Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Emergency Loadout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

For what it's worth, this month's issue of RECOIL has a great piece on building a quality BOB on a budget.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Do you have a robot?
    First time that I have heard of Recoil magazine. Thanks it looks interesting.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Took everything off my ATS Warbelt, and started over. BOK is staying in my versipack, so this is basically just a first line setup at this point. L to R. Wilco2A double magazine pouch (made by me) condor single mag pouch I've stuck with this one because it fits an AK or AR mag perfectly, and although I'd like a BFG pouch to lay flat when not in use, I wanted the acreage of MOLLE for the light you see attached which is a lightstick brand LS2N1 250 lumen light, dump pouch, at 6 o'clock, and Blackhawk dropleg holster raised up to outer thigh, just below the belt. Not shown: Wilco2A single mag pouch, and Wilco 2A multitool pouch. They're doing GHB duty, so I'll be duplicating them with new ones. I haven't really decided on a good knife for this setup, or my plate carrier, but I think to keep it light, I may go with a TDI and make a MOLLE sheath.

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/a...ffb412f926.jpg
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Crotch Rocket

Gear whores unite! Who made new revisions to their gear?

(I know somebody must have! Show us!)
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Gear whores unite! Who made new revisions to their gear?

(I know somebody must have! Show us!)
    Mine is pretty much the same still, but... I've gotten rid of the Blackhawk thigh rig for the 92 for now, and went ahead and mounted my kydex holster on the war belt. I need to make an OD holster for it, but my standard 1.75" kydex belt loops work perfectly on PALS webbing with no spaces between the webs, which was a nice surprise for sure.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Crotch Rocket

Your Emergency Loadout

That would be a nice surprise. I love when things come together well.

That's actually what's spurring my own revisions. I'm back to a larger pack, which (of course) doesn't work well with a belt kit. So, I more or less went back to square one.

I'm working on a 9 layer EDC loadout, which includes vehicle items, and a small BOB that will fit in and comprise most of the larger pack. These are two of my last three layers, in order of priority.

Technically, the first 5 layers are all part of those I wear, but I classified them as: worn items, (eventually) 5.11 vest items (yes, a "shoot me first" vest, I need something motorcycle friendly, and this works), Pants pockets, Wallet items, and belt mounted items.

Layer 6 is my Maxpedition Versipack. Like the vest will be its more of a supplemental kit, and an option I won't always carry, but will have available, especially days I'm riding and the full BOB isn't feasible. I don't ride far so it'll be enough to get me home when used in conjunction with my worn EDC.

Lastly, I'm working out what I want for a trunk gun, so the final layer will be a drop leg kit supporting it.

The vest is an entire, independent kit. Likewise the vehicle, thigh rig, and BOB. The worn items form a complete system between them, with my wallet being the primary "survival" kit. Its too small for a mylar blanket and emergency poncho, so I wear cargo pants for that

For the contents I expanded and used John D McCann's system from "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" to establish categories, and selected appropriately sized items for each layer. The categories I've filled are:

Physical Security; Medical, Trauma; Shelter & Protection; Fire & Light; Water; Medical; Illness; Sanitation & Hygiene; Food; Navigation; Knives & Tools; Communication; Morale, Welfare, and Recreation; Multi-Purpose Items; and Miscellaneous Items. The order is specific too, as it falls in line with the Rule of 3's.

Finally, while I don't classify it as EDC per se, I have a list of equipment I have/ want for my daily driver that focuses on the tools, parts, supplies, and equipment it needs to keep it running and secure my gear from theft. I still need to do the same on a smaller scale for my bike.

Let's just say its a work in progress, but I'll have it eventually, and its only Stage 1.

Stage 2 of the emergency loadout is filling the large BOB from the same categories. Most of the work will be done with the small BOB from above, so I don't think this will take much.

Stage 3 gets into INCH proportions, which includes a dedicated, motorized BOV, but will have an emphasis on non-motorized travel. I'm still thinking on this too.

Stage 4 will be caching, but that's getting beyond the scope of load outs and more into the realm of strategic planning, imo.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 04-15-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

On-going and increasing health issue have forced me to come to the realization that any significant "escape on foot" considerations are now completely out of the question. While that is problematic on one level it does simplify things on another level. I've passed the AR15 and all its goodies on to my daughter while I moved up to an M1 Garand. That got the mag pouches off the belt-line and instead moved me to an Olangapo Grab & Go pouch. No more heavy sleeping bag, instead just a poncho and poncho liner for the BOB. More quick energy snack-type items as opposed to balanced full meals, water pouches ILO a water purifier, and so on. Still have plenty of the bigger and heavier things, just don't even consider them in terms of "I have to hump this stuff myself."

I saw a cool idea on a YouTube vid the other day... Thehossusmc did a bob video, with a large, top loading pack, I think it may have been a cfp90? While his bag isn't done the way I would do it, he had one ingenious addition to it that I never would've considered. A TRASH CAN! Not a large one, but the Rubbermaid kind that you might put under an office desk. It gave the internal main compartment a semi rigid shape, and doubles as a bulk water gathering container. I may try this with a cut down trash can, or even a Tupperware type container for one of my bags. If it were done right, it might even provide an easy way to empty a bag's main compartment in a self contained manor for sorting equipment, or making camp etc.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    I saw a cool idea on a YouTube vid the other day... Thehossusmc did a bob video, with a large, top loading pack, I think it may have been a cfp90? While his bag isn't done the way I would do it, he had one ingenious addition to it that I never would've considered. A TRASH CAN! Not a large one, but the Rubbermaid kind that you might put under an office desk. It gave the internal main compartment a semi rigid shape, and doubles as a bulk water gathering container. I may try this with a cut down trash can, or even a Tupperware type container for one of my bags. If it were done right, it might even provide an easy way to empty a bag's main compartment in a self contained manor for sorting equipment, or making camp etc.
    This idea is rather awesome.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Made some changes to my plate carrier. A plate carrier is part of a "an emergency loadout" albeit for very specific scenarios.

First, I replaced the standard hydration carrier with a TAG Combat Sustainment Pack. I saw a guy at the Charlotte Airport wearing one of these and I'm such a gear dork I ran over to him to ask what it was. When I found out it could be direct molly attached I figured it would be a good addition to the plate carrier.

The most logical use for me to use a plate carrier would be either a rifle class that requires them or doing post-hurricane neighborhood watch. For both missions having a combo hydration carrier with additional storage seems like a good idea to me. Toss clean socks, some nourishment or extra trauma gear in there and you can be near self-sufficent.

There is a pass-through for the hydration carrier and I'll fiddle with routing that later when I have more time.

TAG Combat Sustainment Pack
    The Combat Sustainment Pack is a small lightweight pack that can be used for missions when you are patrolling into a target area hitting a target and then leaving. Used to compliment small chest rig load outs when more ammunition, water and medical gear may be needed. This allows the operator to go into harms way without changing his standard patrol set up. The CSP is also great when used as a bail out bag while in transit in a vehicle. Can be hung over the back of any seat, and provides quick access to ammunition if fighting from the vehicle as well.

The pack is designed to carry 3 extra 5.56 magazines, one extra pistol magazine, small folding knife or multi-tool. One extra quart of water via canteen, Nalgene bottle or Source Kangaroo pouch. Add ons to your blow out kit like an extra C-A-T Tourniquet, Quick Clot combat gauze, and extra Emergency Trauma Dressings. The middle pouch is for the CCB (combat casualty bag) used to carry a down mans kit while he is being moved, treated and extracted, or if not needed you will have extra room for other kit.

Pack can be MOLLE mounted or carried with the built in (also removable) pack straps. Holds a 100oz hydration bladder too (not included). CCB is included with this pack. Made in America.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout