Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ebola virus circulating in Guinea is new strain

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Ok. Here you go. He's not positive for the disease yet, but has quarantined himself as a precaution.

http://wtkr.com/2014/08/02/doctor-qu...ts-in-liberia/

(CNN) – A retired American doctor who was working with Ebola patients in West Africa returned to the United States this week – and put himself in quarantine.Dr. Alan Jamison volunteered in the Liberian capital of Monrovia this month as part of an international medical group.
    Jamison, 69, said he’s had no symptoms of the deadly disease, but has been in seclusion since Monday, when he returned to his hometown of Morristown, Tennessee.
    He plans to be in isolation for 21 days, which is the incubation period for the disease or the time between infection and onset of symptoms.
    First Ebola patient on U.S. soil arrives at Atlanta hospital
    “My last encounter with a patient who had Ebola was on July 19,” he said. “I contacted the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on my arrival … and informed them I had been in West Africa and my history.”
    The father of three said his daughter picked him up from the airport and dropped him at home, where he’s quarantined himself and has had no contact with anyone since.
    “I’m feeling normal and doing the typical things a person would do in their home,” he said. ” I have my family who can bring me food if I need anything, and they would not enter the house. They can leave items outside the home.”
    Liberia is one of three nations battling an outbreak of Ebola, which the World Health Organization says is confirmed or suspected to have infected more than 1,300 people, with more than 700 deaths in West Africa in recent weeks.
    So far, the disease has been confined to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea. One man died in quarantine in Nigeria after leaving Liberia.
    Ebola spreads through contact with organs and bodily fluids such as blood, saliva, urine and other secretions of infected people.
    Patients are only contagious when they show symptoms, not during the incubation period, according to the World Health Organization.
    “I was not concerned that I was contagious when I left Africa, and not concerned at this time because I have no symptoms of the disease,” Jamison said.
    The retired pediatrician said he was volunteering with Medical Teams International. CNN contacted the aid group, which said it’s compiling information on his case and will provide details later. However, the group noted on its website that its U.S. volunteer doctor is back home.
    “It was very stressful and emotional to see these things in Liberia,” Jamison said.
    There’s no treatment for Ebola. The most common approach is to support organ functions and keep up bodily fluids such as blood and water long enough for the body to fight off the infection.
    Despite the risks, Jamison said he’d return to West Africa to help combat Ebola.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Here's another one:

http://www.wate.com/story/26176230/f...ssee-officials

BySHELBY MILLER
    6 News Reporter
    KNOXVILLE (WATE) - Fear over the Ebola virus continues to grow, as two American doctors diagnosed with the deadly disease are scheduled to return to the United States to be treated.
    The CDC is now in direct contact with the Tennessee Department of Health, as concerns continue to grow in the U.S. about what's being done to make sure the disease doesn't spread.
    The CDC sent guidelines Thursday to the Tennessee Health Department about what health care providers should be looking for when dealing with patients who have symptoms that could be related to Ebola.
    Related story: Morristown doctor home in quarantine after treating Ebola in Africa
    The CDC recommends health care providers obtain travel exposure history on any patient who has a temperature of 100.4 degrees or warmer. They ask that additional exposure history be collected to determine if patients have had any high-risk exposures, including contact with Ebola patients, healthcare settings, funerals, or consumption of bush meat. .
    Health agencies say they're doing all they can to reduce transmission, but even with those efforts, they're still seeing new cases. The CDC says this is the largest Ebola outbreak they've ever seen.
    "I think everyone is doing what they can to reduce the risk of cases going to other countries or coming to the United States, but it's growing," said Knox County Health Department Director Dr. Martha Buchanan.
    Although the CDC says the risk of contracting Ebola in the U.S. is very low, officials confirm the disease killed an American and sickened two other people who were working in Liberia. They'll fly to the U.S. for treatment.
    Related story: 2 Ebola victims to be treated at Atlanta hospital
    "I'm certain the transportation of those two individuals to the United States will be very, very closely regulated and they'll be taken quickly into isolation," Buchanan said.
    The CDC makes sure travelers heading to America from the affected countries don't have Ebola symptoms. "The first symptom would be fever and then after that they'll develop body aches, vomiting, diarrhea," Buchanan said.
    People who don't have symptoms aren't contagious, and those who are can only transfer the infection through bodily fluids.
    Buchanan says the disease hasn't been reported in the U.S., but if Ebola reaches East Tennessee, their staff is well trained.
    "The folks who might have Ebola would be in contact and droplet isolation and all of our hospitals have the capability of doing that. Their staff know how to do it and they know how to limit access. They deal with contagious diseases on a daily basis, so they're comfortable doing that," Buchanan said.
    The Tennessee Health Department asks people report any suspected Ebola cases immediately by calling (615) 741-7247.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

The idiot exposed everyone on the plane, and his own daughter. He should be locked up.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I'll most likely shit myself

He should have been quarrentined in Africa before he got on the plane. As should everyone coming back here.

Latest intel dump:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/york-ci...ry?id=24838232

Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City is treating a possible Ebola patient who recently traveled toWest Africa, hospital officials said.The patient arrived at the hospital’s emergency room early Monday morning with “a high fever and gastrointestinal symptoms,” according to a statement from the hospital. The patient has been isolated and is undergoing diagnostic testing.
    “All necessary steps are being taken to ensure the safety of all patients, visitors and staff,” the hospital said in a statement. “We will continue to work closely with federal, state and city health officials to address and monitor this case, keep the community informed and provide the best quality care to all of our patients."
    ABC News chief health and medical editor Dr. Richard Besser said the patient’s symptoms don’t necessarily point to Ebola, but Mount Sinai was following precautionary recommendations sent out by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last week.
    “Many things cause fever and gastrointestinal symptoms,” Besser said. “The steps they are taking are wise given the travel history, but nothing about the symptoms is specific to Ebola.”
    The death toll of the Ebola outbreak in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone climbed to 887, according to the World Health Organization. 1,603 people have been infected in all.
    It will take one or two days for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to test the patient’s blood, which will have been treated to kill live virus, a CDC spokesman said. So far, the CDC has tested blood samples from six patients with potential Ebola symptoms who recently traveled to West Africa.

Though I don't have an article to back it up yet, just watched the NBC nightly news. Brian Williams reported that there are about 2 dozen possible cases already here.

There are also reported "suspected" cases in MOrocco, Great Britain, and the Phillipines.
    Keep in mind, I said suspected, not confirmed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...on-centre.html
    http://therealsingapore.com/content/seven-suspected-cases-ebola-philippines

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Well, the two doctors that were transported to Atlanta were released this week from the hospital...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Twitchy... The thing that gets me is they say this 'experimental' drug has cured them. Should be fine then right? Why does the w.h.o. Say that the virus can lay dormant for up to 3 months, meaning that there is no sure way to tell if it's truly cured. You would think that the powers that be would err on the side of caution, no?

I'll most likely shit myself

Caveman, you are exactly on track in my mind. It just amazes me thar anyone would take the chance.

With as many countries have been getting scares nearly everyday, iMO it's just a matter of time.