Page 12 of 389 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Got one of those nice portable camping toilets, 2 5 gallon plastic water jugs, 5 gallon size gas cans, and a nice Bully roof rack soft cargo carriers to go on top of our Jeep Commander. All were let over from my dad's garage sale last weekend, so he gave em to me for free. Not a bad haul for free.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Premium Member

Picked up 500 rds of 9mm for $99 last Thursday. Had a little weather issue last week, power got knocked out. Food in fridge went bad, so a genny is on the list of things to buy now. I should have bought one years ago, but what can you do?

I'll most likely shit myself

Spent the weekend getting started laying out my chicken coop. TONS of work left to do. I am taking a few pics as I go and I'll try to get them up here as times goes on.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

BP, pm sent.....I picked up some more rice and beans and a few can goods, then found chicken in cans the size of the small tunas for 10/$10.00--got 10 for now and will be picking up more soon. I kept 2 cases of mres for us and broke those down for storage in our packs.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Picked up about 50 cans of chicken as mentioned by Lunchbox in the earlier above thread.
    Ordered another 25 bags of Saline solution from Medical Supplies, Medical Equipment, Physician Supplies | Dealmed.com , These to replace the ones we used during a recent practice run,
    Got a hell of a deal on 2 - 55 gallon trashcans full of Ball Canning Jars, paid $20.00 for all of them and the lady threw in the trash cans for free! Approx 85 Ball Jars for $20!
    Picked up 20 quarts of Tropical Grove Juices, Great for STS (Short Term Storage) for the kids BOB's.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Picked up 25 lbs of all purpose flour
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

Over the last couple weeks, I have my camp in the woods set up and ready.

RE Voltage drop

This is why buildings are wired with AC at higher voltages. We are use to Ohms law but forget Watts law, a derivative of Ohms law. In essence it means the higher the voltage, the less the current that is requred to accoplish the same amount of work. wattage is figured as voltage times current. So if the load draw 100 watts you need so supply 100volts time 1amp, or 10 volts times ten amps. When we say we have a voltage drop on a length of wire ( for the other readers who do not know), it means that there is a current loss through the wire. The hevier the wire is the less loss there will be.
    Now the example of 100 volts vs 10 volts that I gave isnt quite that simple as the equipment you are using must be able to use they voltage source you have. In the instance of our House wiring being AC at lower current levels, all the equipment we use is designed around that source. But when wiring a house for DC the fact is there is no real safe wire size, due to heating dependent on the load. Realistically 0ga is about the only safe minimum diameter to minimize fire hazard. AC however does not have this issue as long as the wire is not coiled up. Not going into the math or long explanations the average voltage of a 120 volt AC line in the wall is zero volts (sine wave crosses zero voltage remember?) so this limits heating under load, but DC under load just continues to generate heat, even on good conductors when under load unless the conductor is massive.

OK all the background is in place, you have the right idea but implementation needs modification. Dual batteries outside, raised off the ground. with binding post connectors on insulated plates mounted on a junction box in the room with a gennie type twist lock plug junction box outside with mated plug and cable to the parallel wired batteries. To this add a solar panel and controller (check out harbor freight under 200 bucks) and this should do what you need. Also avoid the myth of the Golf cart batteries they are made to be recharged and discharged a lot but do not have the deep cycle capacity, and if drained down til dead and recharged too often they will be destroyed. they are not made for deep cycle use. I hope I didnt go overboard on explanation on the whys, not knowing expertice levels here yet, the background info helps make the rest of the info useable in other endeavors

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I found a 5000w/6250w surge generator on Craigslist yesterday. Checked it out today, used but functions perfectly. 120/240v with circuit breakers on all 4 plugs and a wheel kit.
    I picked it up for $225. It also came with a 25' 10/2 w ground with a box that connects directly to our camper.
    Down side is that it is very LOUD! I am very open to ideas on how to quite it down even a little. Upside, it's gonna help me get the chicken coop put together quicker, we'll have a genset for the camper should we need to boondock sometime. And if needed we have power for our freezers and fridge for a period.
    First and foremost is what is the physical size of the gennie (not rating)and can you post a pic? Secondly, what type of motor is on it? It is always possible to replace the muffler with something bigger and quieter but you have to becareful that you dont end up burning the exhaust valve(s) depending on what you do. Be careful about putting any kind of shroud around it. Overheating the genset itself, can destroy the windings and you are stuck with a motor that runs bit no electricity. A "friend" did yhat with one of my small generators. Now I have spare parts for a machine I dont have.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaTea View Post
    I have shot up a few K of Wolf 5.56. Never had a problem with it, mostly used in the Mini-14 and some in the AR-15s. Sometimes I wonder about the 'rep' that wolf has or if I am just setting myself up for failure. I use it for practice only. It is OK by me.

2 more buckets of rice and a case of pintos
    All that talk about canned BACON in the other thread, well, I couldn't resist it, I bought another case
    Wolf is just dirty ammo, Know what it is, use it for what it is and treat your firearms accordingly and you should have no problem.