Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heard an interesting conversation on the HF band this morning

For the Love of Cats

Hey BWRR... why didn't you say hi? seems to me making contact pre... would be easier than post... who knows, maybe they'd be good members here?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Hey BWRR... why didn't you say hi? seems to me making contact pre... would be easier than post... who knows, maybe they'd be good members here?
    Well I wrote down the freq. and time and what "intell" I needed and hope that I will catch them again. There is this thing called protocol in the ham world and they weren't exactly following that. So I was not going to interupt their business. They were Pretty involved in their work so I was not going to interfere. So I logged it and tucked it away. I look at it for future monitoring before I decide to take that step. It's a judgement call "asset or liability"?
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

For the Love of Cats

gothcha! makes sense... no disrespect intended.

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    gothcha! makes sense... no disrespect intended.
    Hey, we're good. I'm spinning the dial as we speak. Nothing but BS going right now, I'm hearing everybody talking about dogs, radios, compressors, antennas, just plain old BS. But if it skips a beat I'll hear it.

Bacon saver

The only thing Out of the ordinary I was hearing tonight was a guy in Israel. No actual traffic just Ham operators all wanting to make contact and piling up the freq. So it's not like I could try and contact him and ask him what the heck was going on over there.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    RATboy, obstructions are mostly a consideration for VHF and UHF (800, etc..)

With HF, your RF is mostly going up at say, a 45 deg angle off your dipole, hitting the ionsphere and then bouncing back down... You could be in a gully and not get out with VHF but make FB contacts on HF no problems..

Your elevation and such "do" play a part, but its not significant as you may think.. I build my own antennas and have had better luck with DIY than with "store bought" antennas.

Remember, the angle of RF is greater with dipoles than with verticals. I had my BEST luck with a HB vertical (video to come soon I hope). Nothing fancy, just wire in the air and GROUNDED OFF A CHAIN LINK FENCE FOR COUNTERPOISE! Ive QSOed California and several islands with it and only 100W.

Anywho... Gotta go, Ill keep in touch, well do a QSO via phone and go from there.. Maybe setup a semi weelky SKed for the colony....

Keep the faith, ever forward! HORAH
    EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Bacon saver

Gotcha, I've built antennas for the handhelds but I bought the others for my other one so I could get my ass on the air asap. I was in a hurry. Mine is a 100watt rig as well. Now as for the colony all I hear is CRICKETS..................I'll be standing by and spinning the dial again tonight.

I'll most likely shit myself

Chirp chirp!

I took a good look at my grapes over the weekend. I think I can tear out one pole on the arbor and replace it with my new one soon. Once i do that and cut a big limb out of a tree for my other end mount, the would allow me to start putting my antenna up. Maybe not a lot longer.

For the Love of Cats

If I had... would you actually hear me?

I remember as a kid pulling the BBC in on my Ghetto blaster on shortwave on a crisp night.

I'll most likely shit myself

Sniper, on the right band/time of day/band conditions, we would have no problems working you on hf.