a few hours away from a hurricane. I have always said that if I was to buy a house in a hurricane prone state than my first purchase would be shutters. For that matter, shutters could be used for other situations like a riot or anything that would need to to prevent access through the windows. It is definitely a smart investment.

I agree... and even though I'm not in a coastal area, I'd love to get some of those for my new place (when I find it). I would sleep much more soundly knowing nobody could get into the house while I'm either sleeping or away for the day.

This week has been a trip... getting the daughters straightened out, and helping my sister with her preps, as she lives about three hours from here.
    Last edited by damienstoy; 05-21-2011 at 11:41 AM.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Actually, in France, most houses and apartments are fit with some kind of wood, metal or plastic shutters. People close them every night or when they leave.

To see some samples : Google Photo Search

Premium Member

Ugh.... well, for the long weekend I prepped by picking up a few t-bones, 24 pack, and some veggies for bbq'ing. (Yellow and orange peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, baby corn, red onion, garlic cloves mixed in olive oil bbq'd then mixed with feta cheese, yum! Then baby potatoes wrapped in tinfoil with a 1/4 stick of butter thrown in.... Quite tasty.

I'll most likely shit myself

What time is supper? Bet I done missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by beginner View Post
    Ugh.... well, for the long weekend I prepped by picking up a few t-bones, 24 pack, and some veggies for bbq'ing. (Yellow and orange peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, baby corn, red onion, garlic cloves mixed in olive oil bbq'd then mixed with feta cheese, yum! Then baby potatoes wrapped in tinfoil with a 1/4 stick of butter thrown in.... Quite tasty.
    why is this not in the recipe thread slacker?:P

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    Dang...that sounds familiar.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout