Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up "The Net"

I'll most likely shit myself

The Rat is running! Glad to see things come together for you. I would consider our contact a definate success. Espically how far away from each other we are. I wasn't sure we would be able to hook up on 2M, so I feel much better about that.

Next up is to get Izzy an antenna for the house and get him in the link too. I think I have a home built J-pole out in the garage that needs to be completed from a group build years ago. I will get in the shed this coming weekend and see if it is still there.

My next task in this regard is to build a HF antenna and get it mounted along with my new dual band antenna. After that it will be to get a 2nd dual band antenna up to run APRS & Winlink on. That's not pressing for right now.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I tried to contact the Rat tonight, but just before I called him for a freq, I forgot I dont have a mic. Im mostly CW. So.... I need to identify the impedance of the radio and find a mic that will match... THEN try to call again..

Whoops... my CRS kicked in good tonight!

80m would be good from SWVA to TN, so would 40m but 20 will probably skip right over ya... We will try 40 when I get a mic at the home QTH.

:-)

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Bacon saver

Welll.............I'm up and running on HF! I've rearranged my antenna 3 times now.......horizontal, inverted-V, then boomed it out away from the tower. Still some touch ups in securing the coax cable but for the most part it's done. Talked to Texas on 20 meter and another "group" on 40 meter. All said "loud and clear" so I'm happy as hell right now.

Now I don't see much activity (participation) as far as anyone wanting to get this thing going so let me try and put this another way.
    I don't want to post call signs and frequencies on the site. PMs and phone contacts. Then we can schedule a comm check and take it from there. So either some folks are worried about security issues or we don't have that many radios out there. Anyone want to tell me which one it is?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    I tried to contact the Rat tonight, but just before I called him for a freq, I forgot I dont have a mic. Im mostly CW. So.... I need to identify the impedance of the radio and find a mic that will match... THEN try to call again..

Whoops... my CRS kicked in good tonight!

80m would be good from SWVA to TN, so would 40m but 20 will probably skip right over ya... We will try 40 when I get a mic at the home QTH.

:-)

EB
    I just hope I can work my brain that fast (CW) lookin forward to it EB!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Walking on Sunshine

Stormy I got a signal fire, how are you on smoke signals. I hasve the ham radio on my wish list, I'm hoping I can get Pop's call letters but that is a bit down the road right now.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    Welll.............I'm up and running on HF! I've rearranged my antenna 3 times now.......horizontal, inverted-V, then boomed it out away from the tower. Still some touch ups in securing the coax cable but for the most part it's done. Talked to Texas on 20 meter and another "group" on 40 meter. All said "loud and clear" so I'm happy as hell right now.

Now I don't see much activity (participation) as far as anyone wanting to get this thing going so let me try and put this another way.
    I don't want to post call signs and frequencies on the site. PMs and phone contacts. Then we can schedule a comm check and take it from there. So either some folks are worried about security issues or we don't have that many radios out there. Anyone want to tell me which one it is?

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope I can work my brain that fast (CW) lookin forward to it EB!
    Im seriously interested, I just havent had the time or money to invest in a setup, definitely interested in getting my ticket, but to be honest, its going to be primarily for SHTF, maybe once a month contacts up til that point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Stormy I got a signal fire, how are you on smoke signals. I hasve the ham radio on my wish list, I'm hoping I can get Pop's call letters but that is a bit down the road right now.
    I wish it was that simple Kat! If that was the case, i would be gtg!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I also plan on getting my license by end of fall/mid winter. I don't know if I will have a base station at that time, but I will try.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    How many on board have their license,ticket, whatever for short wave radio? OK, how many own SW radios within the colony and are willing to set up "The Net" I'm not talking about a little Ham club with coffee and dognuts. I'm talking a network of comms for the colony. No BS, just getting this thing going, how far can we stretch this thing? I think it would be worth our efforts. Especially in times of trouble, or road trips, or if natural disaster.

I'd like to get a head count and location of those willing to participate.

No call signs due to OPSEC as far as I'm concerned. of course all that shit goes out the window when the SHTF.............Thanks
    I am in Stevens County, Washington and have a general class license. I currently work VHF and have HF capabilities, but the rig is not set up properly yet with regard to antenna matching, and the "shack" is a mess right now so needs some organization. I also want to set up PSK31 for digital comm over HF. There are a number of prepper ham networks around. It would be great, I think, if due to our common interests these could be consolidated, maybe not on a permanent basis, but say once a month all the individual prepper nets get together on the same frequency. This would be training for increasing our traffic reach in case of a SHTF emergency.

I'll most likely shit myself

Great first post TC! I like that idea, but after 11 years of running EmComm nets, I can imagine all kinds of problems getting that set up.

Welcome to the net, drag up a long and take a sit around the campfire.

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

What level freq would I need to reach u cats from NE Wi.?

Bacon saver

Well if you're up on HF I would imagine 20, 40 meter would be a good place to start. 17 meter has been quite productive for me here lately. Talked to a guy in his F-350 pick-up on his mobile in Washington state the other day. I'm running a Yaesu FT-857 with a G5RV lite antenna. Sooooooo, tell me what you're running and what you want to try.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.