Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making your own fortune with gold and gems

Where's the epi?

We have a book that covers the nation where we can go that comes with our claim. Non members cannot come onto those areas unless accompanied by someone who has the claim. Anyone can go onto public lands but do need to get a permit from the rangers station but I don't think dredging of any kind is allowed and digging on the banks may be restricted. I kind of want to stay away from the public stuff due to crowds.
    I apologize for nothing...

I'll most likely shit myself

Thats one of the area's. But I haven't had time to even take a look around or get any info other than some history books.

Sounds like I need to look into claims as well. Didn't know they were available.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Panning for gold is a whole lot like work! But, if you really want to pan I would book a summer vacation to Nome AK.

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlc...d_panning.html

http://akaugold.com/
    That would be cool but it's so far away from home and we have 2 big dogs that we can't leave and have no one to watch them. So we will stay in this area which actually has gold and gems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Thats one of the area's. But I haven't had time to even take a look around or get any info other than some history books.

Sounds like I need to look into claims as well. Didn't know they were available.
    Yup, contact BWRR by pm and he can give you the info. Maybe we can get together this summer and go there, you can go as our guests and we can all check it out.

Crotch Rocket

Apparently some minerals can be found on the beaches in MI, but they're not really my thing. The gold is way north of me... I've thought about foraging for wild ginseng or metal detecting at old school yards for coins. Those would be my two best bets at the moment.

If you have a corrugated culvert in your claim area you may want to check that. I hear the troughs are good for catching gold.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Sandi's dad is huge into gold mining & panning. Sandi has a really nice bag of dust from the last time she went. She knows all about it, and I actually thought about purchasing a few claims just for S&G's just to have them.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    Sandi's dad is huge into gold mining & panning. Sandi has a really nice bag of dust from the last time she went. She knows all about it, and I actually thought about purchasing a few claims just for S&G's just to have them.
    That is really cool! What state are they panning in?

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Apparently some minerals can be found on the beaches in MI, but they're not really my thing. The gold is way north of me... I've thought about foraging for wild ginseng or metal detecting at old school yards for coins. Those would be my two best bets at the moment.

If you have a corrugated culvert in your claim area you may want to check that. I hear the troughs are good for catching gold.
    Wow finding a stash of wild ginseng would be nice. We have actually been thinking about finding a bol and growing ginseng there.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

A laugh a minute
    Last year I went to one of those buy a bucket thing just because I have never done it and wanted to see what real gems in the rough looked like. Well I got one of there buckets that was mixed with what they dig on there land and what they buy brought in from NC. Anyhoo while the guy was therre helping me, he would say "OH my" every once in a while and pull out gems before I flushed the dirt. Comes to find out I got some that even surprised him and They are big. But my problem is I don't know where to have them appraised at a honest place. So if any of you know of a honest gem appraiser or cutter or what ever you call them let me know please. I have garnets, sapphires, turquoise, moonstone, agates, rubies and a whole lot more. Mostly small but all cutable as he said.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Where's the epi?

Taz e did that years ago when my son was little and he got some of those gems as well. The guy told us to get a tumbler and put them in that and it would knock off all the junk down to the real stone. We got one but haven't done it yet, don't know what to do with them afterwards either. We wouldn't have known the stones were gems if we weren't told since they look so different in raw form.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    Taz e did that years ago when my son was little and he got some of those gems as well. The guy told us to get a tumbler and put them in that and it would knock off all the junk down to the real stone. We got one but haven't done it yet, don't know what to do with them afterwards either. We wouldn't have known the stones were gems if we weren't told since they look so different in raw form.
    Depending on the size and shape, they can be set in a pendant by wrapping with silver wire. Lots of stuff I cut when I was a kid had been wrapped for my wife over the years, I've got quite a few gifts up my sleeve before I run out of material. I've got the tools and the wire to wrap stuff myself, but no time to teach myself.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.