Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living off the land

I agree lunchbox. I think the easiest way for people to really get the picture of living off the land they need to go walk about in the woods for 3 days or so. Bare minimum equipment and no food with them. If you eat, you gather it or kill it. Need water? Go find it. Most wouldn't make it to that third day.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

I'll most likely shit myself

You are so right Possum. Very few folks in the normal population would have any idea of what to do. I would venture a guess the % is higher in the preparedness community. But likely less than 75% in that group, maybe less than 50%.

Where's the epi?

Yeah, I would die probably especially if it was in the winter. Summer would be easier due to berries and fruit around plus we have lots of springs in the area for water so dehydration wouldn't be such an issue. With dh it wouldn't be so bad but alone I probably wouldn't stand a chance.
    I apologize for nothing...

Do you have a robot?
    Well guess I will just sit at home and get my calorie intake from my Bon Bons............

This was a great article. People just don’t understand how much of a job it is just to stay alive. If they have ever worked a ranch they would know it is not viable to live off the land. It is not easy to raise animals and have a garden to not only survive but to thrive. This is where the community comes in because you cannot know everything, everyone helping out each other, if not because it is the right thing to do, then for their economic gain.

Great original post. I totally agree with Possum's post of 1-03-2014. The post above by realist is something that really makes us civilized people, working together in a community. I doubt very few could simply survive for a year if simply "dropped in" and had to live off the land. I watch the TV series "Naked and Afraid" when I can and it is very telling. You have two people who are supposedly wilderness/survival experts and at the end of the 21 days both contestants have, if they made it for the 21 days, lost considerable weight and are not healthy.

Perhaps I am wrong, but if we suddenly had to all live off the land...well...the population would take a very serious decline.

Do you have a robot?
    Socal I would expect it to be greater in the south were you are because of the water issue. This was true even before the drought. Can you imagine if the water stopped flowing from the Colorado and the Delta, it would be ugly......
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.