Page 269 of 389 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279319369 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

I call big spoon.
    [IMG][/IMG] I've got my water, fire and stove kits in the bottom and lower front compartment, the main, front, lid and side compartments are still empty. Ive got a bunch of navigation and first aid tools. I still need to put my sleep mat in and a maintenance kit. My arctic woobie will sort if replace a sleeping bag, but I don't keep that packed.

I still don't have food, and clothing and a rifle packed but I intend to keep the pack weight down. As best I can. It's already going well. I cut out what wasn't necessary when packing my pullouts[IMG][/IMG]

I call big spoon.
    [IMG][/IMG]

A 7 dollar plano box and a sale at the local sporting goods store and I'm almost finished with my "oh crap" box.
    I had the box, just painted it..... I like being hidden. I've had people walk by my friend and I in the woods and not see us.
    Kit contains some small arms parts. Springs, pins, broken shell remover, some zipper and sewing kits and patch kits, maintenance kit for my stove and a roll of gorilla tape.

I kept it as light as I could with the intent to keep Murphy at bay. I know if I didn't get the zipper kit, I'd ruin a zipper. If i didn't get a patch kit, I'd melt a hole in my woobie, and so on.

I may have listed about anything but I'd love suggestions on small parts and such to keep with me. Pretty much I've got something to maintain each tool I have.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    709, what bag is that? Its a good looking bag!

I sold all 3 of my sigs yesterday to offset the cost of the M&P 40, plus my reloading gear came today... Ordered 1K once fired brass from K, the reloading bench and accessories are coming together nicely!

Going to field the M&P for the first time tomorrow... (Thats right, video to come...)

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I call big spoon.
    The ruck? It's an Eberlestock g4 operator. I've been getting more into technical hunting gear. I don't get to hunt but those folks know outdoors gear without having the obnoxious colors. Every soccer mom and college kid wears north face.

I love my sig but I really like the m and p. I purged my 40 cal to stick with 9mm and I'll have 45 as well. But the mp is one of my favorite striker guns.

This bag has a ton of positives, some drawbacks but nothing to make one pass it up.

You can pm me if you would lIke details. I've kicked around the idea of getting another bag (kifaru emr ii or nomad) and keeping or selling this.
    Eberlestock added a new frame design I want to learn more about.

I've got a bunch of reloading stuff I havnt used in a while. Sad face. The Dillon precision is awesome, great customer service, rcbs are amazing folks too.

I was given ingots and a bunch of stuff to cast 45 but I can't do it indoors, and have no outside outlets. ..let alone a yard

I'll most likely shit myself

Quote Originally Posted by oif0709 View Post
    Slowly putting together a sustainment bag. My Eberlestock pack that I can have enough essentials to comfortably be out on my own. Keeping weight down while keeping the 2 is 1 and 1 is none idea.

I got my kifaru pullouts today, lightweight pouches to organize my pack for my stove, water purification, fire starters and so on.

The pack has a ton of organization and plenty of room, so it can get heavy quick.

I believe preparedness has much to do with proficiency in my equipment and how to get along without it.
    I like your idea of organizing with bags. Size wise you take one look and know whats in there. Makes things quick and easy, especially in the dark.

What type light do you go with? Headlight/flashlight? Also, what type of water filter? I saw you mentioned a Sterilite, but it sounded like you have a different primary. And your stove?

I get going on backcountry gear and have tried quite a bit of stuff over the years. Always got the eyes out for new good stuff.

I call big spoon.
    For a light I have a petzl strix. I love it, I'm looking into a small lantern from streamlight for my tent.
    I like inforce lights on my weapons and I love surefire. Expensive but circuitry is a help for battery life. A 60 thousand million lumin light is cool but if it cost 10 bucks, it'll last as long as a roll of toilet paper in a household of 6.

I've got a katadyn water filter. I've used it in standing water in a swamp, lived to take a PT test the next day. I've used it in lakes no problem. I like steripen but it takes lithium batteries to run properly. And they even suggest a filter. It'll work but it's got some weight. It'll do in a pinch. But my theory is if you're so bad off that you need 6o use it in muddy water.....how long will you last when the battery dies. I won't Bail on it, and have used it. But it's more categorized as outdoor gear and not so much survival.

The stove is an msr dragonfly. They make a few multiple fuels stoves but this one will run off diesel, kerosene, gasoline, white fuel, and although not recommended, E85 and alcohol. It comes with jets for the thicker fuels. Boils fast. I have a biolite, it's a bit heavy. Holds a charge to run the fan forever. Very efficient, but I chose weight and a few other factors the msr had when moving the gas stove into my sustainment bag. It'll burn crap fuel. and burns fairly long on a bottle

I'll most likely shit myself

I started years ago with the original Peak one stove. Worked great, boils water in under 3 minutes, has a great control on it if you just want to simmer something. But it weighed about 3 lbs filled with fuel and it only used white gas. So being the wise ass I am I got a MSR Whisper light. Cut a good lb off the weigth. But I never did like the control on it. It would either burn hot enough to melt aluminum, or just bearly simmer, not a lot in between. I ended up going back to a newer model Whisper light, multi fuel model. I works as good as the original and weights probably about the same. But I have yet to have a failure with either one, or the MSR for that matter.

I have also used various little foldable stoves over the years. My favorite is a small little thing that I picked up at a gun show for $20. It runs on the small fuel cartridge and works really well. I keep one in both of our GHB's along with a folding handle aluminum cup. My other super light weight favorite is a Esbit folder. Not sure it'll boil water, but it'll burn for 10-15 minutes to heat up some stuff to eat and drink. The fuel is also a great fire starter. Burns plenty long enough to get wood going.

I like Petzel headlamps as well. We have 3-4 model of various ages, including two we just got last year. They are the best I've had for battery useage.

I call big spoon.
    I felt the control on my stove was good for adjustable rate. I have yet to try if on another fuel. It's worth it, as is. A good range to it, I eyed the whisper light as well. I just wanted durability and multiple fuels plus adjustable flame.

It is loud though. I want to get a dragon tamer or quiet stove for it. A cup that goes on it to quiet them down.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Cool info, thx! Ive settled on the USMC ILBE, for the money its an awesome bag!

I went with the 40 for a respectable intermediate cartridge, but will be getting the Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel when I can spare the extra sawbacks.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I call big spoon.
    I'm trying to color code the pullouts with different color cord. I stole some orange off a fire piston which I put on my fire starters bag, I'll find a red piece for the stove. Green probably for my mess kit and a blue for water purification. The sizes help me figure out what's what, and they're kind of see through. But in dim lighting they're one mass of nylon.