Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Emergency Loadout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Next is the stuff that gets broken out if it ever gets bad enough and we have some Katrina-like meltdown.

Chest Rig/ Armor carrier

Blackhawk Chest rig with front and back panels. Level IV SAPI plates front and back;

5 pistol mags
    8 AR mags/ 1 in the gun (9 total)
    1 mag for the .22 conversion
    surefire G2 light
    Petzel Tactikka headlamp
    Leatherman Multi-tool
    Chem Lights
    Rite in the rain notepad, pencil
    surefire batteries
    maps of my area

Finally, we get to the belt mounted hardware.

My advanced trauma kit. Lot's of field dressings; lots of gauze, gloves, light, more quik-clot and celox, chest seals, tape, chest decompression needles, elastic tourniquet, phenagren, epi-pens, and lot's more advanced goodies.

Kimber desert Warrior and CUDA CQB-1. These get paired with the 10.5 inch SBR I keep with me everywhere.

Like I said, it's a work in progress, but it's at least functionable right now. I don't think I'll ever have to use the armor and and the really hardcore turn-out gear, but I've been wrong before..........

Claptrap's Problem Solver

As much as I rail against those who think SHTF is solely defined as Mad-Max zombie mania, that doesn't mean I don't maintain a "fighting load-out". Over the next few posts I hope to detail what I maintain.

------------

BCM03 Harness

My overall guiding principle for this setup is light, easy to don and basic. I figure if a Katrinia situation unfolds I want to be able to suit up quickly and respond NOW. Further, being that it will be hotter than balls I don't want to burn too many calories carrying around unneeded crap. The BCM03 harness incorporates a hydration bladder into an highly functional, easy to adjust harness.

So from right to left:
    2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56x45
    2 Glock 23 mags .40s&w
    2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56 x 45
    1 TQ in a Blue Force Gear TQ Now!
    Med Shears

That's it. Like I said, this is a lightweight and simple rig.

ATS Warbelt

A little more involved but again the focus was light-weight, simple and focused on one thing.....killing or fixing wounds. The belt is a blackhawk webbelt with an ATS Tactical belt cover thingy.

From right to left

Maxpedition Rollypolly Dump Pouch: This is slated for replacement as I've read review after review that says they suck for mags.
    Safariland ALS holster for Glock 23w/light
    Tactical Tailor Grenade pouch: Currently empty but will be hiding spot for white smoke grenades (I keep those under lock and key)
    Double mag pouch: Two Glock 22, 15 round .40s&w mags
    Marz Combat Medic Pouch: This serves as my IFAK and it provides shingles for 3 additional 30rnd PMAGs

The Marz (info found HERE) is pricy at $85 and is very large for an IFAK but I got it specifically because it combined the function of the mag shingles and med kit. I had been using a Maxpedition FR-1 with a standard 3 slot shingle and the footprint was massive. If I went prone it felt like I was laying on a beachball.

So the Marz keeps the overall bulk of the kit down despite it being larger than a standard IFAK. The thing is very well built and looks like it could survive a missile attack.

Evaluation:

So far my evaluations have consisted of draw and fire (dry) in my office so it's only about 5% of the overall picture. That said, it quickly became apparent that my original set up (much different than above) wouldn't work. Everything interfered with everything else and even only being in my office the damn thing was uncomfortable. So with some trial and error I came up with this combination.

From the static anyway, draws are unimpeded and I can bend over/flex/twist without stuff poking me in the ribs.

I am slated to take a carbine class in July so I'll be able to put this setup through the paces for 3 straight days. Needless to say, I'm sure I'll find out many flaws and required changes based on that.

And the brown lump in the extreme left is my dog's butt. She is 13 and looked at me as if to say, "Get bent, I'm old" when I tried to get her to move.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Don't really know what to call this bag. It really isn't a bug out bag, it's more of a "fighting bag". Not trying to be cute but this guy isn't necessarily meant for long term sustenance. It's more for I need stuff to keep me in a protracted fight sorta thing.

That's probably slicing it too fine but there's where I am right now.

Stay tuned because I am planning a total overhaul of our real BOB's. I need to revamp those more for hurricane evacuation/toss in the back of the car and live in a hotel for a week sort of scenarios. More on this in a (soon to be) different thread.

So anyway....here she blows....

Clearly built on a.....wait for it......Maxpedition Condor II backback. Shock of all shocks I know.

I'll deal with the external stuff first and then break down the contents of each compartment later on once I do the total overhaul.

Clearly obvious is the Tactical Tailor First Responder Bag on the front. I've set this up as a "squad level resupply" with all sorts of bandages, kerlix, gunshot kits, etc. Not really sure what squad it's intended for, but this is meant to resupply my the "corpsmen bag" (read more about it HERE) as items are used up. While the FRB is basically a warehouse for my corpsmen bag, it can be used as a first aid kit. I've set it up so it's organized, not just supplied dumped in a bag. For example, there is a zippered pouch underneath the shears. In it is one of my gunshot kits.

Here's a better shot of the FRB:

Here are pics of both sides of the bag:

In them you can see the pouch for a radio, a generic ACU pouch which contains AR15 mags and 2 Glock 22 mags, smoke grenade pouch, and old style canteen.

Here's a picture of underneath:

I've got a nylon/blanket/ground cloth thing that would at least provide some protection should I have to sleep outside, or it just plain gets cold.

So that's the outside.

I'll work on the inside once I do the major overhaul of our true BOB's as I have a feeling that will spill over to this bag.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Crotch Rocket

I've finally got enough of a setup to put it up. I'm not 100% satisfied, but its a huge improvement over what I had.

My "1st line" is an ATS war belt with ATS war belt inner belt, and HSGI suspenders. My 2nd line is an SDS FLC.

The war belt isn't really a true 1st line because I set it up more as a self contained survival kit. Starting from the left and working around I have 3x pistol mags, and a TT roll-up dump pouch. Behind that I have a USGI one-quart canteen pouch with a nesting system of natick stove, cup, and canteen. This pouch also has little flap pockets on each side. In these I have 12x water purification tablets, an MFS, a bic, and a trioxane tablet.

I have a horizontal gp pouch on my 6 as a buttpack. In it I have a maglite solitaire (wrapped with both 100mph tape and brass wire), a phoenix IR beacon, a whistle, signal mirror, lensatic compass, and county road map. Its also got 4x MRE snacks, a knife sharpener, folding trowel, a mylar blanket, MRE napkins/ wet wipes, and 550 cord.

Moving around to my right hip is my my Maxpedition FR-1 on a tear-away panel. In it I have a SAM splint; izzy dressing; C-A-T; 3 ea. 4x4 guaze pads; medical tape; RX pill container; quikclot gauze; triangular bandage; H and H compressed gauze; Folding scissors; metal tweezers; 4x tongue depressors; exam gloves; 5"x9" trauma pad; 200 mg Motrin; antihistamine blister pack; anti-diarrheal blister pack; orajel; chapstick; triple antibiotic ointment; assorted bandaids; electrolyte drink mix; ammonia inhalant; and a surgeons mask. I need to get a decomp needle, chest seal, and a set of trauma shears for this kit.

Finishing out the belt, on the right side, is my Morris MAK 10.5 fixed blade, Safariland 6004 drop leg holster, SDS double mag pouch, and a Maxpedition phone holster. Total weight (with side arm holstered) = 20 pounds.

Moving to 2nd line is the FLC.

It has three SDS double mag pouches for 30 round AR mags going from left to right. The pouch on the far right is an HSGI bleeder pouch. The small pouch attached to that is an narescue C-A-T pouch. The bleeder pouch is set up as a blow out kit, with the following:
    C-A-T and skin marker in the C-A-T pouch. Trauma shears in the exterior sleeve pocket. Inside the pouch is an izzy dressing, NPA, quikclot powder, plastic sheeting, 100 mph tape, H and H compressed gauze, exam gloves, and a surgeon's mask. I'm eventually going to add a decomp needle and an asherman chest seal (to replace the plastic sheeting). On the back is a Camelbak hydration carrier for a 3 liter bladder. Total weight, 10-16 pounds depending on whether water is loaded or not.

3rd line is an SDS assault pack.

Inside the main bag is my USGI bivy and its green bag. Underneath that is my CRKT Falcon; a larger knife sharpener; a VZ-17 panel; a USGI mess kit holding a sea to summit spork, stove burner, oatmeal packets, vitamins, coffee, and some MRE accessories. Also inside the main pack is my fuel canister for my stove, my hygiene kit, and a small bag of zipties, 100 mph tape, and 550 cord. Winter configuration also has a Gerber back paxe.

The front pocket of the pack will hold my food (I need to restock it). It also has a nalgene nested in a canteen cup, more 550 cord, some tent pegs, a MI state road map, and a weapons cleaning kit.

Moving to the outside: The top is my coleman Max self-inflating mat. It has my 6' x 8' tarp rolled in with it. Below where that sits, attached to PALS webbing is a Mosin ammo pouch. It holds my pocket chainsaw, a mylar blanket, a bag of PJ coated cotton balls, a bic, an MFS, and some NATO matches. Winter configuration shows an NBC bag clipped to top and bottom via fastex buckles. It holds the black bag to the MSS. Also part of my winter load is the two 2-quart canteens on the sides. In summer I'll remove those and the black bag. My Camelbak Ambush will replace them on the front of the bag. I don't have the Camelbak included for winter due to the number of reviews I've read where they've frozen solid.

Above the canteens I have my Katadyn Hiker, my leather work gloves (left side), and my ENO slap straps are on the right. (I'll be using them to put the tarp up.) On the sides of the front pocket I have a chem light in a protective holder, and two SDS grenade pouches. The grenade pouches (one on each side) each hold 60 rounds of 5.56. On one of the straps I have a combination whistle with a compass, thermometer, and fresnel lens all in one. Attached to the bottom of the pack is an SDS waistpack. I have a set of polypro thermals, a balaclava, wool glove inserts, and wool socks in that. In the summer months I can replace those items with my Eureka Solitaire. Total pack weight, sans food - and packed for winter- is 45 pounds.

My loaded AR weighs 7.5 pounds.

The weights above all came from my hanging fish scale, and give me a combined total of 82.5 pounds. Sorry about the poor pic quality. My blackberry just wasn't cooperating today.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 09-08-2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added pics
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I love the flask!

Quote Originally Posted by swank View Post
    u guys try RUNNING with all that, on snow, in mud, wet leaves, on hillsides? :-) It takes an Olympian to do this common combat need with 50 lbs, and you 'think" you can go it with 70-80 lbs, right? :-)
    I'll play. I've done it before. Most of my adult life has been spent behind a rifle carrying this exact load out. Yeah, I think I can handle it there, mountaingoat.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I'm with you...my hiking gear runs me 50-60 lbs. Granted that first few days for someone not used to it will want to sit down and stop. Of course, if you've been in the military you know that your body will adapt in time. (if mine can, yours can)
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

my run gear
    (sorry, but can't figger out how ta put pics in post)

FN Sporter, Eotech, 4x flip, 35rd mag
    Shoulder holster w/ 1911, 3 mags (2-8, 1-25)

tacvest, web belt, butt pack, pouches & pockets
    3-35rd mags 556, 2-2l hyd bladders, bowie, Cane knife, bayonet,
    drawstring cotton gathering bag (ta collect dinner)
    30 day vitimans, zantac, imodium AD, midol, clear trashbag,
    wool socks, hiker-pro, poncho, 100ft paracord, survival blanket (2),
    steripen, wpn clng kit, notepad, pen, hobotool,
    spare glasses, contacts, eyeglasses repair, eye drops
    AA LED, AAA mini, AAA headlamp, AA-6, AAA-12, 2-123, compass (2),
    pocket knife, leatherman, gloves, 2 - canteen cup
    first aid kit
    2-sutures,iodine, 4x4 & 2x2 pads, tape, antibiotic cream, antifungal cream,
    triangular bandage, eye patch, knuckle band, clotures, ace band, gauze roll, superglue,
    steel mirror, hemostats, newskin
    fishin/sewin kit
    assorted hooks,sinkers, 20yd-12lb test line, 20yd-30lb test line, sewing needles,
    15yd sewing thread, lg sewin needles, whetstone, assorted saftey pins, paper clips,
    yo-yo, DEET 2oz.
    Fire kit
    match bottle, 2-wetfire, small magifying glass, magnesium block, fire steel,

Backpack:
    3 1/2 qt pot W/ hobo Stove, matches, firesteel, spice bag, washcloth, file,
    zplk w/ 4 0z. Coffee, Steep cloth,
    (4) zplk w/ Oatmeal, honey (2880c ea)
    zplk w/ 4 0z bar antibact soap, w/prf bag, rag, wool socks, foot pwdr,
    zplk w/ bic, washrag, 2-razor, comb,
    zplk w/ t.p.
    zplk w/ footsoap, wool socks, 7oz foot powder,
    zplk w/ longjohns
    poncho, 100' paracord, wool blanket, spare waterfilter element,
    Last edited by mongoose; 10-20-2011 at 01:03 PM.

I'll most likely shit myself

Welcome in Mongoose. Glad to have you here.