Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Day

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.

Good Day

i was out getting ready to mow the front yard and my neighbor comes up and says, hey come look at this, you might know what's going on. he went and was talking about hornets and wasps. we get to the bush in question and low and behold, there was a late season swarm. first thought need to run across town and get a brood box, bottom and a top. while i was gone the neighbor decided to cut my front yard. nice guy. well get back, fix a couple things and went to cut the swarm free and put it in their new home. i am a 1st yr Beek, i have helped catch a few swarms, no big deal. so i went at it, shorts, t-shirt and tenney's. the neighbor and his son watched and were amazed that i didn't get stung the first time. i tried too explain. the bees right now could give two hoots for me or them, they were just looking for a 'new place' too live. since i am the only Beek in the immediate area, they are a swarm off of my current colony. i might ave missed a 'queen cell' in 1 of my look sees. i am hoping it's off of mine, my bees are like little puppies. same swarm, different pictures.

"Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

CC Gray Panther
    ALRIGHT !!!
    You keep growing those hives my man. Like the way you thought ahead on the spur of the moment and got the gear needed for the new queen. Ever expanding is the name of the game. And honey will be as valuable as gold in S.H.T.F. times.

thanks. how many .22 rds you think a pint is worth? or a quart?

i guess i could do a thread on beekeeping. well with my limited knowledge of it.

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

looks like a successful capture, here's their limb. went out too check on them, opened the lid and they were on the frames. so i removed the limb.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Cool, so you just cut the limb off with all those bees on it? I want to get into bees pretty bad, wife went to a class a few months ago.

Please do a thread on it.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    Cool, so you just cut the limb off with all those bees on it? I want to get into bees pretty bad, wife went to a class a few months ago.

Please do a thread on it.
    yep. nothing too it. i wished i had taken better pictures of the whole bush. they were maybe 18 in off the ground and when i was ready to do it, i just took the pruners and trimmed around until i had it clear enough. then i tried to cut the main part and hold the limb, the neighbor helped. he is afraid of them, just bees. i carried them maybe 5 ft and set them in the brood box, waited another 5 min for them to settle down, put the top on and moved the box to the side of the house till morning when i can build a proper stand for them. i have dogs and i keep my other hive up off the ground. bees are easy.

i will do another thread for you guys. w/pictures.

Where's the epi?

I love bees! Can't wait to be able to start.....ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
    I apologize for nothing...

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    nice catch!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

For the Love of Cats

what is the relation of bees to wasps and hornets? if there are a plethora of bees around will that discourage the others? Right now I have found two hives, one hornets and one wasps... both about the size of volleyballs.

I am deathly allergic to these bastards, will bees help keep them away, or would it go the other way. I kill off several hives like this each year, and they always come back... will bees help, or will they drive the bees off?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

here the wasps seem to give the bees their space. hornets, i have no clue. i haven't seen any since i was a kid in Indiana or been bothered with them? you might be allergic to honey bees as well.... might want to either have a 'emergency plan' in place and get a full bee suit or not messing with them. maybe get tested for honey bees? the toxins are different between wasps, hornets, bees etc. my friends bees can be nasty at times! last time i went and helped him, i had on my bee jacket and gloves and got stung a total of 17 times. mean little bastards, they are. they are folks who work bees knowing they are allergic, they like bees. just be careful in what you do.