Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bug out Routes

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Yeah, that's us. We got nowhere to go, and that is unlikely to change.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    I dont have anywhere to bug out to, yet... Id prefer somewhere close (less than an hour). I dont have money so I cant buy land, but good lord willing, that might change before I take my dirt nap... but, probably not..

EB
    It's ok EB, at least if you're dead, you'll get that little piece of ground you can call your own! Granted, its only 18 square feet, and you're dead, but Lets not focus on the details. Lol

I'm torn about bugging out these days. Obviously for the sake of my wife and son, I'll likely do it if there's no way of staying safely. That being said, I'm seriously considering eliminating one possible destination from my list. A very sweet couple we love to death has discovered the prepping lifestyle, and is doing it wrong. At least they've woken up right? NO. They don't listen to advice they've asked me for, and answers theyve been directed toward when I didn't have a good idea. So... I'm not joining them at the retreat they're setting up, and we won't be joining them in the ship containers they just bought to bury.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

For the Love of Cats

Keep in mind that a back up 'bug out route' could be handy just to get your ass home as well. If I am at work when shtf, I would imagine the roads would be inundated with people and vehicles. knowing I can follow the pipeline, or the aquaduct line and get home without running into the masses is a huge relief for me...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

My walk home from work would take me a week, unless I steal a helicopter. Almost 200 miles driving, and I would have to go around Houston, would not want to walk through that place with no rule of law.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    At least Ill die on US soil, aint that right AK??

Anyway, back on track... *IF* I can get us some BOL, it would be very wise to have more than one exedus!

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Actually, I already have that 18sq ft.

Going home from work involves crossing a 4 mile wide river. It has frozen over once in the past 45+ yrs., and not recently. If I go far enough, it's less, but until I go to the state capitol, all bridges have an opening span.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

I have two BOLs currently. Each is roughly 150 to 200 km away from my current coordinates. One is for a shorter term bug out (2-4 weeks) and is easier to get to due to my location in my city. The other is a long term bug out (4 weeks to indefinite )or even relocation but will take a little more effort to get to if I am trying to be stealthy. Either one will be a huge chore to get to however due to my family. Let's just say their constitution is not as determined as mine.

If my two compass points are Not accessible however, then I have a third as a VERY temporary shelter to regroup and evaluate the situation 1 to 3 days tops).

For my longer two treks I think rail lines would be the appropriate route for me. I have mapped the lines and know the routes in between (farmers fields I would need to jump from one line to another). Typically rail lines afford some invisibility. Usually are ditched on either side filled with taller grass, which is great for hiding in until the highway walkers pass by. There is usually an abundance of wild edibles there as well... Crickets, frogs, wild greens. Enough to supplement your carry.

In the winter, the rail line ditches also provide a shit load of snow for quinzee making if the need arises.

This is all provided that I have to hoof it by foot of course. If I have access to my vehicle it's back roads and overland as much as possible.winter and rains can put a quick stop to that as well however...so I always have my rail line maps with me lol

For the Love of Cats

damn... a whole post lost...

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    As just mentioned, Im a fan of rail lines since I have so many in my AO, and I know the routes of all of them!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.