Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Best Defense" knife review

finally pooped

"The Best Defense" knife review

"The Best Defense" knife

Got it for $7 but it's normally 8. Overall I'm fairly impressed with it. I got 5 knives at once so it only paid about 7 a piece.

First impression, it's sturdy and has a thick blade. Comes pretty sharp from the factory but not shaving sharp.
    The steel is really good and holds an edge great but the weakness is the tang. The size is a bit too big to be convenient to carry but for a heavy work knife it's not bad for size, weight and price.

I feel confident that I have a good grasp of the knife's capability since I bought them 3 years ago and have been using them for almost everything outdoors.

First knife got torture tested. Used the spine to saw through a few branches. Overall it did alright but the serrations arent deep enough to really grab and rip material out like a conventional saw. Used the knife and a hammer to split a few logs. hammering on the spine of the blade, it buried good and didn't damage the blade at all. Hammered it into a log point first. Got about 2 inches in and it snapped the tang in half like a toothpick.

Afterwards I tore one of the good ones apart to look at why and found that the tang is junk.

So I would give it about 5 out of 10 stars. Overall a "meh" rating.

Attached pictures since they say a thousand words, heres 2000.

For the Love of Cats

thanks for posting that... and as for that tang... why even bother? Even the mfg had to have known it was garbage.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    my thoughts exactly. may as well make it out of plastic. but I loved the blade. Might have to weld a better handle onto the remaining ones and just make them a rope wrapped.

For the Love of Cats

If you're careful you may be able to grab a long drill bit and bore out the handle to fit a more appropriate tang. and I agree. be a shame to waste such a nice blade.

You could also spend some time, and weld on an appropriate weighted tang to make a decent throwing knife. No wrapping necessary

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    Throwing a knife never made much sense to me. lol

For the Love of Cats

depends how many you have!!!

makes perfect sense to eliminate 10 targets at 10-20 feet before you get into hand to hand, and then have to deal with a couple, than to deal with a dozen on your front door. They can always be picked up after!

imo

finally pooped
    true enough. I have used large throwing darts, 1/4 inch steel rod with tags on the end. I just never trusted the knife to hit point first. Plus I don't know why I would carry that many knives!! lol

For the Love of Cats

I posted somewhere about some stars that I designed and plasma cut... 12+" dia... I could throw them clean through 3/4 inch plywood and stick hard into a tree behind them.

Bigger and heavier, like yours, even if it hit wrong, would still stun any attacker and buy you time!

finally pooped
    but how would you carry a bunch of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    i have a different take on knives, guys. in a survival situation, i am not betting my well being on a $7 knife and to answer your question simply... it would be the one your carrying at the time. i never leave the house without some sort of blade, be it Buck Strider, ZT, Kershaw, EESE the list is growing. like my favorite EDC is an Ontario Utilitac, looking at getting the Utilitac2.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy