Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Dont worry about shitting yourself

Batteries

Anybody putting up batteries?
    Not car batteries, but the ones we use in everyday items, like AAs, AAAs, CR123s, etc.
    Of course, if it were to really go bad, and factory production were to grind to a halt, it could be years before things like batteries were to be made again. Therefore, you could never really store enough to last forever.
    However, it would be nice to have lights, night vision (if you have it), and optics running during the "readjusting phase" to defend yourself while the "takers" are roaming around killing and pillaging. Once it all settles down and people get back to getting along and living, the "takers" will be much fewer and farther between.
    At night, the headlamp is just so handy, but it needs batteries.
    Also, lights and maybe toys keeps the kids settled that much longer while you get them more adapted to life without the electronic toys. They can be weaned off them, instead of quitting them cold turkey.
    So I don't see batteries and the things that use them as being a "forever dependency" thing.

I'm pretty sure most here have some put away for short term times like hurricanes and such, just wondering if anybody puts any away for longer term.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Um....I'm gonna say yeah.........a couple here and there.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Yea...we tend to pick up a pack of AA and AAA's whenever we can to keep our supply high.

I need to bump up the supplies of CR123s and the round ones that fit my Aimpoints, however. Just have a few of them laying around.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

I've been layin in AA and AAA for a while. I have a few cr123s but dont have a big need for them right now. One other type I have are the flat pack 4 & 7 amp 12volt batteries. They will run a ht radio or light for a good while and would be easy to charge with a solar panel. Batteries would fit in you back pocket.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I buy CR 123s in bulk, and because I have a 2 1/2 y/o we have AAA and AA piled high. W have a pretty good rotation schedule on them too, I've only had 1 pack of AAs get to the bottom of the box, and come out of the package dead. Using a flashlight all day every day requires me to have lots of batteries around. I generally keep 50 or so CR123s in stock, I go through about 6 per month, and about 9 AAAs per month, but... If a flashlight were my only light source, that would go up exponentially, so I don't have enough for that.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

Yes, I have rechargeables in AA, AAA, and 123 (note the 123 are not high output, and are suitable for optics and such but not fliashlights)

I keep lithium cells in long term storage in the sames sizes.

Beyond that I have quite a number of regular alkaline in various sizes and always keep a good supply, I would probably barter those away and keep the rechargeable and lithium cells for myself. I am phasing out my alkaline cells in favor of the low self discharge NiMH re-chargeables. I am working my way up to three sets for everything I need to keep powered in an emergency situation.

I know there are alternatives, but flashlights and nightvision beat the hell out of candles and torches if you need to defend a place.

To that end I am having a solar system installed early next year (I have a small off grid system now) that can run pretty much everything but the central air and electric stove. I really want to get a generator to make sure I don't tax the batteries too much, but that may have to wait, since the grid performs that function in a grid up, its not a huge priority.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Yeah, they'd probably make good barter items also.

You'd have to have a way to charge the rechargeables, but it sounds like you/you're getting that covered.

Couldn't barter rechargeables though, unless you can also barter a way to charge them.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    yep. doing the NiMH batteries. used them in my RC's and they do very well. as far as charging goes, i have a system the works good.

Bacon Spam

Lowes, just had the Utilitech (their brand ) of AA batteries 30 pack for $ 4 for Black Friday thru cyber Monday, I got 2 packs, we use them at work in game cameras which are used for low tech surveillance cameras till we get a budget next year ....almost everything I have read about IR game cameras is that they are high drain devices, I have had several sets of 8 batteries going for about a month at a time, we are talking about 2000 30 second videos, plus running the IR stuff at night.....I can't produce any scientific comparison, but I'd say they last as long as copertops which sell for quadruple for a name brand ....YMMV

For the Love of Cats

anyone hear about the new Duracell batteries?
    10 year shelf life guarantee

http://www.duracell.ca/en-CA/product...batteries.jspx
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.