Page 16 of 389 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Queen of the Doom Room
    I spent over two hours this morning cleaning up after our "No Name Storm" that hit us this weekend. A Low that turned Tropical just overhead of us. We got 10"+ rain on Saturday, a couple more on Sunday but Sunday brought 40+ mph winds and we had 50+mph gusts. The garden took a beating, all my seedlings that haven't been set yet got spanked and the winds sucked most of my gardening stuff out the tubs on my garden shelving unit and scattered everything across the yard. I got all the seedlings planted "up" in the hopes that more soil would help wick some of the water away from the roots but they aren't looking so great. I'm not confident they'll make it.

Then I came in and cleaned up where our roof leaked during the weekend. DH ran to Lowes Sunday morning during a break in the rain, climbed up on the roof and found a couple of loose roofing nails. Slapped on some roofing mastic and it seems as though they were the culprits because we've seen no more water so I went ahead and dumped the buckets and got everything cleaned up...except for the ceiling which looks like hell and has holes in it to allow for drainage but it's fixable.

Then I did a double canning session. Got 32 Pints of Chicken done today with enough meat left to do about three more pints tomorrow. One more month of protein on the shelf.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I met up with Lunchbox and Kodiak. Then proceeded to drive home with half of Fort Campbell in my car.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Getting ready to PCS next week and finally getting around to cleaning out the garage. Found about five combat loads of 30 round AR-15 mags, four cleaning kits, and a 77/22 I haven't seen in almost a year :P Also found two 72hr bags and one of my large ruck sacks... Guess those wouldn't have done me too much good if I'd actually needed to get to them in a hurry. Lesson learned: Organization is key. You can have all the high-speed gear in the world, but if you can't get to it in a timely manner then it doesn't do you much good.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by JustAPrepper View Post
    I spent over two hours this morning cleaning up after our "No Name Storm" that hit us this weekend. A Low that turned Tropical just overhead of us. We got 10"+ rain on Saturday, a couple more on Sunday but Sunday brought 40+ mph winds and we had 50+mph gusts. The garden took a beating, all my seedlings that haven't been set yet got spanked and the winds sucked most of my gardening stuff out the tubs on my garden shelving unit and scattered everything across the yard. I got all the seedlings planted "up" in the hopes that more soil would help wick some of the water away from the roots but they aren't looking so great. I'm not confident they'll make it.

Then I came in and cleaned up where our roof leaked during the weekend. DH ran to Lowes Sunday morning during a break in the rain, climbed up on the roof and found a couple of loose roofing nails. Slapped on some roofing mastic and it seems as though they were the culprits because we've seen no more water so I went ahead and dumped the buckets and got everything cleaned up...except for the ceiling which looks like hell and has holes in it to allow for drainage but it's fixable.

Then I did a double canning session. Got 32 Pints of Chicken done today with enough meat left to do about three more pints tomorrow. One more month of protein on the shelf.
    Oh girl I am so sorry! I know you put so much work into your garden just to sit and watch it all blow away and drown! I do hope you can salvage some of it and it's not as bad as it looks right now. But hey, you got 32 pints of chicken done today! Well done...can you take a pic of one of the jars so I know what mine are supposed to look like when it's done? Keep your head up and at least you are far south enough where you should be able to replant.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    I met up with Lunchbox and Kodiak. Then proceeded to drive home with half of Fort Campbell in my car.
    Show off! LOL! Hope ya got some good junk!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    Oh girl I am so sorry! I know you put so much work into your garden just to sit and watch it all blow away and drown! I do hope you can salvage some of it and it's not as bad as it looks right now. But hey, you got 32 pints of chicken done today! Well done...can you take a pic of one of the jars so I know what mine are supposed to look like when it's done? Keep your head up and at least you are far south enough where you should be able to replant.
    Also, look at it this way....you can't control the weather but you collected and planted again like nothing happened, then went and did more canning than most do without a storm. I think you will be just fine.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    I didn't come back with as much gear but made an even better investment in a good start to new friendship for me and Kodiak with Izzy. As good as beans and bullets anyday.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    I managed to go and dehydrate 3 bushel baskets of apples and get them all packaged up. I may have made a new contact as far finding a cheaper source of meat than the one I currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Dragon rape seed is available. Some larger farms around here have started growing it. I wasn't aware it made a good green manure. I'll give that a try. The clover was mainly to build some nitrogen quickly.
    Thanks for the idea.
    It does the nitrogenating as well as clover but doesnt run the risk of spreading as bad as clover does so you dont need to worry about it acting like an unwanted weed after you till it in, or it spreading into unwanted areas ( worked my way through college in a feed & seed store).

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    Also, look at it this way....you can't control the weather but you collected and planted again like nothing happened, then went and did more canning than most do without a storm. I think you will be just fine.
    An old saying goes whether or not there will be weather...