Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Propane camper furnace issues...

For the Love of Cats

that sounds about right Daca, I'll through a torch into my truck too.

I took a couple pics, but can't find my adapter card for an uplink.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Will the pilot light?
    If it lights, but wont stay lit?

Im thinking thermocoupler myself too...

GL,
    EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

The hot sexy one

I know this may sound stupid..but you said you turned to pilot and depressed button to light pilot.......After pilot is lit, dont you have to turn the button to on position... I now there are several different ones, I had one years ago which had off, pilot and on settings....But yes thermocoupler is common problem it kills gas even if you manually fire heater, getting gas to pilot usually indicates supply system is good.

For the Love of Cats

the pilot lights easily, and stays lit. the scoop above it seems to deflectthe flame in a clean and orderly manner, but I couldn't see much up that silly little hole to see what is what.

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

The hot sexy one

Make sure you dont have an "on" position for the gas valve. Then check your thermostat batteries or make sure your thermostat is working in camper

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Wish you were closer, Id lend a hand.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

yep sorry I should have said that. it is a 3 position dial
    OFF
    Pilot (with a note) will not heat from this positon)
    On

for the pilot, you have to depress and hold until it lights, and then I assumed it was like the old seville fridge we had at the cabin, continue to hold until it 'clicks' and lights.

My furnace didn't click, but seemed like it lit. release the button, seemed fine, turned to ON. no heat.

For Friday:

I refilled the tanks with fresh propane, the old tanks expired in 84, although I am sure it is not the issue, since they worked fine on the stove.

I packed a level. The camper isn't equiped with it's own, and all I did was eye ball it to start, then used a glass of water on the floor. Just before I left, I borrowed a level from a buddy and checked to see, and it is a couple degrees off to the stern. I'll level it properly this coming weekend.

I packed a butane torch, to try heating as suggested.
    I packed a small nail file/emory board like chicks use to do their nails. It's going to be tough reaching in there with anything but that might be better for cleaning the contacts than an 8x11 sheet of 250 grit.
    I packed some compressed air. a quick blast might dislodge a moth or something from in the chimney.
    I packed a mirror, maybe a different angle of view might let me see in there a little bit better.
    I packed my larger truck tool kit, which should have everything I may need, toolwise.

Is there some kind of thermostat for these things? How do you adjust the heat once it does work, or does it just keep pounding out the heat until you're cooked or you throw open a window?

Directly below the furnace, there is a cabinet door, which when the camper is loaded onto a truck would access the area in front of the wheel well, for a jack, or towstraps or whatever. The door doesn't close properly, so there is a 1/4" gap open to the outside. (probably how the moths got in). So if there was a propane leak, it is being readily vented.

I also hate the smell of raw propane, and can detect it rather well. Before lighting anything, I gave the whole camper a good sniff test, and didn't smell any leaks. And no... spraying water isn't feasible, especially since it doesn't heat up, and anything sprayed would just freeze.

Incidentally, I stayed in it every night anyways, even without the furnace. Most nights it was around -10C so rather comfortable in my sleeping bag. Two nights it dipped down to -23C, and it would have been nice to have.

I would throw a buddy heater and a couple small "camp stove" propane bottles in my rig just in case I couldn't get the furnace working. (Might calm some of the angry looks from a cold wife).
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

For the Love of Cats

this weekend is just another hunting trip for me (sans wife) and I'm not worried about me. lol

But I'm thinking I might like to take her in a month or so, where we'll do a 6-8 hour snowmobile ride out there, spend a day or two, and come back. She... SHE would not be a happy camper if it wasn't working!

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

momma aint happy aint no body happy
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson