Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Reviews

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Gear Reviews

At the suggestion of a member (thanks Lunchbox) we're starting a gear review thread.

Here's the details....

1) You must have actually used the gear at some point in a real world setting. Just getting some gear out of a new package, or walking around your basement with a backpack doesn't count. If you link to a review that's just describing what the item looks like just out of the package, or is a rehash of the product website, it will likely get deleted.

And for the love of all things holy, please don't type the words "great fit and finish".

2) Review your gear in it's own standalone thread, not in this one. Don't put your review here. Rather, create a new thread for the review and link to it from here.

For example: Wilex X SG1 Tactical Goggles Review

If your review is buried in a post about several items (for example Mitunnelrat's FTX synopsis) just link to the post in question.

Eventually we'll have a nice list of products here that have real-world usage and the good, bad and ugly on them.

3) Be constructive as possible in your reviews If the item stunk don't shy away from it, but explain to us why is stunk.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

ESS Goggles - Protective Goggles - Ballistic Goggles - Eye Protection

I have used these goggles numerous times under different conditions...I used them on the Hatfield/Mccoy trail for a week in the mud/dust/water, they took several impact hits with who knows what and never shut off or failed to clean up. I also have used them playing airsoft and have takem a few 400 fps+ shots straight to the lenses without cracking or scratching. I recommend these goggles and if I had to say something negative it would be that once the battery runs out your going to sweat just like any other pair of goggles.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Deluth Trading, Fire Hose Pants Review...

Men's Work Pants - Fire Hose Work Pants - Duluth Trading Company

The shipment was quick, money back warranty included. The pants were softer than I thought they would be (good start)-the 4 normal pockets and 2 cargo ones on the thigh were deep and large, secured by velcro. I wore them outside for about 4 hours and they were comfortable enough being new (will loosen up with wear)-they were a little heavy (good material) similar to Carhardts but not as bad.

Overall I would recommend these pants as a good work pant (although maybe not for survival/combat)

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I love these pants also. I have 2 pair, purchased last fall. They are a bit warm in the summer, but make good winter pants. For summer, I also have 2 pair of the firehose/coolmax pants, and these work good as well. I also have 2 of the coolmax longsleeve shirts, and they are awesome. They will dry almost as fast as you sweat them wet.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    CAMP-154 - Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter Endurance 10" Tall 20 ounces

I've had this filter for about 2-3yrs now, and it has proven to be an excellent item. It comes with the filter unit, an intake hose with weighted end that has a large particle prefilter, an exit hose so as to fill bottles or canteens, a cordura zippered carry case, a cleaning kit, and of course instructions.
    Everything fits easily into the case, so you don't have loose parts floating around your pack to get lost. The hoses just push onto the filter untis fittings by hand, and remove the same. They are of a silicone type rubber, and proved very pliable, even with temps down into the 20s and high teens. The prefilter is for large particles, so if using for a cloudy or semi-muddy water, a piece of cloth or similar should be put over it to act as a more efficient prefilter.
    The pump self primes with maybe half a dozen strokes easily, without special precautions. While the literature claims 1 qt. per minute, the pumping action has a fair amount of resistance due to the fine nature of the filter ceramic, and 1 qt. per 2 minutes is more reasonable, unless you are willing to work harder at it. This still isn't an issue, unless you fancy filling your canteen under fire.
    I have used it on several occaisions, getting my water from clear mountain streams, and the filtered water was clear and had no strange taste or odors.
    It is expensive, however clean drinking water is highest on the list of immediate and constant needs for life. It is an investment in health.

^^^This one is very similar to the one I use, its the Katadyn Hiker Pro and can not say enough good things about it. I would recommend any Katadyn filter.

Coleman green 1 lb fuel canister.....Me and Kodiak are outside (0100 am) and grilling t-bones. Once we got done, I let the grill (a little Weber table top grill) cool off. We went back out to put it away and the fuel canister had frozen from sweating which is no big deal. The problem is that when I took it off the grill it had frozen in the open position. The fuel just kept discharging....canister trashed. Just a heads up.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.