Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GHB breakdown

For the Love of Cats

^
    The 'blood tracker' ones are 'meh' at best. If there is a good bleed, then they do ok, but if the animal is lung shot and expiring a mist (as they often do), then a plain white light and a paper towel work 100x better.

I agree 100% on the hands free lights. I have some regular ones, but 90+% of the time, I just use a cap light:

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?page...=2005&ID=40412

A buddy's company is looking to market these:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cloth...3Bcat103957380
    and when he does I'll probably pick one up for hunting season
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

Totally agree! I've been using those for years backpacking, working on cars, caving, all kinds of uses. We have 2 older model Petzels we've had for 20+ years that still work great, original bulbs even. We've gotten a couple of LED types the past few years and they are decent, but don't compare to the Petzel's. Last fall I found a 60 lumen Petzel for $30 at a local backpacking store. That thing is very nice. I've used it periodically over the past year including one backpacking trip and still on the first set of batteries.

I will be getting a few more of these. Hands free is the way to go.

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    maybe a couple energy bars, maps of the local area/state. Some cash/coins. smalll fishing kit. Dump the rope and replace it with para chord?

Just some thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a couple tea bags or instacoffee and steel cup? couple mints and/or chewy gum. these help break the monotony and give you a way to bleed off stress.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

More trauma gear? Maybe an Israeli bandage and an H&H chest seal. That would cover most any deep wound and sucking chest wounds without taking up a ton of space.

There's all sorts of ways you can bang yourself up so bad you require trauma gear and it not even be in the middle of a SHTF event.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Administrator

GHB breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by Dropy View Post
    maybe a couple energy bars, maps of the local area/state. Some cash/coins. smalll fishing kit. Dump the rope and replace it with para chord?

Just some thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a couple tea bags or instacoffee and steel cup? couple mints and/or chewy gum. these help break the monotony and give you a way to bleed off stress.
    The General and I are not coffee drinkers. Although we love the crystal light and poweraide mixes you can throw into water. Perfect to supplement lost electrolytes hiking or running with gear on. Didn't even think about that. Para
    Cord is in the bag now. Keeping the rope for towing purposes. I'll probably make it a permanent addition to the SUV.

I do need some maps of my AO. Lot of Forrest up here. Easy to get lost.

Fishing kit is on my SHTF to do list.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Administrator

GHB breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    More trauma gear? Maybe an Israeli bandage and an H&H chest seal. That would cover most any deep wound and sucking chest wounds without taking up a ton of space.

There's all sorts of ways you can bang yourself up so bad you require trauma gear and it not even be in the middle of a SHTF event.
    You are right that I'm lacking trauma gear. Working on getting bandages and seals. Quick clot also comes to mind as well. As far as a chest seal there is always improvising. Clean side of an mre bag and enough medical tape will work as a seal.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

I have had GHBs in our cars since before I knew what a GHB was. Here in So. Cal. I am more prepared for roads to be blocked due earthquake damage. I am prepared to live off my bag for about 3 days in an emergency. We carry clean socks and some extra undies. In the years I have carried that bag, I have used it 3 times --- all for first aid when coming upon auto accidents. The last time was a bad head-on in the mountains that involved 3 cars. The vehicle just ahead of me was driven by a paramedic and his wife who was a former paramedic. They had NO first aid gear and were quite happy with all the latex gloves, bandages and tape I was able to supply. They were able to provide treatment to the four badly injured people until the ambulances could get on scene.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
    I have had GHBs in our cars since before I knew what a GHB was. Here in So. Cal. I am more prepared for roads to be blocked due earthquake damage. I am prepared to live off my bag for about 3 days in an emergency. We carry clean socks and some extra undies. In the years I have carried that bag, I have used it 3 times --- all for first aid when coming upon auto accidents. The last time was a bad head-on in the mountains that involved 3 cars. The vehicle just ahead of me was driven by a paramedic and his wife who was a former paramedic. They had NO first aid gear and were quite happy with all the latex gloves, bandages and tape I was able to supply. They were able to provide treatment to the four badly injured people until the ambulances could get on scene.
    nice reviving of this post.

as for the GHB/BOB to me are essentially the same, as my needs are different than others. in addition i also carry a fully stocked Tri Fold Med Bag, for life's little emergencies.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

I'll most likely shit myself

Read my mind Rob! I have a old Trifold med bag in the truck, loaded with all kinds of stuff including a small surgery kit. I don't have the skills for some of it, but I'd rather have the gear in the case someone that knew how to use it and didn't have their own gear with them.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Read my mind Rob! I have a old Trifold med bag in the truck, loaded with all kinds of stuff including a small surgery kit. I don't have the skills for some of it, but I'd rather have the gear in the case someone that knew how to use it and didn't have their own gear with them.
    i am not a doctor, by any means. that was the thought i had when i started carrying it with me, but have since taken the steps to be more proficient in it's use.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy