Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strawberries

For the Love of Cats

interesting... may have to try that!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I have no idea what the species of strawberries are that my wife grows. They are fairly small but very good! She has them in a small bed that was formerly tomatos and peppers.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I tried a raised bed measuring 4' x 8' last year and planted about maybe 50 plants. We had a hot summer, and even though they bloomed and put out runners, they only produced about 20-30 berries in total, and only about 1 at a time. I did not do anything to them over the winter. We had several nights in the single digits, and one or two near zero, but many of the plants stayed green and alive all throughout the summer. We'll just have to wait a few more weeks to see how they did.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I planted 30 plants from root stock, about 8 came up, so I planted 18 more actual plants of a different breed and they're already making. I need them to do good this year. The box they're in is by far the most in-depth cedar box build I've done 3 tier 3'x6'x18"high. It's got about 1/2 a yard of really good soil in it and I buried the remainder of the soaker hose that's under the onion plastic into the box as well, so it should stay plenty moist. We've had strawberries stay alive thru the winter for several years before and they came back with a vengeance.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

For the Love of Cats

My plants come back every year... and that is after a crazy assed deep freeze for many months.

I'm planting a bunch of flowers near the strawberry beds to try to lure in some bees. They only time mine have done ok is when I self poliniated them a few years ago.

The wife laid down the law about me running around in a bee costume rubbing flowers all over me that year!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    My plants come back every year... and that is after a crazy assed deep freeze for many months.

I'm planting a bunch of flowers near the strawberry beds to try to lure in some bees. They only time mine have done ok is when I self poliniated them a few years ago.

The wife laid down the law about me running around in a bee costume rubbing flowers all over me that year!
    the wife sounds like a buzz-kill. if it works, do it.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

For the Love of Cats

buzz a buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz....

Do you have a robot?
    We plant them around the yard and they just grow. We do not have a formal garden when it comes to the strawberries. When my nieces and nephews come over we have them go out and get them like a Easter egg hunt. When they die back some I throw some good amended loam on a portion of them and they come back with a vengeance. Generally we get between 10 to 12 quarts of preserves a year from them.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I weeded the strawberry patch a few days ago and was very surprised to find so many of the plants alive and healthy. I lost some to the winter, and I don't know if the original or the runners survived, but I am happy with the results. There are green strawberry all over, and I ate 2 almost red ones today when I pulled out some more clover. It looks like this year will be a better year than the last.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I hate you all, I have about 3 sad strawberries so far this year.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.