Thread: Generator setup ideas

The hot sexy one

Generator setup ideas

Anyone have links or knowledge on using inverter and generator setup in tandem?

I am wanting to setup solar battery bank with inverter for basic use and when a higher demand load is sensed, want the generator to start and load switches to generator...and also charge inverter batteries while running...

Example , all my lights and clocks , computers and low demand appliances will be running from inverter setup, then when something like my electric stove is turned on, the generator starts supplying my demands until they reduce to inverter level...

I will researching , but if someone already has done it or has the info available if will save me time, thanks.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Electric stove, aye? ya know, thats a LOT of amps, and I kinda doubt you will find an inverter that will handle that. MAYBE one that can handle a microwave, but any kind of heating element load.. like a hot plate, a space heater, toaster, etc are BIG amp drawing devices!

The idea you propose "could" be designed, but I think the following is a better plan:

This system would require some custom electronics, a PIC microcontroller can readily be programmed to manage the system with off the shelf parts, Im sure I could do it... given the time and money (neither of which I have right now...)

The system would be comprised of the following:

*DC Power Source*
    -Battery bank, series/parallel 6V deep cycle (thinking golf cart) or parallel bank of RV/Boat deep cycle batteries

*Primary Charging Devices*
    -Solar
    -Wind
    -Water wheel

*AC Power Source*
    Inverter, rating should be 1.5 times the max calculated wattage desired to be drawn. For example, if you wanted a max of 1,000 watts drawn on your inverter you should be looking at a 1,500 watt inverter unit... Reason being so as to not tax the unit to it's limits on a regular basis which accelerates its rate of death (All electronics, etc.. will only last a given time, pushing something too hard and it dies sooner than if you "baby" it), the second reason to get a larger rating is for devices that use capacitive startup... such as a small chest freezer or kitchen reefer.

*Backup Charging Device*
    This is what tops off the batteries AND provides power for the inverter when the batteries get too low and the primary charging devices have failed to generate charging power (IE: No sun for the solar, no wind for the turbine, etc..) This would be a horizontal shaft 5HP gasoline engine with an electric start, the starter battery should be independent of the battery bank and is charged when the engine is running by way of an isolator. The engine would be belt linked to a GM Delco one wire alternator of standard size (Typical is 65 amps). A one wire alternator is self exciting and generates power once up to proper RPM, for which the engine is governed at.

*Computer Controller*
    With some creative use of off the shelf items, and a custom programmed (by me) PIC microcontroller, the computer controller will monitor battery voltage and start the home brew DC generator when needed. It will also act as a charge controller for the solar and/or wind generator... disconnecting them when no power is made to prevent discharge.

The controller starts, and stops the engine as needed... when the battery voltage drops too low, and shuts off when full charge has been made. It could also be programmed to conduct a 15 or 30 minute exercise once weekly..

It can be designed and built to include an LCD readout for stats on all conditions, menu can be scrolled via a push button switch.

I could do all this, but dont have the time to design and build the system, including custom programming of the microcontroller, nor do I have the money to invest in the development of such a system, *BUT* it is a system that I would *LOVE* to have here at the house.

I could also have it setup to monitor mains power and when it drops cut on an AC line that is emergency lighting... no need to have a seperate system!

I think all in all, about $2,000 would make it happen... Electric start engine, solar panels and battery bank being the most expensive, but a good MSW (at the least) inverter of about 4,000 watts would be expensive too... (*NO*, do *NOT* think of buying one from Harbor Freight... all there electronics and electric devices are pure garbage!)

Thats all I can contribute to the post...

GL & Take Care..
    EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For a serious battery bank, think individual 1.2v cells like these made in the USA: http://www.zappworks.com/battery_prices.htm

A bit pricey to begin with, virtually indestructible and a long life.

Holy shit batman, them batteries are HIGH output... and more expensive than my K5 Blazer with all it's mods!

Ill bookmark that page, just in case I do hit the lottery!

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

The hot sexy one

EB, what you posted is what I am wanting to do...Maybe I did not convey it clearly...The processor for doing the switching is my stumbling block, I really dont want sensivitive electronics...but I am not seeing any other way as of now..

TS, gotcha bro...

Honestly, you have 2 choices:

1) Have a person sit and watch the meters and flip proper switches when needed

or

2) Allow electronics to do it

EMP aint gonna happen, so depending on electronics is not a far stretch for the prepper/survivalist

Shout back if I can be of any more help buddy,
    EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"