Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An experiment in prepping

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

An experiment in prepping

Completely hypothetical....please don't get your bloomers in a knot.....but....

A friend of mine who has been out of work for the last 2 years...but no moss grows on him....he works about 40 to 50 hrs a week doing "odd jobs".

We were discussing the change in ideology due to the election.....and he jokingly brought the subject up.

What if....now that we as a country have decided that it is a "gimme gimme gimme" time....you took complete advantage of it?

What if you went to any and all govt agencies that would listen, and pleaded poverty?

I'm not saying lie...but gripe about your bills...and how hard it is to make ends meet.

I have a friend that works for the Social Services Office.....and she was told to do whatever it takes to get folks approved for as many benefits as possible.

How much do you think you could stockpile off of a few hundred extra bucks a month?

There are very few food items that are not allowed for purchase on the WIC or "Food Stamp" programs.

If you could bring yourself to go to the state sponsored food banks and take from them....how much would they give?

What do you think would be the take?...rough dollar amount?

For discussions sake....what do you think?
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

A recent figure that I saw puts the monetary equivalent of these benefits (Food stamps, welfare, etc) in the $60k per year ballpark. I dont know for certain which ones were included in the study.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

In his experience the hammer head is better

This has crossedmy mind but morally I cant do it. However from the food pantry we assist at in a neighboring community those people get close to 50-100 dollars worth of food every trip. Thats if your single. If you have a family your pushing close to 150 dollars. As for state aid the girlfriend qualifies, as she has no job due to full time going for her doctorates. We could probably get $500 a month out of her if she got on food stamps, and monetary assistance and what not.

My sister was on assistance when her fiancee left her after she had a baby. Being a single mother living on her own she got $400 in food, plus $150 in baby care items, $500 in rent assistance and $250 in spending cash. She got this everymonth on top of his child support and her part time bartending job. Luckily now she is off the assistance.

We discussed it but morally neither of us can do it. Hell her dad, my father, and myself tried to convince her to sue me for the shooting. In Michigan we can have a friendly plantiff suit and she could get between 50 and 75k for injury, mental anquish ect. I pay for homeowners insurance for a reason, and Id be looking at 100/year increase in premiums. We could pay off our bills with that money but she refuses to do it. I applaud her for doing that, she is a moral rock. I think the money would be nice though
    Last edited by apssbc; 11-08-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I can say this. I am about sick and tired of paying what I do in taxes so others can sit on their ass. I plan to pay everything off that I have, and then only work for cash. When I do this, I will stick it to the government as hard as I can, the way I look at it, it is my damn money and I want it back. If someone is going to take it, it just as soon be me.

I can't say that it's not tempting. But, I just couldn't do that. I mean, besides the fact that our income no doubt too high, I just couldn't. I am way too self-righteous, lol. How could I shake my finger at all those ne'er do wells if I was doing the same thing?

Claptrap's Problem Solver

It is never a good idea to invite the man into your life.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    [/thread]
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I wouldn't think of really doing it....but if you were one of 100,000,000......you might be a bit hard to single out.

I wonder how long it would be before...if ever....you were found out.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    I wouldn't think of really doing it....but if you were one of 100,000,000......you might be a bit hard to single out.

I wonder how long it would be before...if ever....you were found out.
    Provided you were eligible, your not doing anything wrong... if anything your at least reclaiming your tax dollars...

Not sure I could do it myself unless i actually really needed it...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Provided you were eligible, your not doing anything wrong... if anything your at least reclaiming your tax dollars...

Not sure I could do it myself unless i actually really needed it...
    Look at half the folks on it.....they don't really need it either.....they can work.

Like I said....my buddy hasn't worked in 21 months....and he hasn't needed it.