Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water the final frontier...

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Well, I hadn't quite thought of it the way the links portray it, but those clearly would work.
    We live right at the top of the "flood zone" limit, and the soil is about 8" of dirt before going to concrete like clay. I've gone 36" down, and still in the clay, so I don't know how deep it is.

My idea was to build a heavy duty wood box next to the downspout, maybe 2'-3' tall, and 3' or so long, by about 2' wide. Then line it with something. It would have a lid that could be closed and locked, and a tap on the side. Of course, the lid could be opened and water scooped out. It would also be easy to clean if necessary.
    I have these gutters, so not much debris: http://www.leafguard.com/

Those tanks are way too big. The city would almost certainly refuse the building permit I would have to have, for no contractor would dig the hole without it. I'm certainly not going to dig such a hole with a shovel. Also, the idea is "gray man". A contractor digging up half my backyard and sticking a huge tank in the hole will not go unnoticed. A couple wooden crate sized boxes, at the back corner of the house, could be explained as yard storage. Inspectors used to just drive around, looking for infractions, too lazy to get out of the car. A couple years ago, that changed. They will come up in your yard and look for things.
    Our city has not (yet), but one local city has banned the collection of rainwater, or so I've been told.

I'm talking 100-300 gallons of water.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Well, I hadn't quite thought of it the way the links portray it, but those clearly would work.
    We live right at the top of the "flood zone" limit, and the soil is about 8" of dirt before going to concrete like clay. I've gone 36" down, and still in the clay, so I don't know how deep it is.

My idea was to build a heavy duty wood box next to the downspout, maybe 2'-3' tall, and 3' or so long, by about 2' wide. Then line it with something. It would have a lid that could be closed and locked, and a tap on the side. Of course, the lid could be opened and water scooped out. It would also be easy to clean if necessary.
    I have these gutters, so not much debris: http://www.leafguard.com/

Those tanks are way too big. The city would almost certainly refuse the building permit I would have to have, for no contractor would dig the hole without it. I'm certainly not going to dig such a hole with a shovel. Also, the idea is "gray man". A contractor digging up half my backyard and sticking a huge tank in the hole will not go unnoticed. A couple wooden crate sized boxes, at the back corner of the house, could be explained as yard storage. Inspectors used to just drive around, looking for infractions, too lazy to get out of the car. A couple years ago, that changed. They will come up in your yard and look for things.
    Our city has not (yet), but one local city has banned the collection of rainwater, or so I've been told.

I'm talking 100-300 gallons of water.
    For the amount of trouble you're looking at lining a box, and plumbing a tap, you may just consider 2 blue barrels with a box around them to shade them and prevent mold growth, and be less obtrusive looking. Like this...

https://www.google.com/search?q=rain...PAV0pD-GF8M%3A
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Well, if I used two barrels, I'd either have to route to both, or connect them, which invites leaks.
    I don't actually have to tap the box, I can just scoop water out.
    Plus, there will be some debris in it, you can't very easily clean the barrels, unless you cut out the whole top. It'll be hard to scoop out also, it'll have to be tapped, or have a pump. Of course, a pump can be used on the box.
    I think it was MI who posted links to tubs. I may find one about the size I need, and just build a box around it.

This plan isn't set in stone, it's just an idea in my head right now. But, I think the lined box is cheaper, since a box around barrels is still a box. The plastic to line it will certainly be cheaper than the barrels. Plus, my expenditure is spread. I can get the wood, build it, get the plastic later, add the crossover later, etc. I'm going to do something, before too long. The brackish natural water is about 1/8 mile away. I want water to last during the initial stage, where travel is suspect.

I'd really like a shallow well.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

For the Love of Cats

I have a collection of 15 gallon barrels around my property, which I use to water my gardens. But being that they are all over hells half acre, means I have to haul water...

Last edited by Sniper-T; 06-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Newbie here and a great site!

I have a question: I live alone on a small plot in the country, I would like to know if there is anyway one could disguise a water caption unit in a flower bed! (it can rain a lot!) I would not want marauders to spot a barrel on my terrace and camp out for a few days to replenish their stocks and also make away with whatever else I may have hidden around my house and garden. Would anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

For the Love of Cats

how about something like a raised bed with water storage underneath

you can make something like this:
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=10

but have a 'floor' in the high back section about 2 feet deep at most, and create a hidden cupboard underneath it.

if you go with something like that, you can access the hollow from the back by removing a couple of boards and not have to disturb the dirt at all.

Think of this as a picture of the back of the previous, so all you see is the tall back one(and scrap the lid):

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=109

If you have doors on the back, then people would know there is something in there, so you could board it up and then remove a few boards to access.
    or you could utilize the space underneath there for storage, but have an extra opening that goes under the middle planter that gets hidded with a sheet of plywood, and is your storage space.

_X_
    | ... |
    | ... |
    | ... |
    |___|_X_
    | ... | ... |
    | ... | ... |
    | ... | ... |
    |___|___|_X_
    | .H | .S | ... |
    | .H | .S | ... |
    | .H | .S | ... |
    |___|___|___|

here, the plants are the x's.
    the dots are the soil
    the H is the hollow part that is open to the family (doors)
    and the S is the secret one, behind a false wall.

You could also increase the storage space by making a larger cupboard in the back...

_X_
    | ... |
    | ... |
    | ... |
    |___|_X_
    | .H | ... |
    | .H | ... |
    | .H | ... |
    |___|___|_X_
    | .H | .S | ... |
    | .H | .S | ... |
    | .H | .S | ... |
    |___|___|___|

AND EVEN EXTEND YOUR SECRET SPOT:

_X_
    | ... |
    | ... |
    |___|
    | .H |_X_
    | .H | ... |
    | .H |___|
    | .H | .S |
    | .H | .S |_X_
    | .H | .S | ... |
    | .H | .S | ... |
    | .H | .S | ... |
    |___|___|___|

Depending on the size of the entire planter, it could be big enough to store rakes and shovels, or small enough for just your barrels
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

You could bury a tank under ground, but would need some kind of solar pump to get it out.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

may be in trouble

If you are catching rainwater ( and, swelp me, I have NO clue why a municipality would ban rainwater capture, except in defense of a local water monopoly or the opening overtures of being Big Brother ) you might look to your roofs. Almost all roofing these days is shingles or tiles. Metal sheath roofs are rare, but would be the best bet for rainwater, especially copper and galvanized. Doubt that there is any lead sheet roofing.

"Water is the real gold." -Hugh Farnham

As always, I may be contacted at oldvegasfox@reagan.com

Crotch Rocket

Follow the money. The answer is there.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Do you have a robot?
    I believe it is either Oregon or Washington that prohibits the collection of rainwater because the state owns all the water.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.