Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What things should I have in my bug out bag?

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Keep yr gear dry! Get a wet weather bag for your pack. Ziploc your small items separately in case of a puncture.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

my bags are arranged by these priorities:
    Water/ water procurement
    Fire/ fire starting
    food/ food procurement
    shelter
    medical
    Skills to use above items.

these are really the very very base items to start out with. You can build on them in increments, but thee will get you started. All the other cool stuff can come in time and with experience.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

What things should I have in my bug out bag?

When I was 12, I became a Boy Scout. I had a Santa bag. For a week end I took books (light reading not outdoor technical) clothes for 4 days, snacks..... So over the 7 years I spent in scouting I went from 60 pounds of "stuff" to 25. I found that experience let me dump the extras. So back to your fishing for ideas. Start with the end goal. I defined my BOB to contain what I need post Hurricane/Tornado, where my residence was damaged past habitability. I also have a small ziplock bag of stuff for wilderness survival since this also doubles as my camping bag.

Really look critically at what you expect to have to deal with. The first place everyone goes is Assault Rifles. I love mine, but I don't expect to have to use it on zombies! But I also have a concealed carry permit so I have flexibility.

More important than any gear you get is practice! Take it to the field. Get first aid and CPR training. Camp. Skills may degrade but can't be confiscated or stolen. You will also find that your relatives don't act like you are crazy when you tell them you are prepping for weather disasters and you can engage them to do the same things you are.

I'll most likely shit myself

Another thought I had, try raising food for your family. Reaser h what veggies grow will in your area and most importantly, what veggies you like and will eat regular. This will do multiple thing, save your family money on food. Ost, teach you valuable skills, and I crease your families ability to have a food reservation e.

Premium Member
    That's why I said a large bag that could be broken down to smaller bags, in a SHTF situation depending on how far you gotta move and how fast you gotta move, will likely dictate how much your gonna move.

- - - Updated - - -

ditto, ziplock bags and water proofing everything in the bag, will make it somewhat bouyant.