Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Izzy's Gear Reviews: Camillus Carnivore

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Izzy's Gear Reviews: Camillus Carnivore

Up for review this week is the Camillus Carnivore.

I've seen this one sitting in Wally World for a little while now. It intrigued me. Hence, a new review.

From the Camillus site:

Description
    CM19074: Carnovire 12" Titanium Bonded Fixed Blade
    Camillus Knives

The Camillus Carnivore is the tool for every chore. A 12″ Titanium Bonded blade which is intended not just for cutting but sawing, chiseling, digging, and wire cutting as well. The rubberized handle is extremely ergonomic and provides good traction in all weather conditions. The forward weighted balance of the blade makes chopping through dense brush, tree limbs, and wood easy work. Includes a Camillus nylon sheath and a full lifetime warranty.

Camillus...Unparalleled, Unprecedented and Unleashed.

Since 1876, Camillus Cutlery has been supplying the world with reliable, innovative and quality made knives that have survived the true test of time. As one of the oldest knife manufacturers, Camillus Cutlery has always answered the call for quality and will continue to do so with our hunting, fishing, sporting and tactical knives.

Craftsmanship with a worldwide following – it's been the Camillus way for over 130 years.

Camillus products are made of Titanium Bonded® cutlery-grade steel and are through-hardened to hold an edge.

Camillus markets this as a machete, but it doesn't quite feel like one. First of all, the blade is thick like a knife. Much, much thicker than my other machete blades.
    Compared to my Fiskars machete:

Secondly, this blade features a mean looking row of knife-type serrations and chisel point on the end of the blade.
    Another neat feature is what Camillus says is a "wire cutter", somewhat akin to a gut hook.
    The handle is Kraton secured to the blade by Torx screws.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The blade features a full tang and sports 12 inches of cutting edge with an overall length of 18 inches.
    It has some pretty good heft to it.

After playing with it for a few minutes, I decided to try some chopping.

All test branches were typical brush sizes, in the 1 to 2 inch neighborhood.

1st strike:

2nd Strike:

Pretty clean edge after it was ll said and done. It took two rather effortless whacks to cut through this limb.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Looks like a stocking stuffer to me!

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, all that weight is going to give it more power....hhmm....looks seriously nice!

The next branch was a little thicker:

1st strike:

3rd strike:

They overall heft of this blade I believe made for easy work of the green wood.

I also tried batoning a little bit (which I failed to get pics of), and it handled that chore like a champ.

What I like about this blade:

I like the thickness.
    The weight is good, which made for easy cutting.
    I like the size. I think it's just about the right size to strap onto a pack. It's size also would make it a pretty decent impact weapon.

What I didn't like:
    The sheath sucks.
    I wish there were more of a hilt to protect my hands.
    The blade material. The blade is 440 steel which I'm not a huge fan of. While it held a decent edge, I don't know how often I will have to sharpen this thing. I have no illusions of ever having it razor sharp, but then again, it is supposedly a machete.

All in all, I think it's a pretty decent buy at +/- $27 bucks.

Definitely worth giving it a look.

I'd also like to thank my two assistants for helping me with the testing:

Disclaimer:
    No donkeys were harmed during the making of this post.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    For a blade test, there sure are a lot of bandaids on your assistants.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    For a blade test, there sure are a lot of bandaids on your assistants.

LOL. Those were covering mosquito bites. We put them on to keep them from scratching themselves raw.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Aahhh.......................

FUnny, though, I hadn;t noticed until you pointed it out.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

lol I was going to post something about it too then I saw a Fixer beat me to it.

Nice review Izzy and I like it!!!
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.