Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GHB breakdown

OP, how far from home do you envision yourself typically being that in a worst case scenario you'd need to cover, and do you make seasonal adjustments to your kit. I'm guessing if you're in the military in NYS you're at Drum, and life there usually consists of various degrees of cold interspersed with black fly season and a few weeks of a relatively cool summer......

may be in trouble

Fort Drum -used- to be the Cold Weather Training Center, until they transferred it to Ft. Wainwright in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    Fort Drum -used- to be the Cold Weather Training Center, until they transferred it to Ft. Wainwright in Alaska.
    Drum is still plenty cold for cold weather training
    I've shown up on a Thursday night to occupy a range, start shooting on a Friday in the rain and by the time we cleared the range on Sunday we were standing in several inches of snow

I'm was wondering what brand is the tarp. I had one for camping before the flood and all my stuff was stolen before I got back to my house. I'm trying to replace items, but I cant find that tarp anywhere.

Crotch Rocket

I have one. Its manufactured by Outdoor Products, and I got mine at Walmart.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    I have one. Its manufactured by Outdoor Products, and I got mine at Walmart.
    The OP blues are standard duty, the silvers are heavy duty, and cost 1.5-2 times as much varying by size. My soon-to-be-late store has them in (feet) 6x8, 8x10, 9x12, 10x20, 16x30 and 24x40. For a GHB I'd say a 9x12 at the largest, preferably removed from its store packing, shaken out, folded to fit, and if at all possible vacuumsealed.

I'd also recommend a 'brick' or two in fiat.

Kesephist fiat "brick"

2x$20
    2x$10
    6x$5
    10x$1

Save for the fact that numerous people regard $2 as unspendable, I would have said 4x$5 and 5x$2.

In the movie BOUND, one of the bad guys is shown ironing fiat between two damp cloths, using a low temp setting iron. A stack of 20 bills new comes out to about a third of an inch thick. Regular handling, about a half inch. A quart Ziploc with all the air pressed out, folded over, and sealed, should do.

may be in trouble

UST makes a 5 in 1 tool that could take care of the whistle and compass.

The underside of the compass/cap is a 25c-sized mirror. Doesn't come with matches, if the bleach comes in a small enough container, park it there.

Boots... break them in NOW, as there is no more grievous ache than breaking in new boots out in the boonies. Voice of experience, here.

Spare laces. Make one of them 550-cord-macrame bands everyone's making, but out of each spare lace. I mind some combat boots have a loop on the back of the upper to help pull them on, that's where I would park the spare lace band. That or thread it through the lacing at the very bottom eyelets of each boot, above the tounge but under the lacing itself.

However many pairs extra socks... add another pair.

Buck Bantam or other good locking back/locking blade folding knife. NOT a dam' liner lock. An extra knife is never a bad thing. A sheath with a honing stone in it would be excellent. Honingstone with sparking stone on back would be top flight as long as it didnt add more bulk.

Kesephist
    Added image.

Do you have a robot?
    My GHB is always changing. I generally have just a small bag which goes with me everywhere. I have seen videos of people who have a GHB that weighs 60 to 70 pounds which is totally unrealistic. I try to keep mine small and portable so there is no reason to leave it behind. I generally am no farther than 5 to 10 miles from home so I am not looking at long term. The farther I go I do add things. My biggest problem is when I fly then so many things change.

One thing I make a differentiation from is what is in my truck and what is in my GHB. The truck is set up for INCH which can be used for resupply. In the truck is a larger backpack should I need it. My GHB is just that short term one day for me. When many people look at a GHB they don’t include a gun or ammo. My GHB since I am looking at short distance has a minimum of four loaded magazines.

For my wife I put together a small Rush 12 pack which includes a small boo boo kit, toiletries, socks, underwear, a light jacket, Bic lighters, knife, cash, phone list, a map of the area and state. Since she does not even care about having a bag I keep it limited.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

UST makes a 5 in 1 tool that could take care of the whistle and compass.
    I'm always concerned with any gear that tries to do too many things.
    Any primary compass should be just that..a dedicated full size compass.