Thread: Making your own fortune with gold and gems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Where's the epi?

BP we have a claim on Cocker Creek. It's off if SR 68. How far is that from you?

AK47...I would love to do gems but I don't know what I'm looking for in the raw. Stones look so different before they are tumbled or cut and I've tried to do internet searches on gem mining but nothing useful comes up.
    I apologize for nothing...

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    BP we have a claim on Cocker Creek. It's off if SR 68. How far is that from you?

AK47...I would love to do gems but I don't know what I'm looking for in the raw. Stones look so different before they are tumbled or cut and I've tried to do internet searches on gem mining but nothing useful comes up.
    Lots of the stuff we got was on tips from old timers. Some of the places we went were private ranches, and more than a few were owned by college geology departments iirc, the Univ of New Mexico gave us permission to mine at several places through our gem and mineral club we attended at the time. Lots of states have day fee areas that you got permission by mail. Idaho had a 1 day per year pass for non-residents to dig garnets for like $7 per person, and you got it at a ranger station. There's probably a book out there somewhere that has all of the better known spots, and how to get access. We went with a guy once who was the retired president of Johnson and Johnson, that guy had all the good spots, we never left empty handed.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I'll most likely shit myself

Thats one of the area's. But I haven't had time to even take a look around or get any info other than some history books.

Sounds like I need to look into claims as well. Didn't know they were available.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Panning for gold is a whole lot like work! But, if you really want to pan I would book a summer vacation to Nome AK.

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlc...d_panning.html

http://akaugold.com/
    That would be cool but it's so far away from home and we have 2 big dogs that we can't leave and have no one to watch them. So we will stay in this area which actually has gold and gems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Thats one of the area's. But I haven't had time to even take a look around or get any info other than some history books.

Sounds like I need to look into claims as well. Didn't know they were available.
    Yup, contact BWRR by pm and he can give you the info. Maybe we can get together this summer and go there, you can go as our guests and we can all check it out.
    I apologize for nothing...