Thread: Means of protecting wired trailer hitch from water?

Means of protecting wired trailer hitch from water?

Afternoon!

Though I rarely post I'm here almost daily keeping up on some topics...

This summer I installed a hidden hitch on my '99 Rav4 and had the electrical output installed as well. While that all worked well, I am now aware that any emergency water crossings have a new low point on my vehicle where issues can occur.

Through the trial & error of connecting my output to a tent trailer I understand that a short on these connections will likely only blow a few fuses (and I have extras in the vehicle) but in an emergency I don't want to deal with losing use of my vehicle's brake, signal,running & emergency flasher lights.

Some have advised me to simply put a good bag over the connection with rubber bands when I'm not towing anything. Does anyone here have a better idea, or a reliable technique?

As I live on a flood plain, driving through 1.5' of water is a reasonable expectation in my emergency evacuation plan.

Thanks!

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

There is a pretty water tight "boot" cover available for different types of plugs. That and dilectric grease, and I'd think you'll be ok.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

For the Love of Cats

Is it a standard 4 pin flat connector? a good heavy application of electrical grease, or lithium grease, and then plug it into a spare mate plug. It'll protect the pins from stones, dust gravel, and water. need to plug in, simply unplug the spare one, and plug in the trailer.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Best thing is to disconnect it when driving in water. You will never keep the water out, I tried for years with boat trailers and nothing kept it out for any period of time. They will corrode fast if plugged in while wet.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

The unit is a 5-pin circle with a spring powered flap covering the access when not in use.

I'll have to look at it again to see if there is a way to disconnect it; I think it may be a permanent wiring setup.

Thanks for the comments - I'll visit Canadian Tire and see what they have to offer for boots & spare connectors.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I think Helomech means to disconnect the vehicle from the trailer when driving.
    Other than covering the connectors to keep out dirt, I don't know if a way to keep water out more than temporarily. Remember, all of the original wiring gets soaked when you go into water as well, and it runs fine. Boat trailers get soaked every time the boat is launched or picked up, and lasts for some time.
    You might try boating sites for tips.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Ah, I understand now.

I haven't gone to a boating site yet, but I'm getting the impression from above that the wiring isn't instantly vulnerable to shorting out with contact to water then? Makes sense once I think of it that way...there aren't 'marine' wiring outputs & 'dry land' versions.

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. =)

Thanks!

For the Love of Cats

if you did short out once, chances are good it wasn't the plug that was the culprit... but the connectors where the plug is attached to the vehicle. typically 6-12 inches away from the plug. where there'll be a bump in the wires (connectors all taped together). Pull that apart, and you'll probably find your culprit.

I drive a LOT on gravel roads, and stones are wiring's worst enemy.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

You are correct Sniper-T; we blew fuses during the initial wiring of the plug during the 'what lights does this wire relate to?' phase.

I think given this I'm likely fine, but will check a boating forum when I've time.

Thanks!