Wow. financially, I feel sorry for you guys. I certainly wouldn't want to pay that kind of coin! But allow me to put US vs. Canada health care into perspective on a non-financial point.

My brother's son (living in the US as dual citizens, and with healthcare) buggered his knee skiing. Ambulance to hospital, xrays, ultrasound, MRI, casted, spent the night, and released.
all costs picked up by insurance, premium paid.

Me, in Canada, buggered my shoulder at work. drove to hospital, waited for 7 hours, saw doctor, waited for 4 hours, got x ray, waited for 4 hours saw doctor. sent home. (Ultra sound ordered)
5 weeks later (while I've been off work on 55% compensation, I go in for an ultrasound, go home.

3 weeks later, go see the doctor. ultrasound was inconclusive, MRI ordered, sent home.

4-1/2 Months later, MRI. .. go home

2 weeks later, see doctor. torn this, torn that, referal to surgeon, go home

6-1/2 months later see surgeon. Yep need surgery, go home
3-1/2 months later, go in for surgery, go home
2 weeks later see surgeon, start physio.

In total I was off work collecting 55% for 19 months before I was cleared to go back to work on light duties.

Your care may be expensive, but I woul gladly have paid it to be fixed in a reasonable time.
perspective, not counting the overtime that I regularly worked, I was out of pocket over 40K. You seriously don't want to know how much it would have been including OT

So no, our health care may be free (it's part of the taxes that we pay), but the standard of care certainly isn't the same. If I could have gotten my doctor to refer me, I would have happily drove down to the Mayo clinic and paid to get it fixed.